Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times

Advertisements

This is sad news, and add to that, I'm glad that their stuffs are expensive so it makes me not want to buy it even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Yea, well, if they weren't making clothes in a third world sweat shop I am sure they would not be riding the rides at Disneyworld. Instead they would be starving. A starving child is a child who can't sew. Be thankful for the sweatshops.

So let us never push for better conditions and pay ? Nice attitude. We would still be sending kids up chimneys and we would still have slaves in the West if some people hadn't decided it was morally repugnant and done something about it. Keeping the Status Quo is just what keeps the rich becoming richer and the poor poorer. There would have been no progress in pay and work conditions in the West had not a huge social movement started and a public conscience about the facts that Humans are not beasts of burden and that even beasts of burden should have some decent conditions too.

The consumer has a lot of power. A little less profit is not going to kill the multinational corporations and would make a huge difference to the people who are being exploited because of us. Fair Trade is the way to go. Or at least Fairer trade where the exploitation is not quite as brazen. We have choices, we have influence and to not use it IMO is absolutely barbaric .

Old 12-21-2011, 06:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
There's a lot of hate in here for Victoria Secret. It's important to realize that a good chunk of clothing coming from third world countries are made using the same methods. It's not explicit to VS. If you really want to be safe, stick to brands that are made in countries that don't allow this kind of labor exploitation.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:19 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
So let us never push for better conditions and pay ? Nice attitude. We would still be sending kids up chimneys and we would still have slaves in the West if some people hadn't decided it was morally repugnant and done something about it. Keeping the Status Quo is just what keeps the rich becoming richer and the poor poorer. There would have been no progress in pay and work conditions in the West had not a huge social movement started and a public conscience about the facts that Humans are not beasts of burden and that even beasts of burden should have some decent conditions too.

The consumer has a lot of power. A little less profit is not going to kill the multinational corporations and would make a huge difference to the people who are being exploited because of us. Fair Trade is the way to go. Or at least Fairer trade where the exploitation is not quite as brazen. We have choices, we have influence and to not use it IMO is absolutely barbaric .
I suppose that you think that is a third world garment manufacturer has a 2% decrease in sales because of your boycott that freedom will blossom. News for you. All that will happen is that 1000 children who would otherwise be employed (albeit at $.10/hr) will starve to death. If that is what you want, boycott VS.

If what you want is a political solution in the form of a trade tariff against countries who do not pay wage earners enough in your opinion, I recommend that you learn a little world history, because we have tried protective tariffs and it doesn't work.

Bueller, Bueller?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:05 PM

181 posts, read 684,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I suppose that you think that is a third world garment manufacturer has a 2% decrease in sales because of your boycott that freedom will blossom. News for you. All that will happen is that 1000 children who would otherwise be employed (albeit at $.10/hr) will starve to death. If that is what you want, boycott VS.

If what you want is a political solution in the form of a trade tariff against countries who do not pay wage earners enough in your opinion, I recommend that you learn a little world history, because we have tried protective tariffs and it doesn't work.

Bueller, Bueller?

You are absolutely correct !!!!!!! Very true. Most people don't get this.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
I don't worry too much about where our clothing comes from. Why? Well, see, about 5 years ago, my dh and my jobs were sent overseas. We did manage to get decent enough jobs, after about 4 years of depleting our savings and much of our retirement funds.

Ok, look, I still have 2 children to raise, and look for every sale, discount, bargain I can. My kids need clothes, so do we! BTW, I haven't bought $25 underpants for years, usually, for me, its whatever I can find on sale. I mean, look, the clothing is already made, so, what would my not buying it help anyone? We have to take care of our own first!

I am truly sorry for the conditions portrayed in that video, but it brings my parents to mind. My father and his sisters lived on a farm, they were no strangers to such work. No one made a video about them!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i care zero about the conditions of the factory where my clothing is made.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:43 PM

245 posts, read 520,001 times
So they're the ones that make my bras?

hm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty