Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a question.

For those of you that have blemishes, acne scars, and any dark spots on your face- what is the best foundation you have found to cover those concerns?

I'm fairly light skinned/blonde/in my early 30's and I have some acne scars and 1 dark spot on my face that I'm trying to cover. These concerns have been bothering me more lately. I was going to buy a Dermablend foundation but this lady there kind of advised me against it. She said Dermablend is the last resort and is more for Rosacea skin problems and things like that.

I have used Clinique for 15 or 16 yrs so I went back to Clinique and went with their two suggestions- Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector and Clinique Even Better Makeup Foundation. I'm unsure if I want to keep them- especially the Even Better Foundation. I'm wondering if there may be a better foundation out there to cover the same problems. Maybe Clinique just isn't enough for me anymore. I've heard people say in the past that Clinique's makeup ect..... is more for teens and still 20 somethings.

Have any of you used the Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector? Did you have any results?

Is Lancome or Estee Lauder maybe better for 30 somethings and up?

Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I recently started using Studio Gear concealer. I am fair, and dark circles and spots are very visible on me in the winter, when I am palest. I went to Ulta a couple weeks ago to get some eye shadow strategy, and the beautician put some under my eyes and as a bit of touch-up. It's a little dry (it isn't easily brushed out of the jar), which I don't remember in the store, but I dab a little moisturizer on the back of my hand and blend the two.

As I said in the concurrent thread about mineral makeup, I wear Bare Minerals for most of my makeup. In the summertime, when I'm more glowy from the humidity, I don't typically use concealer. A little extra powder in problem areas is enough. But I know how irritating it is to have red or dark marks on my face--my skin is not well-behaved. Also, I wear foundation primer (originally the stuff that came with my Bare Minerals makeup, but now some Studio Gear stuff I got free when I bought the eye shadows at Ulta), and that helps even my skin's texture. I have large pores on either side of my nose, and the primer spackles them up.

I'd love to hear some feedback on cosmetics or treatments that reduce scarring or dark marks.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
Yes I saw a difference after using the Dark Spot Corrector by Clinique. I really do like it. I need to get more. Don't return it go ahead and use it!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Max Factor Pan Stick...love the coverage. I've used it for 30 years, now I only use it as a concealer instead of all over foundation.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
I have tried a variety of foundations to cover up scars and blemishes:

Currently I am using Maybelline 24hour Superstay liquid foundation and CoverFX as a concealer. I set my foundation with Clinique's Doubleface Powder. Once I'm finished with it, I am going to get a mineral finishing powder. Clinique's formula has changed as has more pink undertones on me now (I have yellow undertones).

I bought their Clinical Dark Spot Corrector and did not have any luck with it.

Revlon Colorstay is a good drugstore liquid foundation with full coverage. It breaks me out so I had to quit using it but I really liked the coverage it gave.

I have tried PUR Minerals but it did not offer enough coverage and the more you try to build it, it begins to look cakey.

I've heard Estee Lauder's Double Wear, MAC Studio Fix Fluid and Makeup Forever have good foundations that offer full coverage.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
I have been using proactive and its lessening my dark spots. I probably use 1/4 of the concealer that I used to and usually can get away with only powder with light coverage. Before it would show through any makeup I tried. I do want to try the product they have for lightening those marks. Right now I am only using the full system, + purifying mask + green tea moisture (all proactive)

Im over 30 and had drier skin before I started using this line which made my scars look even worse. My skin looks naturally healthy now.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I've heard Estee Lauder's Double Wear, MAC Studio Fix Fluid and Makeup Forever have good foundations that offer full coverage.
Double Wear gets raving reviews. I was just about to try it, but was told it was for oily skin. Besides, I'm tired of liquid foundations and wanted to get a cream compact, so I just bought this one: Resilience Lift Extreme Ultra Firming Creme Compact Makeup SPF 15. EL didn't use to have cream compacts; I must've not paid attention this one came up in the last few years. I like it so far.

I'd never had a cosmetic-counter makeover before because I don't want the pressure and I don't necessarily rely on their opinions, but this time I let the girl mess with my face (they weren't busy) even though I told her I'd buy it online (there was a great deal going on). The color she came up with (caramel) after using her "sophisticated" tool was one I'd never even consider! The funny thing is after she blended for a long time with a brush it did look natural! I still had my doubts, though, because the color almost looks as if it's for African Americans, so I tried it with my finger. It was awful! I told her I'd never use the foundation the way she does (sponge it is!) and she agreed my choice (pale almond) was the way to go. I've no idea how much the quality of the sponge really matters, but in the reviews somebody was saying that this sponge is very similar to some very-high-quality sponge sold separately for $30. Can't say I've even paid attention to sponges sold separately...

Old 04-08-2011, 01:55 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,797 times
I highly recommend Jane Iredale mineral make up products for anyone with problematic skin. They can be costly, but worth it. I buy my compact refills on eBay for about $36 and they last 3-4 months. They do not cause break outs and cover nicely. I also like their blush.

I am a fair-skinned redhead and my color is Warm Silk foundation and Barely Rose blush.

jane iredale Mineral Makeup

Old 04-08-2011, 04:18 PM

296 posts, read 543,024 times
There are only two brands I trust so far...Tarte and Revlon.
Tarte's recreate foundation, Revlon colorstay foundation and colorstay mineral mousse. I have scars from acne as a teen and all three of these products conceal everything from the redness to the darker areas especially around my eyes. I don't have to wear concealer either. I don't know if you prefer foundations with lighter consistencies or if it even matters but all of these are kind of thick. They are also matte finish. Which means I only have to use a smidget of loose powder to set. Sometimes I won't have to use any.
Clinique breaks me out and I haven't tried the other brand.
Dermablend's coverage is phenomenal but it is very thick and very heavy. As the lady already told you it's ideal for those with major discoloration or tattoos that need to be covered. It also contains mineral oil which I avoid completely.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
I used MF post acne & also Revlon Colorstay. Revlon CS is probably your best bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Max Factor Pan Stick...love the coverage. I've used it for 30 years, now I only use it as a concealer instead of all over foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty