Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 5,679 times

Advertisements

I have been in the United State for 3 years now, immigrated here from Kenya and it is very different here. I have noticed a very disturbing trend Why is white the epitome of beauty in the Americas? I have never witnessed other races of women shown as the epitome of beauty in America. Why is this? I believe this is effecting my dating life, the men who happen to date interracial are more likely to date European women then any other nationality. I hope this is not what America is all about?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 PM

295 posts, read 554,894 times
IDK i dont see that at all . we have a very large market in the states for Black women. If you ask me its the Asian women who are not equal when it come to beauty care in the US a much as white and blacks.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Lived here all my life & I don't know where some people are living -- but white is clearly the standard of beauty here in the U.S. Now, second are Latina women, Asian women, & biracial women -- but Black ain't no where on that list! Black women have the lowest responses on dating sites compared to other women, darker faces are rarely seen on the covers of beauty magazines (Glamour, Vanity Fair, Maxim, Stuff, etc), once in a blue moon, there was an article written about this a few years ago. You will rarely see darker women (hell not even black, darker Indian women) with leading roles on popular TV shows...Usually there's always an excuse given as to why black women/dark Indian women are unacceptable. The closer you are to white the more attractive people consider you here, especially men.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,703 times
What is the standard for beauty in countries in Africa? I am sure it's not white. What about Asia? For sure rather Asian than white.

You know every person has his/her own standard of beauty. And if the majority of the population is white this standard is... white.

Same thing in Europe by the way. Maybe differences between Italy and Sweden of course but basically the same.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM

295 posts, read 554,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Lived here all my life & I don't know where some people are living -- but white is clearly the standard of beauty here in the U.S. Now, second are Latina women, Asian women, & biracial women -- but Black ain't no where on that list! Black women have the lowest responses on dating sites compared to other women, darker faces are rarely seen on the covers of beauty magazines (Glamour, Vanity Fair, Maxim, Stuff, etc), once in a blue moon, there was an article written about this a few years ago. You will rarely see darker women (hell not even black, darker Indian women) with leading roles on popular TV shows...Usually there's always an excuse given as to why black women/dark Indian women are unacceptable. The closer you are to white the more attractive people consider you here, especially men.

so very good points but i think asian women seldom get editorial for fashion or beauty mags. Black women get more then they do .

Old 02-13-2012, 03:56 PM

253 posts, read 558,157 times
I myself don;t believe this but people equate being white to being superior. It's not just Americans it's the way many other countries think and for many other reasons. In India fair skin is a thing of beauty and represents wealth and status if you are dark you are considered poor, only the poor do outside manual labour that requires them to be out in the sun all day. America has always held a questionable stance when it comes to people of other races, from the very beginning up until now racial stereotypes are alive and well and only idiots fall into the trap of believing a whole race fits into one stereotype. Just think if a guy is not dating you because of your race, you are better off, you found out he was a moron before getting involved.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
so very good points but i think asian women seldom get editorial for fashion or beauty mags. Black women get more then they do .

Really? Because I don't remember ever seeing black woman/Indian woman on the cover of Maxim or Stuff or Playboy....those magazines aren't rocket science but they are men's magazines, geared towards what men find attractive. There was a huge article and controversy written on the subject of the lack of darker skinned women on magazines, you can look it up if you want. Also, I want to point out if they do put a black woman on the cover 9 times out of 10 it's someone that looks more like Halle Berry, Rihanna, Zoe Saldana than it is someone that looks like Tika Sumpter or Alek Wek. Guaranteed. Really popular shows like the old 90210, Friends, Buffy, etc. there is very little diversity on those shows. I'm not bashing asian women, white women or latina women at all, but I call it like I see it. A lot of times people (not you in particular) don't want to admit certain things because they aren't the nicest things or best things to admit -- that doesn't make them any less true. I am linking to an article about racial diversity on the covers of magazines, this is a positive one, but it still recognizes that it's a rare thing. Coming from a journalism background, I know this is a rarity as well.

Women's magazines break the mould with black and Asian cover stars | Life and style | The Guardian

Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM

253 posts, read 558,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
I think that's really only because black people hold a larger percent of the population than Asian women, things might be different if it were the other way around.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink tulip View Post
I have been in the United State for 3 years now, immigrated here from Kenya and it is very different here. I have noticed a very disturbing trend Why is white the epitome of beauty in the Americas? I have never witnessed other races of women shown as the epitome of beauty in America. Why is this? I believe this is effecting my dating life, the men who happen to date interracial are more likely to date European women then any other nationality. I hope this is not what America is all about?
I also find it maybe a little disturbing that White is also the epitome of beauty in many Asian countries as well.. or up there with Asian..

Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM

84 posts, read 57,448 times
This is so very true, but you know what they say, if you can't beat them, join them. I think many of us darker black women are sometimes overlooked, especially by men of our own race. But I don't think there is any reason to get alarmed. Just go out and find the whitest blue eyed guy.. to marry and mate with him.. Your children will have all of the advantages. Problem solved.

Last edited by Michelle234; 02-13-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty