Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:04 AM

47 posts, read 150,357 times

Advertisements

I bought a 1988 Toyota 4Runner yesterday... good price, but the windshield's badly cracked, and needs to be replaced. Any first-hand recommendations for auto glass repair, here in Fairbanks?

ADDED: Any experiences (good/bad) with Speedy Glass on Forty Mile Avenue? How about Dietrich Auto Repair?

Last edited by JBHoren; 11-19-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
If you can still see out of the windshield I wouldn't worry about it, yet. Mine looks like a spider web but there's a space right above the windshield I can still see out of.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:28 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
If you can still see out of the windshield I wouldn't worry about it, yet. Mine looks like a spider web but there's a space right above the windshield I can still see out of.
and if you get a flat tire don't worry about that either because it's only flat on the bottom...

Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 PM

My experience with flat tires in Fairbanks in the winter is that once you drive them a few miles they'll round back out. And if you'd ever spent anytime in Alaska you'd realize that cracked windshields are very common up here. Unless it's blocking your view or you rich or have good insurance most people don't worry to much about them.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
And if you'd ever spent anytime in Alaska you'd realize that cracked windshields are very common up here. Unless it's blocking your view or you rich or have good insurance most people don't worry to much about them.
Well-and-good, but... the center of the "web" is right smack-dab in front of my eyes, and another really nasty crack extends all the way across to the passenger side. So, I'm going to take the hit, and get it replaced.

Lisa@Dietrich recommended the folks at Northern Speedy Glass, at the Industrial Avenue location. Their on-the-phone quote was $275, including labor (the online quote was $307). I'll report back, once it's finished.

I'm not a "Good Ole Boy", and hate to watch NASCAR; however, those boys've got something really smart: tear-off, layered-plastic laminates, which protect the windshield. I wonder if there's anything comparable (and affordable) for "civilian" vehicles?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM

I saw an auto glass shop here in Anchorage that advertises crack resistant windshields. Also make sure those fan belts are in good shape and not all cracked up. I let mine go a little too long when we lived in Fairbanks and one super cold morning I went to start up the truck and all three of them snapped. Not a good way to start off a cold day.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
After you get your windshield changed, call these guys...

Clearplex® at Auto Trim Design of Fairbanks, Inc.

They put on a clear protector.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHoren View Post
I bought a 1988 Toyota 4Runner yesterday... good price, but the windshield's badly cracked, and needs to be replaced. Any first-hand recommendations for auto glass repair, here in Fairbanks?

ADDED: Any experiences (good/bad) with Speedy Glass on Forty Mile Avenue? How about Dietrich Auto Repair?
Windshield replacement: I have dealt with Badger Glass in the past, and found them to be the most reliable and professional. I don't know where their shop is at these days, however. For repairing the round chips on the glass, there are several shops in town. I just got one repaired yesterday at NOVUS on third Street (across Joan's), and they did a very nice job. You may want to wait till summer before you replace it, because by next winter the new windshield it will have a few chips all over again.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post

Thanks for the pointer! Their website and material are interesting and informative, and I'll certainly contact them about it.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 AM

6 posts, read 14,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post

Very cool, if, when I get up to Anchorage I will definitely head to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: