Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM

93 posts, read 438,700 times

Advertisements

Hey all - any tips or secrets for training a half marathon? I've got my schedule of workouts, and just wanted some advice or tips from people who've done one before? Or even your favorite running song

Thanks!
C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
More information would be helpful. How long have you been running? Are you overweight or have any other injuries that would impact your running? What are your goals for the race (Do you have a specific finish time in mind? Are you just trying to finish and have fun?). All good things to know...

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM

I've been running for the heck of it my whole life and have done many 5K's and one 10K. I've taken the last couple years off running - I was busy having kids - and have been back to it the last 3 months or so. I do strength training twice a week and run 3x's a week, not overweight, no health issues.

I'm really just looking more for advice and info on getting more serious about running longer distances, and any tips from long time distance runners. Tips on hydrating and eating and fighting fatigue, beyond what the articles on places like active.com have to say.

I'd like to finish in 2 hours, but I think I'll be happy just to finish at all!

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
So are you planning on sticking with running 3x/week or will you be increasing your frequency? (most half-marathon programs have you running 5x/week). If you plan to cut some training runs from your schedule and stick with running 3x/week be sure to KEEP the weekend long run, the mid-week, sorta-long run, and one of the short runs.

Also, DON'T be tempted to skip rest days to make-up for missed runs or to get in other workouts. If you miss a run for some reason (sick, issues with kids, etc)...skip it, move on and don't try to work it in somewhere later in the week. Those rest days are just as important as those long run days!

Keeping your strength training routine is good, although don't overdo it or you may pay for it during your runs! Also, light spinning or swimming are also good cross-training/active recovery activities as well as an alternative to weights.

General rule of thumb is to run 30-45 seconds/mile slower in training than you intend to run during the race.

As for nutrition/hydration, keep doing what you are doing (or should be doing....drinking plenty of water and eating well. Chances are you'll be able to get through the majority of your runs without water and food although water might be a good thing if its really hot/muggy out.

Now, for your longer weekend training runs (9+miles), you will want to consider taking both water and a bit of food with you. The general rule of thumb is that consuming calories generally isn't neccessary until you are running longer than 90 minutes or thereabouts. A good idea is to PRACTICE with the type of food you plan to use at the race. That way, you'll know what foods work for you and what ones don't work..everybody is different. Types of food include gels/gu, or maybe those clif-blocs (gummy bear like consistency), or hard candy...they are all good options. Also good idea to try drinking whatever sport drink they are offering at the race. Race day is a bad time to find out Gatorade gives you stomach cramps (Gatorade for example would destroy me at the marathon distance, but I'm usually good with it for a half-marathon).

That's all I can think of right now...good luck!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 PM

141 posts, read 466,840 times
I am 25 yrs old, run frequently but take periods off just out of sheer laziness and I've done 3 half-marathons. For each I really only "prepared" one month in advance. I can't speak for everyone on this, but I really don't take half marathons seriously. As long as you are not a beginner runner, they are a piece of cake and there really isn't much to worry about (that is, if your goal is just to finish). For all three half marathons I would usually run about 20-25 miles a week, with most of my runs usually 5-6 miles each. The most I would run before a half marathon was 8 miles and I had no problem completing the half marathon on race day. But if you are not a frequent runner, be prepared for all kinds of aches and pains! The main thing you need to prepare yourself for is the constant pounding and stress on your lower extremity joints. Each time I've done the half marathon races, my hip and knee flexers started to get stiff around mile 10. Just keep pushing through your pain and don't let the person behind you pass you!

If you want more specific advice though, we will need more info: goals, your level, etc?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csphillips18 View Post
Hey all - any tips or secrets for training a half marathon? I've got my schedule of workouts, and just wanted some advice or tips from people who've done one before? Or even your favorite running song

Thanks!
C
I run one every year. If you can run 7 miles, You'll do fine. Your mind takes you the rest of the way.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 PM

51 posts, read 137,962 times
Quote:

Thanks!
C

I don't really have much advice, but I'm preparing to run my first half marathon too, in September. I am a beginner and have been following a marathon training schedule. I am currently in my 5th week and last Sunday ran my long run of 9 miles. At this point I feel pretty confident that I will be able to run the 1/2 and finish.

On my long runs I have been taking a GU energy gel with me and eating it at my halfway point. I make sure I have water or a sports drink with me when I go on my long runs, especially since I live in the desert.

I also attend a spin class 2x a week and try to implement core training on the days I do my spinning.

Let us know how it goes!

I wish you the best!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
You've been given some really great advice.

My tips?

I rotate my shoes. Part superstition on my part, but I never wear the same pair two days in a row. Happy feet, happy runner.

I like these for longer runs (no need to find drinking fountains)

Amazon.com: Ultimate Direction Fastdraw Plus: Sports & Outdoors

Try some trail-running. It's a nice way to mix things up when you start to get bored with the road.

Finally, find a training partner. Makes the long runs less boring. Helps motivate you on those days you have a hard time getting out the door. Also, safety in numbers (especially for women) when you end up on isolated country roads or are running in the dark.

Have fun!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Thanks guys! I do have a training schedule that I've printed out and am going to follow, so I will be increasing the frequency of my runs, and also trying to fit in the strength training and maybe a day or two of spinning.

I'm motivated to get more serious about running longer distances, so I really do appreciate all the tips - especially things you've learned along the way that would've been great to know in the beginning.

Also, besides a good pair of shoes, what are some good ways you protect your joints and shins?

Thanks again!
C

Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:

Thanks!
C
It has been a long time since I trained for any long distance race, but when prepping for a marathon I would starting two weeks prior to the race shift from a 4/5 day week running (around 50 to 60 miles) schedule to a six days week. That last week of training would start with a low 8/9 mile run ramping up to day 6 at about 23 miles. I had the extra problem of training in an area where hills were non existent, and races seemed to search out hills to run. I always felt the last week push prepared me mentally for the hills I couldn’t train on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness