Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times

Advertisements

Ok, action time !

Due to a combination of stopping smoking, excessive working, poor lifestyle, and laziness, I've put on a lot of weight. No excuses, I know it's largely my fault.

Please note I'm not looking to have tips on which diet to follow, or which exercise plan to use, I've already decided what to do.

My problem is, I'm not really very fit, and I'd ideally like to shed 30 pounds plus.
I also have a heart condition.

Should I concentrate on my weight, to bring it down to a "safer" level, while gradually increasing my exercise, or am I likely to find it hard to shift weight by changing my diet, without changing exercise.
Specifically, should I concentrate on eating, or exercise first.

It's one of those "which came first, chicken or egg" scenarios !!

thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I think you could do both at the same time, couldn't you? For instance, you could watch what you eat while increasing your exercise gradually--say, by walking around the block a few times.

Good for you, by the way!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 AM

Thanks.
That's pretty much what I was figuring to do.

I started walking an hour a day, i had intended to gradually build that up, but those plans went astray at Christmas, because i went on holiday.
I'll start that again this week.

I used to quite like cycling, and would like to get back to it, but I don't want to just get my bike out and start cycling if I'm just gonna give myself a coronary, because I'm too overweight and unfit.

Any suggestions to get back into cycling ?
I do have an exercise bike. Should I gradually build up my fitness on that, before getting the real bike out ?

How much should I do for it to be effective ? 30 mins a day ?

Or, again, should I just stick to the walking, and dieting, and bring my weight down first, before starting with the bike ?

Thanks peeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think you could do both at the same time, couldn't you? For instance, you could watch what you eat while increasing your exercise gradually--say, by walking around the block a few times.

Good for you, by the way!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:15 AM

30 minutes a day is a good goal. Depending on what shape you are in, 30 minutes on the bike might be too much at first, but because you really like it, you might try it and see. I'd start on the stationary bike at home, so that you can easily stop if you need to. If you spend all your energy biking a few miles from home, it'll be hard to get back.

Whether you are walking or cycling, you should be working hard enough so that you feel warm and break a sweat but still can breathe and talk. If you are panting and sweating hard, take it easy. Breathing hard is OK, but you should be able to talk. It sounds silly, but when I climb the stairs at my office, I recite the ABCs. It's rhythmic and lets me "talk" to myself, so I can make sure I am breathing. (I used to hold my breath a lot when I exercised.)

It's cold and icy here, so I work out indoors. When spring rolls back around, I'll be jogging and biking. It's good that you can get outdoors. I recommend you do what you enjoy, because it will be that much easier to keep up. Just take it slow at first. I think walking and the stationary bike are good to start, but if you can do those for half an hour without being winded, get on the real bike! Be sure to drink plenty of water, and do some stretching afterward.

When you get back to biking, I do have one suggestion: padded seat!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:18 AM

Also, I'm not sure what the altitude is where you live. I lived in Colorado at 6500 feet for three years. I went for a bike ride and thought I was going to pass out--it was the closest I've ever come to fainting. Not enough oxygen. So be careful.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Ok, action time !

Due to a combination of stopping smoking, excessive working, poor lifestyle, and laziness, I've put on a lot of weight. No excuses, I know it's largely my fault.

Please note I'm not looking to have tips on which diet to follow, or which exercise plan to use, I've already decided what to do.

My problem is, I'm not really very fit, and I'd ideally like to shed 30 pounds plus.
I also have a heart condition.

Should I concentrate on my weight, to bring it down to a "safer" level, while gradually increasing my exercise, or am I likely to find it hard to shift weight by changing my diet, without changing exercise.
Specifically, should I concentrate on eating, or exercise first.

It's one of those "which came first, chicken or egg" scenarios !!

thanks for any suggestions.
Because of your heart condition I would defer to an MD. Preferably a cardiologist for any advice on working out. I would advise you to do the same instead of asking people on a message board what to do.

Ive been around these parts (CD Diet/Exercise/Fitness forums) for quite a while and 90% of the people who post here really have no clue as to what they are doing when it comes to exercise. If I were you I would seek the advice of your cardiologist instead.

I can suggest that effective immediately, you can change your diet. I usually stay away from saying the word "diet" because of the negative charge people feel when they hear it. Instead, I like to say "nutrition plan". Start with eating LOTS of leafy green veggies (spinach and broccoli are my personal favs) and in moderation eat your fruits, grains, carbs and proteins. Stay away from ANY AND ALL fad diets that talk about "low carb" or "low protein" or "low" anything else. What you need to do is concentrate on "FUELING YOUR BODY" and eating any and all foods that are GOOD FOR YOU.

Good luck.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 01-25-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks, my cardiologist reckons that exercise in moderation is fine.
He thinks cycling is ok.

I'm not expecting to lose 40 pounds in a year, I'm not gonna set goals, so long as it comes off, I'm happy with that.

I'm planning to cut back heavily on drinking alcohol, and to move toward eating more fish, and vegetables. At least, that way, I don't have to eat less, I can eat as much as I want, so I won't get hungry.

So, walking, and then eventually cycling, or light running will be ok for me.

Normally I wouldn't post up on here, but it isn't easy to get an appointment with my cardiologist, so I'm hoping there is someone on the board who may be a qualified trainer or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Because of your heart condition I would defer to an MD. Preferably a cardiologist for any advice on working out. I would advise you to do the same instead of asking people on a message board what to do.

Ive been around these parts (CD Diet/Exercise/Fitness forums) for quite a while and 90% of the people who post here really have no clue as to what they are doing when it comes to exercise. If I were you I would seek the advice of your cardiologist instead.

I can suggest that effective immediately, you can change your diet. I usually stay away from saying the word "diet" because of the negative charge people feel when they hear it. Instead, I like to say "nutrition plan". Start with eating LOTS of leafy green veggies (spinach and broccoli are my personal favs) and in moderation eat your fruits, grains, carbs and proteins. Stay away from ANY AND ALL fad diets that talk about "low carb" or "low protein" or "low" anything else. What you need to do is concentrate on "FUELING YOUR BODY" and eating any and all foods that are GOOD FOR YOU.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I would say take baby steps. Don't try and tackle everything at once. Try to say you will exercise for 10 minutes a day and have two servings of vegetables. Do this for two weeks, than add on to your regime.

Slowly but surely these will become habits and a lifestyle rather than a diet and exercise.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post

I'm planning to cut back heavily on drinking alcohol, and to move toward eating more fish, and vegetables. At least, that way, I don't have to eat less, I can eat as much as I want, so I won't get hungry.

So, walking, and then eventually cycling, or light running will be ok for me.

Normally I wouldn't post up on here, but it isn't easy to get an appointment with my cardiologist, so I'm hoping there is someone on the board who may be a qualified trainer or similar.
Well Im not a trainer but Im a massage therapist (whoopee I know ) haha
but anyways speaking from experience of myself and those around me... you should definitely cut back on the alcohol (huge huge HUGE calorie intake!!) and switch to veggies, fruits, complex carbs (all white stuff out for brown... rice, pasta, bread, etc) and high protein meats (lean ground beef, chicken, salmon, tuna, turkey). I wouldnt say to eat as much as you want because that will actually sabotage what youre trying to accomplish!! BUT cut down to 2000 calories a day and eat 6 times a day (3 small meals and 3 snacks). and of course Watch your serving sizes!!! (28 almonds MEANS 28 almonds...not 29 or 32!!!)

As for exercise, Id definitely start off with just walking everyday (at least a mile)... you will see a difference just by doing that for about a month, then slowly incorporate your exercise bike in maybe twice a week as additional activity and then increase it from there as you feel comfortable.

I found this way easiest because I could concentrate on eating right and just moving more (the walking) then you slowly build up to actually "working out".

Good luck, stay motivated and focused, dont forget WATER WATER WATER and that you cant fail if you dont give up... as long as you are still putting forth some effort, you are succeeding

Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
What is your heart condition if I may ask?

Because if you are on blood thinners, me telling you to eat more green veggies would kill your ass.

Which is kinda funny in a way because of how some kids act when you try to get them to eat that type of stuff.

If you can't get an appointment with your cardio guy take notes on what you want to do and submit it to his office for review before you do it. That can go faster. Also look for a teaching hospital in you area or ask your current cardio guy for a reference.

If I were you I would make an appointment with a nutritionist. They know heart condition limitations. Its not like going to a Weight Watchers or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness