Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:29 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
no u didn't.

that's the way to do it. i also think people should try to utilize multiple sets at a time instead of doing just 1 like programs like 5x5 and rippetoes have it.
Err, I'm pretty sure Ripptoe and all 5x5's have multiple sets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
I think it because the deadlift is so easy to do wrong. A lot of people think the deadlift is just bending over and picking up the barbell and nothing else to it. These same people often end up hurting their backs in the process.

The deadlift is my favorite exercise. I've seen only one other woman who does conventional deadlifts at my gym. I think a lot of women are intimidated by this exercise because they mainly see men doing it.

I have seen plenty of men at my gym that deadlift. So it seems to just be unpopular with women here.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
I like squating and deadlifting when I'm not planning to go running. I'm focusing alot more on cardio lately so I don't get to do these since I don't want to run with sore legs and I don't want to squat with sore legs either since I don't want my legs to gave out. I think they are great excerises. The gym I go to doesn't have a track but my old one did and I would do some squats after running, I was be so drained.

The other reason why I don't get to do them is because they aren't enough squating areas. There are usually only two and for whatever reason, the people who squat need to work out in packs. Three dudes at the squat bar area spend about 20-30 minutes. I don't have enough time to wait for them or work out on other stuff many times. When I workout on the weekends, this is when I like to hit the squatting bars because there isn't someone asking you how many reps you have left every 2 minutes. I did deadlifts last weekend for the first time in a long time, my hams were so sore and my back got a great workout.

I am definitely going to do these more when I can.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Err, I'm pretty sure Ripptoe and all 5x5's have multiple sets
well not counting warmup sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I like squating and deadlifting when I'm not planning to go running. I'm focusing alot more on cardio lately so I don't get to do these since I don't want to run with sore legs and I don't want to squat with sore legs either since I don't want my legs to gave out. I think they are great excerises. The gym I go to doesn't have a track but my old one did and I would do some squats after running, I was be so drained.

The other reason why I don't get to do them is because they aren't enough squating areas. There are usually only two and for whatever reason, the people who squat need to work out in packs. Three dudes at the squat bar area spend about 20-30 minutes. I don't have enough time to wait for them or work out on other stuff many times. When I workout on the weekends, this is when I like to hit the squatting bars because there isn't someone asking you how many reps you have left every 2 minutes. I did deadlifts last weekend for the first time in a long time, my hams were so sore and my back got a great workout.

I am definitely going to do these more when I can.
yeah my gym only has 1 rack for anything with a barbell (i deadlift and power clean behind the rack)... and 2 smith machines!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:02 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
I do deadlifts, just did them on Saturday.
My hams grow pretty easily its my quads I need more help with!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
I had some people tell me that deadlift is for girls and real men don't need to do it. And the thing about the hips is true to a certain extent so I guess most men would like to have tiny legs most of them only do endless curls and 2/3 benchpress and they have a standard amount they use.
Given your well-documented history of lying about your height and weight, I think it's safe to say you have no credibility, which is why I doubt anyone ever told you this. Most people, even people who don't exercise, have probably caught a glimpse of a powerlifting competition while flipping channels on TV. They know that it's an exercise that requires a great deal of strength. I doubt any would ever say it's for girls. If anyone's likely to say an exercise is for girls, it would be you.

Quote:
This is a big reason why I invested in home equipment. The squat is one of, if not the best, exercises you can do. So much of your body is recruited to do that one exercise. The last thing I want is someone watching me, asking me how many more reps I have left to perform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
My hams grow pretty easily its my quads I need more help with!
Lucky you. I have the exact opposite problem.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm planning to do squats and deadlifts today UNLESS there is a pack of people. Went running yesterday but my legs aren't too bad. I'll just do a little less weight if I feel like my legs can't handle my norm. I really don't understand why gyms don't have more of the equipment which produces the best results. They have so many stupid ab machines which most people use incorrectly and don't need.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
I had some people tell me that deadlift is for girls and real men don't need to do it.
I seriously doubt that. I've yet to see any woman do deadlifts other than on tv. In fact I've never seen another woman besides myself lift free weights at all in public.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
Quote:
I'm planning to do squats and deadlifts today UNLESS there is a pack of people. Went running yesterday but my legs aren't too bad. I'll just do a little less weight if I feel like my legs can't handle my norm. I really don't understand why gyms don't have more of the equipment which produces the best results. They have so many stupid ab machines which most people use incorrectly and don't need.
good luck

also just a quick suggestion- try to plan your workout schedule so you're not squatting (and deadlifting if that effects you too) heavy the day after running.

In response to why gyms don't have more barbells/racks--- if you were a trainer at a commercial gym(there are good trainers at other gyms), would you want to take the time to teach everyone to squat/deadlift? It's EXTREMELY rare to see someone with a perfect squat, and it's also really hard work; people want easy results by using machines- i guarantee you that if everyone worked out with a trainer who pushed them to the limit that the gym would be out of business within months. I was so dizzy after my last deadlift session that i had to take a 10-15 minute break from my other lifts.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
also just a quick suggestion- try to plan your workout schedule so you're not squatting (and deadlifting if that effects you too) heavy the day after running.
Yea I know. I might have to carpool tomorrow so no gym when I carpool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness