Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,910 times

Advertisements

Muffin tops and ass cracks are real trendy right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Muffin tops and ass cracks are real trendy right now.
Really? I didn't know it was still 2003.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Besides the bare midriff tops and super baggy jeans, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the 90's and 2010's in terms of fashion, certainly when you compare it to the decades previous to the 90's.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Besides the bare midriff tops and super baggy jeans, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the 90's and 2010's in terms of fashion, certainly when you compare it to the decades previous to the 90's.
Oh, just wait. Perspective will define the differences. Fashion is fluid, so there will always be holdover trends as the new ones take hold, but as we get farther away from it 1995 and 2005 will look like the difference in decade, century, and millennium that they are.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Oh, just wait. Perspective will define the differences. Fashion is fluid, so there will always be holdover trends as the new ones take hold, but as we get farther away from it 1995 and 2005 will look like the difference in decade, century, and millennium that they are.

I agree^. I also think that there are alot of differences between the nineties and today. Today's fashion seems more in line with the early eighties. Funky colored hightops, converse, tighter pants (although not quite as tight as todays), lots of colors. The color scheme probably ran a bit into the nineties but was more prevelant in the eighties imo. The nineties went away from the "prep" look from the late eighties to the "I don't give a crap look" which evolved into it's own look. Music had a big influence on the nineties style, mostly grunge. If you ever really want to know what people wore and looked like in the nineties rent the movies, "Reality bites, "Singles" and watch some early Roseanne shows where Becky's boyfriend mark was on as well as "my so called life". Those movies and tv shows depict the nineties well. I myself wore slightly baggy faded levis with a slightly faded all black t-shirt with all black Carolina boots. Obviously I had my share of flannels, flannels without sleaves, tons of other colored shirts, accessories, etc but that look reminds me of myself the most. Plus, I wore a choker for a brief period. Just being honest. Then I got a silver necklace that fell to about my chest with a small decal on the bottom. I had long hair too. Basically look at Brad Pitt's hair style right now and that was the main style. I think he's going through some mid life crisis.

Some good music videos that really resemble the nineties are any Aerosmith videos like Crazy, Cryin, Amazing and a few Bon Jovi ones. I think the Bon Jovi one was "Always". It had felicity or the girl who played felicity (minds drawing blank) and some fine Puerto rican girl in it. One guy wore faded levis with a tank top and a carhart. The other guy wears faded levis with a black turtleneck. Both guys have long bangs. The reason I know their look so well is because I just saw the video on youtube about three days ago. The long bang look was definately the look. You could wear it out, or put it in a pony tail. Oh, and most of the girls did have the "Rachel" hair cut. I even dated a few who had it. I think it had to be the most trendiest hair cut that I have ever seen.

That about sums up the nineites for me.

In my opinion, the nineties were nothing like today's clothes. But I see a trend heading back there. Personally I'd rather have the nineties styles back than the stuff people wear today. But that's just me and probably a bit nostalgia.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 11-09-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I agree^. I also think that there are alot of differences between the nineties and today. Today's fashion seems more in line with the early eighties. Funky colored hightops, converse, tighter pants (although not quite as tight as todays), lots of colors. The color scheme probably ran a bit into the nineties but was more prevelant in the eighties imo. The nineties went away from the "prep" look from the late eighties to the "I don't give a crap look" which evolved into it's own look. Music had a big influence on the nineties style, mostly grunge. If you ever really want to know what people wore and looked like in the nineties rent the movies, "Reality bites, "Singles" and watch some early Roseanne shows where Becky's boyfriend mark was on as well as "my so called life". Those movies and tv shows depict the nineties well. I myself wore slightly baggy faded levis with a slightly faded all black t-shirt with all black Carolina boots. Obviously I had my share of flannels, flannels without sleaves, tons of other colored shirts, accessories, etc but that look reminds me of myself the most. Plus, I wore a choker for a brief period. Just being honest. Then I got a silver necklace that fell to about my chest with a small decal on the bottom. I had long hair too. Basically look at Brad Pitt's hair style right now and that was the main style. I think he's going through some mid life crisis.

Some good music videos that really resemble the nineties are any Aerosmith videos like Crazy, Cryin, Amazing and a few Bon Jovi ones. I think the Bon Jovi one was "Always". It had felicity or the girl who played felicity (minds drawing blank) and some fine Puerto rican girl in it. One guy wore faded levis with a tank top and a carhart. The other guy wears faded levis with a black turtleneck. Both guys have long bangs. The reason I know their look so well is because I just saw the video on youtube about three days ago. The long bang look was definately the look. You could wear it out, or put it in a pony tail. Oh, and most of the girls did have the "Rachel" hair cut. I even dated a few who had it. I think it had to be the most trendiest hair cut that I have ever seen.

That about sums up the nineites for me.

In my opinion, the nineties were nothing like today's clothes. But I see a trend heading back there. Personally I'd rather have the nineties styles back than the stuff people wear today. But that's just me and probably a bit nostalgia.

I was too late to edit. The name of the "Felicity" star was Kerri Russell. I had a brain fart. Also I would like to add that men seemed more manlier back then. None of this metrosexual crap and shirts with more colors than the rainbow. We kept it simple back then. Besides flannels, lots of bold colors. Which for someone like me is good. I love black. A black tea, turtleneck, sweater-just give me black..lol. anyways that's just my opinion. We made cool outfits out of nothing. Bought lots of cool clothes from thrift stores. Nobody would have bought 300 dollar jeans then, nor should they. Like I've stated before, I've bought expensive jeans but at places like Plato's closet. This decade looks like a bunch of rainbow kids. colors that look tacky and tight jeans with gawdy sneakers. That's tacky. Look at the Aerosmith videos Crazy and cryin and tell me those girls (especially in Crazy) wouldn't look hot even today.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
This video will show you the clear difference between 90's fashion and today's. One of the teens said in the video said "Look how old the fashion looks".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0mg9DxvfZE

Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I remember baby t's and spaghetti strap dresses. We wore doc martins with fishnets that we cut holes into. Also our jeans had lots of slashes and holes. The butt cheek baring hole was very popular, but I never was brave enough to wear it. Chokers were hot too.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
I still see guys with baggy pants with their behinds sticking out or some still wear over sized shirts with puffy sneakers and big brim baseball caps.

One thing I don't see anymore is high waisted jeans or super low rise jeans.
I see super low rise jeans and high wasted jeans have made a HUGE comeback within the past 2 years. I see it quite a bit, especially on the trendy early 20s crowd.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:35 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I think we wore crop tops combined with high waisted Bongo jeans. I also had a pair of granny boots that I thought was so cool. Cringe.

http://www.wildcowboy.com/images/128...103078528.jpeg

Watch some friends episodes and you will see a whole lotta nineties fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty