Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:04 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendylady View Post
thank you all for the words of encouragement!! i have been doing much better since i posted originally... i am doing freestyle and breastroke when i get tired.. im not a big fan of having my face in the water though. i still haven't gotten any ocean time i but i have a month to practice...just need to get through the race... no one expects me to be a stellar swimmer, right? ;>broadbill- i am doing the maniac tri in biddeford...when is lobsterman??

Thanks for getting back to us.

Here's a funny tidbit: I grew up in San Diego CA, swimming and surfing in the Pacific. Pools, with all of that chlorine and cement, terrify me.

Salt water is more buoyant. You should be OK.

When the strong cyclists and runners catch the swimmers in a tri it is called "fishing".

Good luck and have a blast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
Quote:
i am doing the maniac tri in biddeford...when is lobsterman??
i almost signed up for that one. i believe its in an area with no or very little waves, so the swim shouldnt be too bad. i almost want to say that youd be ok with no wetsuit

Old 08-28-2009, 08:44 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Lobsterman is the 19th in Freeport....and if I thought about it for a minute I would have realized that Lobsterman is a an Olympic Distance race and you are doing a sprint...duh

Anyway, more good tips have been posted. About doing breaststroke: if you know that you are going to switch over from Freestyle to Breaststroke sometime during the swim, I would suggest starting and staying to the side (and possibly behind) the main pack. The Breaststroke kick takes up alot of water and can get pretty dicey when you are swimming in a pack (nothing worse than catching a foot to the head from someone swimming breaststroke).

Even if you are planning on swimming the whole thing freestyle, but slowly...starting to the side/back is good advice...minimize the number of people swimming over you!
Good luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
i almost signed up for that one. i believe its in an area with no or very little waves, so the swim shouldnt be too bad. i almost want to say that youd be ok with no wetsuit
In my previous post I said the water was 55 degrees....I was wrong!

My wife told me last night that is is closer to 65 degrees now! Definitely warm enough to swim without a wetsuit. Although I might still consider one for its floatation, especially in wendylady's case.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 AM

18 posts, read 100,357 times
i did get a wetsuit already...its not tri specific (because they are priced around $300). i just picked one up from L.L. bean...more like $130...especially being my first tri... i didn't feel like the time spent in the water warranted the expense...i have found a few people willing to jump in the water with me in the next few weeks...

Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
i did get a wetsuit already...its not tri specific (because they are priced around $300). i just picked one up from L.L. bean...more like $130...especially being my first tri... i didn't feel like the time spent in the water warranted the expense...i have found a few people willing to jump in the water with me in the next few weeks...

Here is my 2 cents....utilize L.L. Bean's awesome return policy and return that wetsuit. Its a waste of $130 for what you want to use it for. You need a tri-specific wetsuit....they are designed with neoprene of varying thickness and with flexible sections to allow swimming.

The LL Bean version is for splashing around in the waves and you find swimming in it very difficult. You'd probably be better off swimming with no wetsuit than with that wetsuit.

I'd look into renting a tri-specific wetsuit- have you been to Peak Performance on Marginal way in Portland? They rent wetsuits $75 for the weekend:

Peak Performance - Rentals

Hope this helps!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Where is the OP at? You can find cheap farmer john shorty wet suits at surf shops and resale shops. Now that wind surfing is popular you can find them across the Country.

A good wetsuit can help you calm down swimming.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 AM

so the mainiac tri was last weekend!!
here are my results:
224th place total time 1:47:53 swim: 12:20 t-1: 5:00 bike: 55:11 t-2: 1:59 run: 33:25
not the happiest with my results but i happened to get really sick the week before...and i am still sick now. unfortunately all of my illness is in my lungs only ( kinda need them to breathe)
i pushed through it anyways having put so much effort into training..
the local moms in motion group had a test drive the tri the wednesday before the race so i went to swim with them... it was just about sunset with 3 foot waves.. if i made it through that i could certainly make it through the race...
race day was bright and sunny and much calmer so all things were much better than the test drive night... swimming with a large group is so much less intimidating!
the race director reccommended i wear a bright pink swim cap so i was more visible to the support staff.
i just took my time and just focused on having a good time...
and i will be taking some swimming lessons this winter

Broadbill- i did take your advice and return my L.L.bean wetsuit. i ended up getting a tri specific suit from xterra... they had a great deal through active.com. i got a $400 suit for $150...
how was the lobsterman??

Old 10-03-2009, 11:34 AM

also, i thought i would add that as i was swimming, i heard several women apologizing as they bumped into each other... not sure if the men were the same or more competitive. i'm guessing they weren't as nice to each other. ;>
and all along the whole race, competitors would shout words of encouragement to other racers...it was such a great uplifting exprerience!!

Old 10-03-2009, 01:18 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
Quote:
also, i thought i would add that as i was swimming, i heard several women apologizing as they bumped into each other... not sure if the men were the same or more competitive. i'm guessing they weren't as nice to each other. ;>
and all along the whole race, competitors would shout words of encouragement to other racers...it was such a great uplifting exprerience!!

congrats on the tri! finishing them is hard enough!

if you havent already, check out BeginnerTriathlete.com - Triathlon Training for Beginners

no, i got no apologies when i was kicked. i have in the past started in the back of my heat. but i am actually faster then most so next year i will start in the front
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness