Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times

Advertisements

Soliciting opinions. If you are generally anti-plastic surgery, what you have to say carries a lot less weight in this discussion.

For about 5 years I've been trying to sock away money for a nose job. I am a black female living in New York City. My father is from the Commonwealth of Dominica and my mother is African-American. I don't like to think of myself as particularly vain, but I'd like to look the very best that I can. I want a higher nose bridge. I have no problem with the width of my nose, the size of my nostrils, or the shape of the bulbous lower portion of my nose. I simply want my nose bridge raised.

I've discussed this with people I've dated and people I've been close to (who are mostly white) and I get reactions ranging from shock ("Why would you do something like that?") to the worst reaction of all: "Do you want to look white?"

The answer as far as I can discern is no, I don't want to be white, and I have a great life. My twin sister has a higher nose bridge than I do (we are fraternal twins) and I want her nose bridge. I don't see how that's wanting to be European.

(Just as a note: the profile photo I have is not greatly descriptive of my lack of nose bridge since my face is at an angle)

Of course, there's always the argument that black people in Western culture have internalized Western standards of beauty, but that's a statement that stops the discussion dead in its tracks as it's impossible to abstract yourself from society. Entirely circular, not that the point doesn't have any merit.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Wow, you look perfect already.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Don't mess with your nose. I think its cute! If you do maybe go with a temp filler than being cut into. I would be paranoid about scars if I had darker skin. Darker skin can scar more heavily than white skin. But really..your nose is cute. Keep it!

Whatever you do..don't pull a michael jackson on yourself. Blek. A natural ethnic nose looks a million times better than that. I don't even think those nose trim jobs look good on most white people either. But I have seen bridge changed in others where its reduced to remove that roman bump. That really is the only type of nose job I think looks really good. Or when people get a bit of filler to smooth out the nasal line.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Soliciting opinions. If you are generally anti-plastic surgery, what you have to say carries a lot less weight in this discussion.

For about 5 years I've been trying to sock away money for a nose job. I am a black female living in New York City. My father is from the Commonwealth of Dominica and my mother is African-American. I don't like to think of myself as particularly vain, but I'd like to look the very best that I can. I want a higher nose bridge. I have no problem with the width of my nose, the size of my nostrils, or the shape of the bulbous lower portion of my nose. I simply want my nose bridge raised.

I've discussed this with people I've dated and people I've been close to (who are mostly white) and I get reactions ranging from shock ("Why would you do something like that?") to the worst reaction of all: "Do you want to look white?"

The answer as far as I can discern is no, I don't want to be white, and I have a great life. My twin sister has a higher nose bridge than I do (we are fraternal twins) and I want her nose bridge. I don't see how that's wanting to be European.

(Just as a note: the profile photo I have is not greatly descriptive of my lack of nose bridge since my face is at an angle)

Of course, there's always the argument that black people in Western culture have internalized Western standards of beauty, but that's a statement that stops the discussion dead in its tracks as it's impossible to abstract yourself from society. Entirely circular, not that the point doesn't have any merit.

Thoughts?
With regard to your profile pic, there isn't a man on the board that is going to even notice you have a nose.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
I'm not a huge fan of plastic surgery, but I think everyone in this country has the right to do what they want to do. If it makes you feel better, then do it. Just pick a good surgeon with a great track record so you don't get botched up.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Any thoughts on non-whites getting plastic surgery and Euro beauty ideals, 20years in Branson?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Don't mess with your nose. I think its cute! If you do maybe go with a temp filler than being cut into. I would be paranoid about scars if I had darker skin. Darker skin can scar more heavily than white skin. But really..your nose is cute. Keep it!
Thanks! Unfortunately I know nothing about temp filler. Gotta do my research. As far as I know, they perform rhinoplasty by going through the nostrils so there would be no external scars. I do have a problem with scarring in my family.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM

699 posts, read 2,219,664 times
i think that those people who have said you are trying to be 'white' are racist.
every race participates in plastic surgery.

it's your body. do with it as you wish.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
I think that belief stems from some kind of overcompensation for prejudices. Somebody feels guilty for believing that European standards are more beautiful, and so he or she says overly reassuring things ... or outright stupid things.

I've heard statements about black women who do things to their hair to make it smooth, blonde, or otherwise different than it is, but I don't think people make those same statements about white women who dye their hair different colors or style it in various ways. So I think that whole attitude is nonsense. If you're unhappy with your nose and want to change it, do it.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times
You don't have white-envy, but you do suffer from twin-sister-envy...might wanna figure out what's up with that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty