Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
The post wasn't directed at me, but I'd say a woman dressed like this isn't doing it just because 'she likes the clothes'. Only reason she would like the clothes is because they would get her the male attention she's looking for. You can debate it all you want, but as a woman myself I refuse to believe a woman dressing in a provocative outfit does it just because she likes the clothes and does not expect men looking. No one is that naive.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7100/7...fe83545345.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7...79b3758835.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7090/7...32c30397cb.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8156/7...725a9d6147.jpg (girl on left)

obviously these are just some extreme examples, not many women go around dressed like that, but just to show the point...
And I definitely wouldn't be surprised if a woman in any of those outfits got more than a few double takes. But then, those are costumes/clubwear and probably aren't worn for a day of running errands.

I think it isn't an unreasonable guess that an outfit like that is worn more for peacocking than fashion, but I still wouldn't fault any of those women for calling out a random dude staring at her. She may expect to get negative attention but that doesn't mean she should have to shut up and deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
UnexpectedError, I think you're "stuck" on seeking photos of examples. Maybe someone else will comply with your request.
I think you realized that you have no way to justify your woman-hating posts so you're trying to ignore all requests to back up your claims, hoping no one will notice .

Move along, lil doggie.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood this. For example....This morning I'm riding the subway on my way to work, and this woman wearing a REALLY short skirt sits right next to me and across from a middle aged man. The man took notice of her revealing outfit but wasnt over the top with the staring. She gave him a dirty look and said "can I help you with something???" then proceeding to talk under her breath about how men are so disrespectful and nasty! In my mind I'm saying to myself..."If you have a problem with men admiring your skimpy outfit and revealing body, how about you just NOT wear that, and if you just like dressing that way, then dont complain if men look.

How about the women who wear low cut jeans and pull their shirts down every 7 seconds as they are walking while looking back to see who's behind them staring at the crack of their a**. First of all, If I have to adjust my attire every 15 steps, I shouldnt be wearing it. Secondly, if i purposely buy low cut jeans, then I shouldnt be worrying about who can see a part of my body that I'm purposely trying to reveal! I've even seen one woman complain that a man was staring at her feet. WTF???? . Lady, if you have a problem with a man staring at your feet, then you shouldnt be wearing shoes/sandals/flip flops that expose them. What's up with these women???
This has to be one of life's great myteries/conundrums. As most men in the world, I have come across this scenario over and over again throughout my life. You see these women wearing three inches of clothing then complaining about men leering at them.

If you're wearing close to nothing or showing an excess amount of cleavage (either of which I personally thank you for), please, don't complain about stares and leers. You're obviously dressing that way for the intention of attracting attention. You asked for it. You got it!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
What exactly do they wear revealing clothes for then? IMO they want people to look but at the same time they don't want to seem like attention seekers so they try to play it down.

You know that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Do they really think that one day men will no longer look at them in revealing clothes? (There is an answer to that and its when they hit 55 or so)
They only want certain people to look, not all of them. If you are not what they consider attractive, you are an old, disgusting pervert. If you are something attractive, well then, leer away!

I'm female and that is how I see it.

I agree. If you don't want someone gawking at you, don't wear revealing clothing. This whole b.s. of, "I did this for myself" is just that, B!S! No, you did NOT.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 AM

78,401 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I agree with the OP; women should know that certain outfits will elicit a certain response from men. Either deal with it, or wear something else if you're going to get offended.
I've known a few gals that love to wear such outfits for the attention....and then love to call it out when they get such attention so they get.....more attention.

In some ways it's like bragging to her gf's that she's getting all these looks from guys and of course she has to play it like it's not intentional and she is of course offended by all this unwanted attention. LMAO......riiiiiiiiight.

Not saying there aren't creepy leering guys but there are also attention Ho's....

Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
American society does have nudist camps, and people are free to visit these and belong to them. Many have memberships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Unfortunately, in many ways, it's society hasn't totally progressed beyond the fetishistic association of nudity with sex of the Victorian era. Flesh, especially the bare apparition of certain body parts, still elicits a sexual response among men. I doubt this is as pronounced among so primitive tribes-people who are naked or near-naked most of the time. I read an article by a feminist author about how the breast fetish is largely a 'learned' response (not to say that breasts do not have any sexual function whatsoever, of course) in that we are conditioned from a young age to see breasts as rude and private. The same goes for the buttocks or, in the Victorian era even shoulders or ankles.

Anyway, in this society, women have the freedom to wear what they want but there's no law against men ogling. I guess the old adage 'look but don't touch' holds true here. Sure, some women actually do it for attention, and then pretend to get offended when they get the attention they secretly feed on, but you're right, I'm sure many just feel it's comfortable/want to freedom to wear what they want without feeling vulnerable.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
This has to be one of life's great myteries/conundrums. As most men in the world, I have come across this scenario over and over again throughout my life. You see these women wearing three inches of clothing then complaining about men leering at them.

If you're wearing close to nothing or showing an excess amount of cleavage (either of which I personally thank you for), please, don't complain about stares and leers. You're obviously dressing that way for the intention of attracting attention. You asked for it. You got it!
If you are staring like a rapist wanna be and showing and excess amount of attention (which I don't thank you for) please don't complain about the curses and rude gestures. You obviously are leering that way for the intention of getting a good look for disgusting reasons. You reap what you sow. You asked for it. You got it!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They only want certain people to look, not all of them. If you are not what they consider attractive, you are an old, disgusting pervert. If you are something attractive, well then, leer away!
You hit the nail right there. This reminds me of an SNL skit about sexual harrassment.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
So, if someone stares too much, they're a rapist. Okay...

Does that mean if the person shows too much skin, she's a prostitute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
If you are staring like a rapist wanna be and showing and excess amount of attention (which I don't thank you for) please don't complain about the curses and rude gestures. You obviously are leering that way for the intention of getting a good look for disgusting reasons. You reap what you sow. You asked for it. You got it!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I do think many women nowadays are at best naive if they genuinely do not expect some leering if they go out dressed like street walkers. I refuse to believe ANY woman who dresses provocatively does it without knowing the effect she might have on some men .

Some people just crave attention in any form and for women this is a perfect way to attract it. I also think too many women judge their own worth by the level of staring, leering and commenting they can get from guys.

HOWEVER no matter how slutty or tarty a woman dresses she should not feel threatened and there is a certain level at which a line is over-stepped by guys. Ogling is one thing, making unwanted advances is however not acceptable. A woman should be able to walk down the street naked without being subjected to sexual harassment.

I don't understand women who cheapen themselves by behaving like hookers but everyone has the right to be safe.

I don't think nudity is the issue as I personally believe that Naturism for example is not a sexually motivated lifestyle and perfectly natural. Clothes however have far more of a sexualised connotation, and women often exploit their ability to attract blokes and render them into little jellified poodle puddles simply by parading themselves as sex objects.

Women have always been objectified but now we are often as a sex offering it on a plate for the guys and then some women complain that men look which is intellectually disingenuous. Our entire society is highly sexualised from an early age and I am actually amazed that the novelty never seems to wear off !

I suppose "look don't touch" should be the policy with tarty women. And look without actually looking as though you will start touching as well.... It is all about being non threatening. Some men need to learn a little self control and behave perhaps better than some women do. Being the "bigger man" so to speak.

Britain has an entire generation of young women who actually do look like Hookers and it was quite a culture shock for me when I moved here. My Family who came to visit is still convinceed that my quaint little market town is full of street walkers and brother workers... Nothing I said could convince them otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty