Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

I love that you're still on the vintage sneak train.

Me, too, but since my circa 2010 post, I've had a foot injury that turned to full-blown osteoarthritis in my midfoot, and now I have to wear custom orthotics. So now the trick is to find shoes that can accommodate a rigid orthotic insert. Many of the vintage sneakers are pretty low profile and this isn't so easily accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 09:49 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Adidas Superstars basketball shoes (big in the 70s) are popular now.

However, the profile of the wearer is dramatically different. Back when I was a kid in the late 70s, the vast majority wearing them were boys, and very husky ones. Now the people who wear them are teenage girls (most of them petite). Somehow I thought the larger profile of the shoe would look out of proportion on these girls but they seem to work well. The Adidas Stan Smith tennis shoes are a retro hit too - with the same demographic.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:00 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

However, the profile of the wearer is dramatically different. Back when I was a kid in the late 70s, the vast majority wearing them were boys, and very husky ones. Now the people who wear them are teenage girls (most of them petite). Somehow I thought the larger profile of the shoe would look out of proportion on these girls but they seem to work well. The Adidas Stan Smith tennis shoes are a retro hit too - with the same demographic.
I have seen teenaged girls wearing them, but I see men wearing them too. I have a pair.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I love that you're still on the vintage sneak train.

Me, too, but since my circa 2010 post, I've had a foot injury that turned to full-blown osteoarthritis in my midfoot, and now I have to wear custom orthotics. So now the trick is to find shoes that can accommodate a rigid orthotic insert. Many of the vintage sneakers are pretty low profile and this isn't so easily accomplished.
2010 was the start of my retro sneaker "obsession" and it continues. It all started when I saw a guy wearing a spanking new pair of blue Puma Suedes on the train. The first time I saw him, I let it go, but the second time, I decided I needed to saw speak to him. I told him that I really liked his sneakers, that I had worn them as a teenager and that I hadn't really seen anybody wear them in years. I asked him how he liked them and where he got them.

He said he really liked them and found them very comfortable, and that he had gotten them at a Puma store in NYC. He suggested I get myself a pair. When I was in Boston a short time later, I stumbled on a Puma store, went in and bought myself a pair. I got such a great feeling when I put them on; they made me feel like a teenager again. I have been wearing them ever since.

Sorry to hear about your foot problems. I hope you can find a way to continue to indulge your love of retro sneakers.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:03 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
How about Nike Cortez's? Adidas Tobacco?

Stuff from my childhood, and I've seen them make a comeback.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:16 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,818,460 times
I'm just happy to find shoes that even are my size in the color and style I like. In like four months I managed to go from having one pair of shouting boots, to about four or five pairs of shoes.

New style Air Force 1 hitops
Fila Vulc hitops matte black(the gloss blacks are work shoes)

K.Swiss Classic(I think) hitops
Vans hitops
Nike hitop boots

And they are all black! Except the AF1s, those are black and grey, and the Vans are the black and white , I wanted the all black ones, but they seemed lacking and didn't have the side strip, just the stitching where it would have been.

I want a second pair of each, so when they wear out and want to get
Original Air Force 1s (AF1 95s)
Original All Stars and the new style
Vulc boots
AF1 Boots
Miltary styled AF1s
All black pair of new style AF1s

Another pair of tactical boots, since it's the closest thing to goth boots I can get.
I wish the thigh high All Stars came in my size.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:52 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

I own a black pair of Adidas superstar, and I own a pair of Stan Smith's. It's time to replace my Stan Smith's with another pair of Stan Smith's. The girl in the movie, The Big Hurt had a pair of really cool looking red Stan Smith's with a unique pattern. I've been rocking Stan Smiths on and off since 1993. I noticed the price went up a lot in the last couple of years on the Stan Smith's. Two years ago, I bought a pair for 49.99. I had footlocker match that price at a cheaper store in the mall. Now, just two years later, I see them for 79.99.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 04-07-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 12:12 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,759 times
You know what? I still have my black and red Pumas! Haven't worn in them ages - they weren't the most comfortable on my feet - but I should dig them out!

Old 04-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I own a black pair of Adidas superstar, and I own a pair of Stan Smith's. It's time to replace my Stan Smith's with another pair of Stan Smith's. The girl in the movie, The Big Hurt had a pair of really cool looking red Stan Smith's with a unique pattern. I've been rocking Stan Smiths on and off since 1993. I noticed the price went up a lot in the last couple of years on the Stan Smith's. Two years ago, I bought a pair for 49.99. I had footlocker match that price at a cheaper store in the mall. Now, just two years later, I see them for 79.99.
Dude we really.have parallel taste in sneakers. I have a white lair of Adidas Superstars and I really like them. I don't have a pair of Stan Smith''s though. For running shoes, I.have Asics and they're my favorite for that purpose, but otherwise I'm a Puma and Adidas guy.

Did you ever hear the story about how Puma and Adidas were two companies that were started by feuding brothers?

Old 04-07-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
You know what? I still have my black and red Pumas! Haven't worn in them ages - they weren't the most comfortable on my feet - but I should dig them out!
Are they black suede with a red stripe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty