Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
This phenomenon has many very plain looking, and even ugly men and women thinking they are attractive. Most are just average. I don't get the excitement about blond hair and blue eyes.
It is not the standard but it is the most desirable.

But Hitler wanted to make blond hair and blue eyes, one of the standards
of his superior race that he was trying to develope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I think that people were attracted to those features maybe in the "older" days, but not anymore. My sons seem to be more attracted to women with dark hair and brown eyes!
Dark hair and dark eyes? That would be 95% of the planet. On the surface I would say "Boring" since a natural blonde woman with blue or green eyes is unique. In reality you have the Kim Ks, Jessica Albas and many other dark featured women who fit the Standard of beauty today. Then you have the Beyonce and other dark women who go blonde for a while and it looks great.

Face it there are different shapes and color combinations that are complimentary, some of them dark or some of them light or a mixture of them. I can find many very dark skinned women with black hair as attractive as a blue eyed blonde Norweigen woman or a red haired green eyed Irish girl! All of the above can look great, maybe Im just not picky?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
It is not the standard but it is the most desirable.

But Hitler wanted to make blond hair and blue eyes, one of the standards
of his superior race that he was trying to develope.
To who? To Hitler?

I was just in (southern) Europe. The beautiful brunettes there leave America wanting, big time.

Speaking of Hitler, I then transferred planes in Frankfurt Germany to come home. All the Aryan ladies (blonde/blue) behind the counters at Lufthansa look very generic.

Hitler was a mess. What was he going to do? Use the Italians as allies and then do them in later ... because they ain't Aryan?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:58 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
I don't know why but every time I go to the movies, the female romantic lead is always a bottle blonde woman. Even when Jessica Alba plays a sexy part, they usually bleach the **** out of her hair.

Most natural blondes I know (not very many) are not the image seen in the media.The most attractive blondes seen in media today, which usually have a tan are natural brunettes. Jenny McCarthy and Scarlett Johanssen are both clearly natural brunettes. All one has to do is google pictures of them and see their roots. Paris Hilton as well.

I have to say I'm disappointed by the lack of representation brunette beauties in modern films.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
bek most people (including people of color) find that to be the most appealing.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:00 PM

517 posts, read 999,071 times
when I was blonde most people thought I was just a regular stripper... I don't know I like darker hair more with blue eys...

Old 08-12-2012, 05:11 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I don't know why but every time I go to the movies, the female romantic lead is always a bottle blonde woman. Even when Jessica Alba plays a sexy part, they usually bleach the **** out of her hair.

Most natural blondes I know (not very many) are not the image seen in the media.The most attractive blondes seen in media today, which usually have a tan are natural brunettes. Jenny McCarthy and Scarlett Johanssen are both clearly natural brunettes. All one has to do is google pictures of them and see their roots. Paris Hilton as well.

I have to say I'm disappointed by the lack of representation brunette beauties in modern films.
I decided to look over some modern films and their leading ladies after reading your post. I tried to stick to ones with clear "sex symbol" sort of female leads, so Hermione Granger didn't make the cut. Here's what I found...
  • Transformers- Rosie Huntington-Whitely- blondeish, blue eyes
  • Pirates of the Caribbean- Penelope Cruz- brunette, brown eyes
  • Fast Five- Jordana Brewster- brunette, brown eyes
  • Mission Impossible- Paula Patton- brunette, brown eyes
    Thor- Natalie Portman- brunette, hazel eyes?
  • Captain America- Hayley Atwell- brunette, brown eyes
    The Help- Emma Stone- blonde in that movie and naturally but typically bottled brunette/redhead, green eyes
  • Green Lantern- Blake Lively- blonde, blue eyes

I just went down the list of top grossing movies of 2011 and took the first woman on the billing, skipping films that didn't seem to have a lead female (like Hangover 2) and movies aimed at teens (like Twilight). It seems like the dark eyed brunettes are in a comfortable lead.

Just to confirm this appearance that brunettes dominate, I flipped through a magazine and three catalogues that were near me. Lucky magazine was about 90% brunette, most of whom were white. The other 10% was blonde, save for one lonely redhead. Delia's catalogue was 100% brunette, maybe 5% were nonwhite, except for a single redhead in an ad. Anthropologie catalogue was 33% blonde...but then again, it only featured 3 models, a blonde, a brunette, and an Asian. Last catalogue is just a mini American Apparel lingerie booklet. 100% brunette, about 30-40% nonwhite.

Of course, this is all just a sampling but I suspect a wider study would support my findings: brunette females dominate in both the film and fashion industries. This perception that blondes are held up as the ideal or superior in any way is bunk, the data just don't support it.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:15 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
I think (natural) blondes in general look fresher. Still, I prefer brunettes with brown eyes.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Who said it was? I must have missed that declaration.
I don't think this is true anymore, and has never really been that much the case for men anyway. The fascinating with blondes seems more of a 20th century thing.

Look at some of the 'hot' pinups of today, Megan Fox, Jessica Alba, Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, they're not blonde. I actually can't them of that many blonde sex symbols that are like A-list celebrities.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Neither do I. I agree. There are MANY inbred looking people with blond hair and blue eyes. Most are, in fact, boring looking.

However, I think the media proffers blonde hair/blue eyes as the standard of beauty for a woman and brown hair/brown eyes as the standard of handsomeness for a man. That's what it seems like.
Those who believe this are probably stuck in the 80s or are not familiar with today's pop cultural celebs. If anything, if you consider the major sex symbols, the men seem to be more blue-eyed and the media seems to have a thing for Hispanic or Latin-looking women at the moment. They're the 'flavour of the month.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty