Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't have issues with sizing? The numbers may have changed over the years, I don't know, I'm only 23. But almost everywhere I go my hips are a size 2. Sure, there's the odd place that I wear a size 4 or a 0 (once I even found a dress in a 00, though breathing was a bit difficult), but how difficult is it to try on two different sizes?
The big thing is when it comes to buying vintage clothing. You have to know about vanity sizing when it comes to that. But sizes are so screwy, and so much clothing is made so cheaply, that if you try on a six, and decide to buy two others of the same shirt in different colors, you'd best try them on, too... because often a six isn't a six in the same company.

I just discovered that in bras.... it's the same damn bra and I ended up in two sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm a 5'8" 165 guy who recently needed to buy new clothes after losing some weight. I went to the GAP only to discover I'm now a size small, rather than the medium I'd expected would fit. I don't think I'm a small person but apparently the GAP thinks I am. Is this "downsizing" now commonplace? Is it supposed to make me want to shop there because I fit into a smaller size?
Have you checked your measurements and compared them to the sizing chart Gap maintains? Seems like common sense to me.

http://www.gap.com/customerService/i...2312#sizechart

My ex is about your size (actually 5' 9" and 170) and he was typically a sm/md at his favorite store, Banana Republic. Since Gap, BR, and ON are all connected, I would guess the sizing is consistent between the stores.

Congrats on losing the weight, by the way - I wouldn't worry about what the label says too much - I'd focus on how the clothes look and fit on me.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:36 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't have issues with sizing? The numbers may have changed over the years, I don't know, I'm only 23. But almost everywhere I go my hips are a size 2. Sure, there's the odd place that I wear a size 4 or a 0 (once I even found a dress in a 00, though breathing was a bit difficult), but how difficult is it to try on two different sizes?
I don't have the opportunity to shop in stores and for the most part, stores don't even carry my length so I find myself shopping online. Even when I base my size on their measurement guide, their guide is usually wrong. Heck, sizing is often inconsistent within brands. Look at premium denim...you can be a 26 in one pair of jeans and a 28 in another.

I've got a few more years on you, but to give you an idea of how things have changed, I used to wear a 10-12/XL in high school. I still have a number of pieces from back then (late 80s, early 90s) and now I wear a size 2/SM from some stores. Go figure.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't have the opportunity to shop in stores and for the most part, stores don't even carry my length so I find myself shopping online. Even when I base my size on their measurement guide, their guide is usually wrong. Heck, sizing is often inconsistent within brands. Look at premium denim...you can be a 26 in one pair of jeans and a 28 in another.
I bet the sleeves of anything (jackets, blouses, etc.) are never long enough for you either - it's a rare find when I can buy a coat off-the-rack at Macy's that passes the raise-my-arms-up-to-shoulder-level-outstretched. Which online stores are you shopping from?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Am I the only one here who really pays no attention to what size is on the lable of his/her clothes? Its really all about how I look (and feel) in the clothes and not at all about what letter or number is on the tag. Dont care if it says S, M, L, XL, 28, 30, 32 or what. Just care about how it looks on me.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I buy a lot of clothes on-line and I have found some companies whose size charts are dead-on accurate and others that are completely off. I love the dead-on accurate ones because the clothes always fit perfectly.

I do not understand why a company bothers to publish their measurement/size chart but then make clothing that does not match it.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
None of it makes any sense to me. Seems like they would want standard sizes to make it easier and sell more clothes. I know I would buy more if I knew size X would always fit.

My mom saved the suit she wore to her wedding in 1952. It was an 8. After she died and I was going through her things, I tried it on. No way would I ever, even at my thinnest, fit into that outfit. In today's sizing, I usually wear a 6 or an 8. Mom probably did wear some kind of a corset or girdle under that suit but I don't think there's any way a girdle would have helped me fit.

The opposite can be true too. Just this weekend I was looking at a local thrift store for some knock around, yardwork, painting jeans. I picked up a likely pair and they were a size 16!!!!! And they were too small. Yes, I know they probably were at the thrift store because they were mismarked. But it was depressing.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
None of it makes any sense to me. Seems like they would want standard sizes to make it easier and sell more clothes. I know I would buy more if I knew size X would always fit.
What I find is that stores whose clientele tend to be smaller have clothes that "run small" and stores whose clientele are larger have clothes that "run large".

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The opposite can be true too. Just this weekend I was looking at a local thrift store for some knock around, yardwork, painting jeans. I picked up a likely pair and they were a size 16!!!!! And they were too small. Yes, I know they probably were at the thrift store because they were mismarked. But it was depressing.
Those 16's were possibly misplaced, as well. They could have been a children's size 16. I find that at thrift stores, sometimes kid's L-XL+ items end up in the adult section and sometimes adult XS-S items end up in the kid's section..

Just this past week, I bought a cheapy polo from Wal-Mart to make a pattern off of (couldn't find a woman's polo pattern at the fabric store) and bought a White Stag "Small" without paying too much attention. When I got home, I was looking at it carefully, noticed how large it seemed, and playfully tossed it to my husband saying "I swear this might fit you!" Sad part was? At 5'10" and 200lbs, it was a perfect fit for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Am I the only one here who really pays no attention to what size is on the lable of his/her clothes? Its really all about how I look (and feel) in the clothes and not at all about what letter or number is on the tag. Dont care if it says S, M, L, XL, 28, 30, 32 or what. Just care about how it looks on me.
While I don't care what it says, it just makes things harder to purchase online. Then again, I frequently will buy something that fits right in the bust and then take in the waist. According to most clothing manufacturers, having a large bust must automatically mean having a large waist.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:36 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
I don't care what the number is on the label...so long as it fits and looks good.

My issue is I buy most of my tops in size small...and I am NOT a small person. I'm about 5'3.5" and 150lbs and I have a 34/36DD chest. I don't wear the clothing fitted/skin tight either.

I'm working on trying to lose about 15lbs...and I'm kind of wondering if I'll have to shop the children's dept. if I do lose that weight

Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I bet the sleeves of anything (jackets, blouses, etc.) are never long enough for you either - it's a rare find when I can buy a coat off-the-rack at Macy's that passes the raise-my-arms-up-to-shoulder-level-outstretched. Which online stores are you shopping from?
It's a lot of trial and error. Even a lot of the brands that carry tall or long tend not to be long enough, whether it's in the sleeve, pant inseam or where the waist sits.

I buy a lot of casual/everyday tees, henleys & thermals from Victoria's Secret. Their sleeves seem to run longer. And lately I've been buying from Forever 21 and their stuff is surprisingly long! I have some outerwear from Eddie Bauer because they offer tall, but I'm not overly impressed with their quality lately, except for their First Ascent line.

Otherwise I shop at Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Nordstrom, Zappos, ShopBop and Revolve Clothing. I just order a crapload of stuff in multiple sizes and try it on at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
How do you know what size to buy or try on if you don't pay attention to the size on the label? Clothing size is no different than wanting to know what size shoe you wear. It's incredibly frustrating when there's no consistency in the items. If I wear a size 12 shoe, wouldn't I naturally go to a store and look for or request that specific size shoe to try on?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty