Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,963 times

Advertisements

It was around 1999 IMO when styles began to change. The first thing I noticed was camisoles. At the time I thought camisoles were underwear (for under a sheer blouse). I couldn't understand why in the world they were selling these as shirts. I thought they were a fad. Boy, was I wrong. Also, at that time, clothing was becoming more fitted and pant rises had become lower. I had lost some weight and was shopping for a new wardrobe so I noticed.

IMO we haven't really had any major style changes since then. We actually have a lot of choices when it comes to pants, dresses and skirts (for women). Jeans can be purchased in skinny, straight, boot or flare according to what flatters your body. I don't recall having such choices before. You just bought whatever was in style before whether or not it looked horrendous on you. In the 80's everyone wore high rise jeans with tapered legs. IIRC, there were no other styles for sale. I am thrilled with the choices we have today.

My SIL, who is not into fashion, has one dress that she wears whenever she needs to dress up. It is a tea length, polyester fabric print dress. I know exactly when she bought it (mid-90's) because I had similar dresses at the time. Wearing it in 2012, though, she looks dated and dumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:17 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I definitely agree with the OP. I have paid attention to fashion styles since I became self aware of it. The contemporary style of today started in 2000. I'm pretty sure of it. Just look at Boy Meet's World - the college episodes. Most of what their wearing could definitely be worn today and not be seen as weirdos. Just very laid back and bland according to today's standards. Topanga epecially. The outfits she wore and her hairstyle were timeless.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
I think 1994 was still being influenced by the late 1980s; by 2000 most of the 80s influence was gone. I haven't studied it enough to know when the switch over really came.
I agree. I had bangs and "big" hair until 1994.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
I know what the OP means. When I look at pics of myself from the very early 90s or late 80s, you can tell that they were taken within a very specific time frame. However, when I look at pics of myself from '98 to '04, or so, the outfits I'm wearing in those pics look like outfits I'd wear today.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Are things ever going to change again?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
I'd peg it around 1998 when the 80s and 90s fashions started dying. Wearing baggy flannel and overalls for girls became kind of passe and girls started wearing low cut jeans. I remember when I first saw people wearing it in ads I thought it was bizarre and looked 70s but became used to it. Watch sitcoms that spanned most of the 90s like Friends or Step By Step and see how much fashion changed in that short time. In the first half of the 90s, mullets were still pretty fashionable among teens and all the acid washed denim and the brightly colored 80s patterns. Look at the later Step by Step episodes and they could be filmed today based on their fashions. Gelled short spikes is still as popular as ever with men and a lot of girls still wear the "Rachel".

Men's formal wear has changed a lot, the Mad Men style is kind of making the more modern looks look out of date since it's recently caught on like wildfire.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I definitely agree with the OP. I have paid attention to fashion styles since I became self aware of it. The contemporary style of today started in 2000. I'm pretty sure of it. Just look at Boy Meet's World - the college episodes. Most of what their wearing could definitely be worn today and not be seen as weirdos. Just very laid back and bland according to today's standards. Topanga epecially. The outfits she wore and her hairstyle were timeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Look at the later Step by Step episodes and they could be filmed today based on their fashions. Gelled short spikes is still as popular as ever with men and a lot of girls still wear the "Rachel".

Men's formal wear has changed a lot, the Mad Men style is kind of making the more modern looks look out of date since it's recently caught on like wildfire.
I find that fashion still updates over time.

Basic clothes (i.e. t-shirts, polos, might carry over) but the patterns used and the way of wearing such styles still can show something is dated. Denim is darker and less casual than the late ninties; Boys haircuts are shorter/trimmed; belts aren't used unless their detailed (extra wide or embellished); wide-rim glasses change; even the "Rachel"/layered look doesn't resemble the '90s: hair today is generally flatter with less volume.

I might not seem "out of date" to us because not everyone keeps up with fashion, and the changes aren't as extreme as 20+ years ago; but make the comparisons from 12-14 years ago, and you'll still see differences.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I've seen many women with that hairstyle but never gave it a second thought until now. Just goes to show that it's very difficult to judge, or "notice", the time we presently live in. If that makes any sense.
There's so many different kinds of this hairstyle, but straight hair has never been my thing. I still have my late 70's feathery, bouncy red hair. Will not cut it. Will not flat-iron it.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
would be interesting to see what the average "style" would be if all fashions were still made and available at every clothing store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty