Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM

395 posts, read 707,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink tulip View Post
I have been in the United State for 3 years now, immigrated here from Kenya and it is very different here. I have noticed a very disturbing trend Why is white the epitome of beauty in the Americas? I have never witnessed other races of women shown as the epitome of beauty in America. Why is this? I believe this is effecting my dating life, the men who happen to date interracial are more likely to date European women then any other nationality. I hope this is not what America is all about?
Western society has been conditioned to view certain things as attractive and not attractive. It's a conditioning thing.

If you meet people who are well travelled and versed you may have better chances.

I personal think there are attractive people from all countries, but for many they have no exposure to this in their life.

good luck.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That means you're on your way just like the rest of us......unless you don't plan on getting old.

LOL, I have never been really good looking. But once I passed the 30 years mark it got downright scary to look in the mirror.

Oh well, looks fade....so what!

Old 07-06-2013, 12:59 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,816 times
America's weird and filled with a racist history. Tbh, what the media portrays and what's really the case is different, skewed and a lot of people know this.

I'd choose not to buy into it.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Iman, Rihanna, Halle Berry, Beyonce, any number of beautiful AA actresses/singers/models. Latinas like Sofia Vargara, Penelope Cruz. I believe we are moving towards multiracial preferences.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Iman, Rihanna, Halle Berry, Beyonce, any number of beautiful AA actresses/singers/models. Latinas like Sofia Vargara, Penelope Cruz. I believe we are moving towards multiracial preferences.

Most of them, whatever the race....are an illusion. Scrub all that stuff off their faces and they suddenly look very human or worse.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not exactly. A very limited range of "black" beauty is accepted as attractive. The ladies mentioned above are all very fair and more "white" looking, and aren't very representative of typical features.

A very limited look on this topic? The newish documentary called Dark Girls. Women who look like Viola Davis or Gabrielle Union are rarely featured compared to their lighter counterparts. And many of the popular AA actresses etc are biracial.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not exactly. A very limited range of "black" beauty is accepted as attractive. The ladies mentioned above are all very fair and more "white" looking, and aren't very representative of typical features.

A very limited look on this topic? The newish documentary called Dark Girls. Women who look like Viola Davis or Gabrielle Union are rarely featured compared to their lighter counterparts. And many of the popular AA actresses etc are biracial.
That is an American perspective and more specifically the issue is continually perpetuated by Black Americans upon ourselves.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
That is an American perspective and more specifically the issue is continually perpetuated by Black Americans upon ourselves.
Very true. It is ridiculous.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I lived in NYC for a time and noticed women from Africa did well dating all races of men. I would live in a very diverse American city. The US is big and cities and states vary quite a bit. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I lived in NYC for a time and noticed women from Africa did well dating all races of men. I would live in a very diverse American city. The US is big and cities and states vary quite a bit. Good luck!
Agree.

And women from Africa and the Caribbean generally have few issues with dating/marrying men of varying racial backgrounds in Europe, as well.

IMO, far too many Black American women have fully absorbed the negative narrative that 'we' are undesirable as determined by (some) American males unless we possess features that are less identifiable as sub-Saharan African. This is basically a tragic and persistent remnant of slavery in the United States. Light skin in Black Americans represented a closer connection the 'power source' (White men) and access to the privileges (lighter work load, education, monetary support, better food, better housing, better clothing, etc.) that the close ties often afforded the progeny of the 'power source'. So even in 2013, for many Black American men light skin/white skin (or non-Black altogether) represents access to privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty