Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,541 times

Advertisements

Eating is fundamental with exercise in order to change your body. Doing anabolic steroids without weight lifting would get you no where. Its a combination of changes. Eating properly is actually more important in body changes than exercise but combined is where you get the health benefits and see really good changes. You can custom fit your diet to whatever you're trying to do with your body. Here are some samples.

Trying to add muscle/strength: High protein with heavy weight training
Trying to lose fat: Low fat combined with lots of cardio
Toning: Low fat, high cardio, light weight training
Endurance: High healthy carbs, heavy cardio, moderate/light weight training

You could go on for forever based on your fitness goals. Things you want to avoid pretty much universally are enriched white flours like white bread, white rice, whole milk unless going for weight gain, potatoes are pretty much crap, filler foods like lettuce/refried beans, anything thats been processed (ham, bacon, sausage), anything microwavable, anything that has strange food additives that are codewords for MSG (natural flavoring, autolyzed yeast, modified food starch, etc..), soy foods, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Eating is fundamental with exercise in order to change your body. Doing anabolic steroids without weight lifting would get you no where. Its a combination of changes. Eating properly is actually more important in body changes than exercise but combined is where you get the health benefits and see really good changes. You can custom fit your diet to whatever you're trying to do with your body. Here are some samples.

You could go on for forever based on your fitness goals. Things you want to avoid pretty much universally are enriched white flours like white bread, white rice, whole milk unless going for weight gain, potatoes are pretty much crap, filler foods like lettuce/refried beans, anything thats been processed (ham, bacon, sausage), anything microwavable, anything that has strange food additives that are codewords for MSG (natural flavoring, autolyzed yeast, modified food starch, etc..), soy foods, etc...
I drink gluten-free soy milk, and have never had a problem with it.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Soy foods increase your estrogen levels and can decrease your ability to shed fat and put on muscle. It affects people differently though. I think some people are way more sensitive to it.

I agree you have to watch what you eat somewhat. If you ate zero processed things, the proper amount of meat and got your fruit and veggie count in that should get you to a healthy weight. Junk food, meat,nuts and fats can put on weight because its so calorie dense without the volume to make you feel full. So by the time your brain catches up to what you put in your stomach of processed or dense high calorie foods, you already may have overeaten accidently.

This quote sticks in my head:
" you can't out train a bad diet"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbuzsY_34Q

Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
I must watch what I eat. Exercise is good and helps - but means nothing if I am not careful with what I take in.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:30 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times
That's quite interesting. I guess this just shows how there are individual differences in all of this. I eat cereal almost every morning for breakfast. And, I always put gluten-free soy milk on it. I guess I've been lucky, because I have not gained any weight. I excercise 5 days a week, and have maintained less than 6% body fat for a little over 2 yrs now. (I should say that I typically do not eat sugars -- or foods that turn to sugar quickly in your body.) In fact, I have excersized about the same for quite a few years, and have always had about 9% body fat. However, about 3 yrs ago I significantly reduced my sugar intake, which seemed to help reduce my body fat percentage more.

I also strongly believe that your diet plays a significant role in your overall health. Exercise alone is insufficient.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:47 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I bet eating the low sugar helped cancel anything out. I don't really notice a huge change in my body other than when I drink a lot of soy milk my skin looks great. I think its the vitamins in it though.

If you want to do some reading on it if you are bored:
Google: warrior diet

They say drinking also increases your estrogen. Not with that I do notice a change in my body. But that has the sugars too! So that + bloating could be it. I know its a lot easier to lose weight on the same amt of calories when I have zero drinks and zero estrogenic foods. But its not enough to keep it as practice.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
If you exercise enough, is it still necessary to watch what you eat, or do you think that you can burn off the calories and maintain an equilibrium with exercise. Just wondering what your personal experiences have been on this. I know that in some countries where people do a lot of walking and burn off calories that way, they do not place the emphasis on watching what they eat the way we seem to, and the populations are much slimmer.
This is true for many other countires because their food supply isn't so heavily subsidized that virtually 90% of the "foods" contain sugar. Almost everything in a US supermarket is laden with sugars and chemicals, and its impossible to eat that kind of crap and stay fit and healthy. This is why 60% of our society is overweight or obese. It isn't a coincidence that the overweight/obesity rates skyrocketed along with the rates in which corn syrup and other sugars were developed as the cheapest and most common calorie in the supermarket.

People who know my age look at me and ask what is my secret, what is my diet etc, and it's pretty simple - stop eating garbage and exercise regularly.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 AM

865 posts, read 2,432,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Soy foods increase your estrogen levels and can decrease your ability to shed fat and put on muscle. It affects people differently though. I think some people are way more sensitive to it.

I agree you have to watch what you eat somewhat. If you ate zero processed things, the proper amount of meat and got your fruit and veggie count in that should get you to a healthy weight. Junk food, meat,nuts and fats can put on weight because its so calorie dense without the volume to make you feel full. So by the time your brain catches up to what you put in your stomach of processed or dense high calorie foods, you already may have overeaten accidently.

This quote sticks in my head:
" you can't out train a bad diet"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbuzsY_34Q
That really puts it into perspective, doesn't it.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post

I agree with many things you've said, but what's wrong with lettuce? It has vitamins, fiber, no fat and practically no calories.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree with many things you've said, but what's wrong with lettuce? It has vitamins, fiber, no fat and practically no calories.
Iceberg lettuce is basically a "nothing" food. Rule is the darker the leaf, the more nutritional qualities it has. If you want greens or salad, make it with baby spinach instead. Lettuce really has almost ZERO nutritional value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness