Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM

199 posts, read 591,769 times

Advertisements

Right now, I am going through a phase of reducing body fat. I have at least 10 lbs. to go, and probably a bit more than that.

Once those 10 lbs of fat are gone, I am focusing on increasing lean mass. This is primarily to help me play sports at a high level, and to keep my metabolism high so that I can remain lean. Of course, looking good is a factor, but the first two aspects are most important.

I'm approx 5'9" and low 160 range. I will cut down to 153 or so, and then am ready to increase my body weight back up to mid 160's, but with lean mass not fat.

How many calories should I consume? I'll be doing 3 weight training sessions a week, plus aerobic exercise 3-4X a week or more.

My understanding is approx. 1g of protein per pound of body weight during athletic days.

What has worked for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
How many calories should I consume?
Roughly 25 calories per pound of body weight. Adjust as needed.

Quote:
I'll be doing 3 weight training sessions a week, plus aerobic exercise 3-4X a week or more.
Stay FAR, FAR AWAY from aerobics when you're on a bulking phase. You should stay away from aerobics period, but especially when bulking. Aerobics = the enemy of the bulking phase.

There is alot of debate in the bodybuilding and athletic communities about whether cardio in any form will help or hinder a bulking phase. Right now it seems that the general consensus is that any cardio you do on the bulking phase should be light and ideally less than 30 minutes in length. At that rate and intensity you might get a little benefit, but you won't really hurt your gains either.

Quote:
My understanding is approx. 1g of protein per pound of body weight during athletic days.
Correct.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 AM

Whoa! Are you serious????

That's 4,000 calories a day! I'm concerned I will get fat all over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Roughly 25 calories per pound of body weight. Adjust as needed.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 AM

I guess my question is this: is it possible to BOTH put on lean mass AND to cut body fat at the same time? That would be ideal.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Whoa! Are you serious????

That's 4,000 calories a day! I'm concerned I will get fat all over again!
You will put on some bodyfat, but that's the nature of bulking phases. Don't worry though, it'll be a very controlled gain and when you're done (a couple weeks) you'll go through another cutting phase to lose the extra bodyfat and you'll have more lean mass as a result.

Quote:
I guess my question is this: is it possible to BOTH put on lean mass AND to cut body fat at the same time? That would be ideal.
Not really. If you're doing a keto style diet like I do than yes, you can lose fat and add a little bit of lean mass, but for the most part weight loss and adding lean mass are mutually exclusive.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
no not really, only if your a beginner. Look up whats called a lean slow bulk. They have plenty of articles on internet.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 AM

550 posts, read 1,214,919 times
Quote:
Right now, I am going through a phase of reducing body fat. I have at least 10 lbs. to go, and probably a bit more than that.

Once those 10 lbs of fat are gone, I am focusing on increasing lean mass. This is primarily to help me play sports at a high level, and to keep my metabolism high so that I can remain lean. Of course, looking good is a factor, but the first two aspects are most important.

I'm approx 5'9" and low 160 range. I will cut down to 153 or so, and then am ready to increase my body weight back up to mid 160's, but with lean mass not fat.

How many calories should I consume? I'll be doing 3 weight training sessions a week, plus aerobic exercise 3-4X a week or more.

What has worked for you?
*1g of protein/lb of bodyweight regardless of if it is a training day or not.
*Cardio before breakfast,
*Cutting down on carbs first and foremost.
*Decreasing Calorie intake from 3500/day to 2500/day
(Measurements: 6'4 196 lbs)

This is what I begin with doing whenever I've decided to deff down, but It allways needs some adjusting with ammount of cardio and calories eaten.
You may lose weight while consuming 4000 calories for all I know if you are competing at a high level in sports or you may have to eat only 1500... It's impossible to tell without monitoring your weight progress under certain calorieintakes... you simply have to learn to know your own body.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
I liked going low as possible in body fat and weight and then worry about getting strong. If you get a little fat from it, so what...you have the room. I think its best to reduce more pounds than you think you need to to make room for fat gains as long as you keep you fat at a healthy level.

Don't forget there is protein in your breads, fruits and veggies. Do not over do protein or it will work against you. The 1g of protein is not really needed. Its kinda a myth. More protein will not make you gain more muscle:
Will Eating More Protein Help Your Body Gain Muscle Faster?

I agree to not do cardio. Its just going to be 500+ calories more or whatever you burn off that you are going to have to eat back for gains. As for what you should eat calorie wise its going to depend on your final weight and final intake. If you want to avoid fat gains you need to increase your calories slowly from that cut level. Especially if you are cutting out cardio. I personally like to increase calories 200 calories every week or two. I watch the scale, mirror and body fat as I do it. The body fat will go up when you hit your personal threshold. It may be lower than projected if you are using calculators. But if you stay at your personal threshold, and strength train; your metab will pick up again and you can increase your cals after a couple pounds drop off. (indicates increased metab)

Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 PM

181 posts, read 598,671 times
lol, are you serious PIT? Too much protein CAN be bad, but only if you're not eating enough carbs. That article is terrible. It's defying what every renown strength coach and nutritionist says. I have read many ridiculous articles written by people with outstanding credentials, but that doesn't make them right. Maybe 36% grams per BW is fine if you're not trying to build muscle, i actually have no idea- but if you're trying to bulk up, or even cut and maintain that's a ridiculously low number.

Also, this is more of a general statement about cardio; I think doing HIIT or complexes is a good way of intaking more calories. It can be bad if you don't eat enough after you're done (when trying to bulk), but as long as you monitor your diet then running is fine, and sometimes recommended.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Don't forget there is protein in your breads, fruits and veggies. Do not over do protein or it will work against you. The 1g of protein is not really needed. Its kinda a myth. More protein will not make you gain more muscle:
Will Eating More Protein Help Your Body Gain Muscle Faster?
I hate to call bull**** on someone who is actually a doctor, but that article was horrible. Her whole basis of telling people not to increase the protein intake is because some idiots take more in and expect it to be a miracle without putting the work in, and her comments on keto diets are pretty far off base.

The 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is a very safe guideline that has held up over decades now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness