Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I would be cautious about applying "treatment" products to oily skin, and make sure it's not perpetuating the problem. Here's what I mean:

Sebum is naturally secreted by glands in the skin, to protect the skin from damage. This is what people refer to as "oil." It's not really oil, it's a waxy secretion. It comes up through the pores. If the pores are clogged, the oil builds up underneath, and erupts as a zit. If there's an infection beneath the surface, it erupts as an oozy acne zit.

If you attempt to -remove- the oil through harsh chemicals (such as salicylic acid, aka aspirin), then your oil glands will do something akin to freaking out. They'll say, "LET US MAKE MOAR!" and they'll produce MORE oil to make up for the loss. That's in addition to the usual, healthy amount they produce. So you end up with oily skin that is bad enough you need to "do" something about it, which causes your skin to become more oily, which requires you to do something about it again, and so on and so forth.

What you might try first, before going the medicated/treatment route (I mean even just cosmetic counter skin care for acne-prone people), would be to follow sound cleansing techniques.

1. Wash your HANDS. Putting dirty hands on your face when it's cleaning time is going to just make matters worse.
2. Use a gentle, UNscented, UNmedicated cleansing cream (you're gonna rinse this off - why would you want to pay for it to be medicated?) and slightly warm water (never use hot water if you're acne prone).
3. Do NOT use a skin scrub. Massage the cream onto your skin, then rinse it off thoroughly.
4. Rinse again, with cooler water. Then let the air dry your face.

Flip your pillow over every other night, and change your pillowcase every other night.

If you use hairspray or gel or other hair treatments applied after washing, use a cotton ball with warm water to wipe any residue from the hair treatments off your face.

USE moisturizer. Oily skin needs moisturizer too and if your skin is too dehydrated, it will produce more oil to compensate for the lack of water. You can use an oil-free moisturizer, but the most important things to avoid are synthetic oils and perfumes, and animal fats. So no petroleum/petrolatum/mineral oil, no lanolin, no emu oil. If the ingredients list the word "fragrance" then it means synthetic perfume. If they list "essential oil of..." "infusion of..." or "...hydrosol" then it's a natural plant-derived scent and should be fine (in some cases it's actually beneficial, as in lavender or patchouli).

If these things don't show an improvement within a couple of weeks, then you'd know you might benefit from some of the medicated products on the market. I'd totally go the "clean and moisturize" route first though.
^^^^ Yes, yes, yes to everything here. I thought my whole life I had oily skin until I was told during a facial that I actually have dry skin that I dry out further and make it appear more oily. I was using so many harsh treatments on my skin, that my skin was retaliating and creating more oil to combat the drying chemicals.

I also second the recommendation above to use mineral make-up. My brand of choice is Jane Iredale, which I order on eBay. It costs about $40 and lasts me about 4 - 5 months. It does not clog my pores and wears beautifully. It may be trial and error with finding the right color for you, but samples are offered online at reasonable rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM

292 posts, read 1,244,361 times
Quote:
I would be cautious about applying "treatment" products to oily skin, and make sure it's not perpetuating the problem. Here's what I mean:

Sebum is naturally secreted by glands in the skin, to protect the skin from damage. This is what people refer to as "oil." It's not really oil, it's a waxy secretion. It comes up through the pores. If the pores are clogged, the oil builds up underneath, and erupts as a zit. If there's an infection beneath the surface, it erupts as an oozy acne zit.

If you attempt to -remove- the oil through harsh chemicals (such as salicylic acid, aka aspirin), then your oil glands will do something akin to freaking out. They'll say, "LET US MAKE MOAR!" and they'll produce MORE oil to make up for the loss. That's in addition to the usual, healthy amount they produce. So you end up with oily skin that is bad enough you need to "do" something about it, which causes your skin to become more oily, which requires you to do something about it again, and so on and so forth....
This is very good information and suggestions, but it's not cut and dried as "you have oily skin because you use harsh cleansers." Some people have oily skin. I do. Everyone in my family does in varying degrees, and as long as it's treated well, it looks beautiful. If you have a problem with acne, go to a doctor. There is just more than the harshness of products that affects what your skin does. The turnover rate of skin, how well that skin is exfoliated, etc., all come into play. I've been prone to blackheads and acne since I was 10 years old and learned that my skin overturns quickly but cannot shed itself in time to prevent sebum from creating blackheads. At age 41, I have no wrinkles around my eyes and barely look 30, and if that's what I have to shoulder for having oily skin, then so be it.

Also, to the poster that was told about her skin during a facial: getting skin diagnoses from an esthetician is like getting financial help via email from a Nigerian prince. They are not trained to dispense anything other than cosmetic information; they are not medical professionals. If you had severe dandruff, would you go to a hairdresser? No, you'd see a dermatologist. Not trying to be harsh here, but keep in mind that there is a difference between a person trained to dispense cosmetic advice (and receives commission on product sales) and a trained medical professional.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCoriander View Post
Also, to the poster that was told about her skin during a facial: getting skin diagnoses from an esthetician is like getting financial help via email from a Nigerian prince. They are not trained to dispense anything other than cosmetic information; they are not medical professionals.
^^^ Agreed here except my facial followed a series of photo (laser) facials for the treatment of rosacea. They were peformed in the office of a dermatologist and I was under his care. He actually concured on my skin type. So I guess it would be more effective to say, "per my dermatologist..." vs. "per my esthetician."

Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,836 times
Quote:

If you attempt to -remove- the oil through harsh chemicals (such as salicylic acid, aka aspirin), then your oil glands will do something akin to freaking out. They'll say, "LET US MAKE MOAR!" and they'll produce MORE oil to make up for the loss. That's in addition to the usual, healthy amount they produce. So you end up with oily skin that is bad enough you need to "do" something about it, which causes your skin to become more oily, which requires you to do something about it again, and so on and so forth.

What you might try first, before going the medicated/treatment route (I mean even just cosmetic counter skin care for acne-prone people), would be to follow sound cleansing techniques.

1. Wash your HANDS. Putting dirty hands on your face when it's cleaning time is going to just make matters worse.
2. Use a gentle, UNscented, UNmedicated cleansing cream (you're gonna rinse this off - why would you want to pay for it to be medicated?) and slightly warm water (never use hot water if you're acne prone).
3. Do NOT use a skin scrub. Massage the cream onto your skin, then rinse it off thoroughly.
4. Rinse again, with cooler water. Then let the air dry your face.

Flip your pillow over every other night, and change your pillowcase every other night.

If you use hairspray or gel or other hair treatments applied after washing, use a cotton ball with warm water to wipe any residue from the hair treatments off your face.

USE moisturizer. Oily skin needs moisturizer too and if your skin is too dehydrated, it will produce more oil to compensate for the lack of water. You can use an oil-free moisturizer, but the most important things to avoid are synthetic oils and perfumes, and animal fats. So no petroleum/petrolatum/mineral oil, no lanolin, no emu oil. If the ingredients list the word "fragrance" then it means synthetic perfume. If they list "essential oil of..." "infusion of..." or "...hydrosol" then it's a natural plant-derived scent and should be fine (in some cases it's actually beneficial, as in lavender or patchouli).

If these things don't show an improvement within a couple of weeks, then you'd know you might benefit from some of the medicated products on the market. I'd totally go the "clean and moisturize" route first though.
Wow. That's awesome info, and I'm pretty much doing EVERYTHING you suggest not to do (harsh cleansers, over-cleaning, super hot water... the works).

Looks like I need to expand my plan to more than just makeup - makes sense.

Thanks!!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
My skin is also naturally oily, as is my mother's.

Not everyone reacts the same way to the same treatments, so it's hard to dispense advice, but I have a very simple regimen of Oil of Olay daily face wash for Oily/Combination skin and Neutrogena Skin Clearing foundation. I clean it all off at night with Costco pre-moistened towlettes, or Oil of Olay towlettes (Costco is cheaper ). If I need a toner I just use simple witch hazel, available at drug stores. The last thing that helps enormously is living in the Pacific Northwest and the lack of sunshine to damage my skin.

As others have stated, there are benefits to having oily skin too (e.g. fewer wrinkles). My dermatologist said to me, "You need to tell me what you're doing because your skin is beautiful. Don't change anything."

Old 03-01-2011, 03:06 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Revlon Colorstay over primer & set with a little loose translucent powder rolled across the face with a powder puff. I think the Laura Mercier method of applying foundation is ideal for all skin types.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
Oil of Olay towlettes
Oh my goodness, I love those!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty