Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I don't have any, but I do think they are super cool - on both guys and gals. I love that look - just don't see it much in my area. Maybe I should get a pair...
I'm honestly surprised you wouldn't see any in Chicago. Even though it's an urban center, it's still a Midwestern city and used to be the biggest cattle market in the entire United States. I remember when I was growing up, my dad's hired man would drive loads upon loads of livestock to sell in Chicago on the markets. Dad wanted to take us kids along to show how it all happened and what a livestock market was like so we hopped in his Cadillac and followed his hired guy right to the gates of the stockyards. Everyone wore cowboy boots back in those days.

Sad to see all of that has changed from my fond memories of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM

374 posts, read 812,769 times
I've got about 8 pair; some are pretty wore out. I have some black gator skin ones too, for formal wear. I wear my favorite brown leather ones almost every day; they're nice and broke in. I always liked the traditional pointed toe, but I have one pair of square toe. Nothing beats the classic brown look, though.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'm honestly surprised you wouldn't see any in Chicago. Even though it's an urban center, it's still a Midwestern city and used to be the biggest cattle market in the entire United States. I remember when I was growing up, my dad's hired man would drive loads upon loads of livestock to sell in Chicago on the markets. Dad wanted to take us kids along to show how it all happened and what a livestock market was like so we hopped in his Cadillac and followed his hired guy right to the gates of the stockyards. Everyone wore cowboy boots back in those days.

Sad to see all of that has changed from my fond memories of Chicago.
I have never seen a cattle drive in Chicago! But maybe I just wasn't in the right place at the right time. I have seen a few cool cowboy boots here though.

I never really got into the cowboy boot thing until I spent a few weeks in Wyoming last year and started developing a love for them. I am definitely a newbie in this area. I'd have no idea where to buy / how to best evaluate different boots.

I do love the ones with the embroidered flowers though, like MIR86 mentioned. I guess I'm a cowboy boot wannabe - not sure if I can plausibly carry it off though. I don't have an ounce of country in me... LOL.. I do find it a particularly attractive look on a guy too.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM

639 posts, read 828,470 times
Quote:
It really depends where you go in Phoenix- most of the suburbs you're more likely to see Doc Martens than cowboy boots. Traditionally, there are quite a few old-school hangouts (san tan flats) or long-time Phoenix steakhouses like Durant's where cowboy boots are more commonly seen.

I've attended various events throughout the years where there seems to be a good percentage of people wearing cowboy boots. I attended one of the campaign dinners for John McCain a while back and many of the attendees were wearing suits with matching cowboy boots.

All depends where you go. I've actually noticed a few of my colleagues wear dress boots to meetings with the higher-ups. Nothing beats a nice, black dress boot with a well-cut suit.
haha true, or Yucca Tap Room in Tempe to see cowboy boots/Doc Marten's 50/50 lol

Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I have never seen a cattle drive in Chicago! But maybe I just wasn't in the right place at the right time. I have seen a few cool cowboy boots here though.

I never really got into the cowboy boot thing until I spent a few weeks in Wyoming last year and started developing a love for them. I am definitely a newbie in this area. I'd have no idea where to buy / how to best evaluate different boots.

I do love the ones with the embroidered flowers though, like MIR86 mentioned. I guess I'm a cowboy boot wannabe - not sure if I can plausibly carry it off though. I don't have an ounce of country in me... LOL.. I do find it a particularly attractive look on a guy too.
haha ya I'm not very country myself but I love country music and 2 stepping and line dancing can be fun too. The rodeo is a big deal down here in AZ. I have yet to go to one and we were gonna go this year but we were all too broke, ha! next year, for sure. Either way, that's why I liked those boots with the rose on it cause its pretty without being too wannabe ish because i'm not what I would call "country". I have a lot of dresses it would have worked really well with. Maybe I'll find something similar eventually!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:29 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
haha ya I'm not very country myself but I love country music and 2 stepping and line dancing can be fun too. The rodeo is a big deal down here in AZ. I have yet to go to one and we were gonna go this year but we were all too broke, ha! next year, for sure. Either way, that's why I liked those boots with the rose on it cause its pretty without being too wannabe ish because i'm not what I would call "country". I have a lot of dresses it would have worked really well with. Maybe I'll find something similar eventually!
That is exactly what I like - boots with embroidered roses/flowers to wear with dresses - such a cute look. At least you like country music and line dancing - I can't even say that! And I have only been to one rodeo (it was a big one in Wyoming). As I said, I may not be able to carry off this look (too wannabe - like a guy who can't ride a motorcycle wearing a Harley leather jacket).

Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I got a thrift store pair of nearly new Tony Lama boots for a cowgirl costume for Halloween. I haven't worn them for anything else, though. Cowboy boots are worn often enough where I am (Kansas City), but it's not really my overall look. Works for others, though! I tend to avoid pointed toes in all styles of footwear, for myself, so no needle nosers for me. More rounded or squared, I could handle.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
I LOVE the western look (jeans/plaid shirt), and I think my boots are essential for this type of outfit. I used to think that boots would be uncomfortable, but mine are so comfortable it feels like I'm walking on clouds.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
A couple pairs here. I see them a lot in Arizona. Nothing formal though, and no exotics.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Another one of my favorite accessories is a good pair of Cowboy boots. I currently have a half-dozen pairs ranging from everyday wear to formal wear. I don't generally care for "exotic" cowboy boot materials but I DO have one pair of Alligator boots that I bought on a whim a few years ago. I really love my black leather Cowboy boots that were designed to be worn in a formal setting.
"Cowboy boots" and "formal wear" is such an oxymoron to me. But Im "city folk" so my idea of formal wear for women is gowns, traditional little black dress, heels, etc. You know, what most of the world thinks of when they think "Formal Wear".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty