Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

Can you imagine how much money could be made if someone would just do up and down stripes? Those horizontal stripes are awful for almost all women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Right on, fat sisters!
I would be naked without Talbots. They have plus sizees, AND a great selection of pants and jackets in petite plus (I still have to have pants and jeans hemmed, though). The only thing I do not like is their insistence on using a nylon/rayon knit for a lot of tops that feels creepy, picks easily and rapidly becomes shapless. I always prefer natural fabrics. Oh, and I wish they had more selections in their stores...many times I order at the store for reduced shipping charges...it's not fair that I have to order and pay shipping and the misses sizes have more selection...also, not every one of their stores carries plus and plus petite.
Jessica London-looks great in the catalog, but sizes are never true and quality is simply awful. I usually end up shipping everything back.
Back when Mode magazine was publishing, sizes, styles and quality went up...but now there is less selection and quality is much poorer.
One of the most UNFAIR stores is Target. LOTS of cute designer clothes, cheap. Plus sizes=seriously ugly, poor-fitting, thin fabric, mis-seamed with very little selection.
I Love Talbots!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Can you imagine how much money could be made if someone would just do up and down stripes? Those horizontal stripes are awful for almost all women.
Ya know when I was anorexic stick thin I still did not like them. I think they are unflattering!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times
Your question is "Plus size clothes--why is the quality SO bad?"

My answer is

Because I haven't come out with my line yet

Don't get me wrong, I want to be able design for every size, but when I hear things like this, it keeps me focused one of the reasons I went into fashion to begin with. Sure it will cost more to produce clothes simply because it will take more fabric, but there is a need for them. I guess the industry thinks that if they produce poorer quality, more-expensive, fashionably impaired clothing Americans will get skinnier !

Have you guys checked out Monifc.com? She is a designer I haven't seen her selection lately but she seems to understand the need for women of a "certain size" to feel good and look good for a decent price. Also skorch.com is geared towards plus size women and has a list of places to go for cute clothes as well.

Hearing the frustrations make me so mad but then I channel into something positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm not talking moo-moos or aprons...I mean clothes like shirts, blouses, dresses, whatever.

I have been plus size (on the low end) for years but finding NICE clothes in natural fibers that don't break the bank is very difficult.

Recently I had to go get a few things and it took me forever. I wound up at Kmart buying a few items from the Jackelyn Smith collection.

Where do you plus ladies buy your clothes? What are your thoughts on quality?
Personally I hate artificial fabrics like polyester and so on.

I order from Woman Within (Lane Bryant) sometimes and they have a good choice of casual things but often it's hard to buy this way (if it doesn't fit you have to reship it back...).

Last edited by Bjones1976; 10-11-2007 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: ADD MORE

Old 10-11-2007, 01:32 PM

781 posts, read 3,817,033 times
I did not know that Talbots had plus sizes!!!! I just went online and ordered a few things:-) They are opening a new store right down the street so I hope I am happy with the new stuff I ordered......I would love to find another option for my body frame!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Ditto about CJ Banks sale rack's. I need tall pants and just scored a couple of pairs that fit for about $14.95@.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Look for Evan Picon, JH Collectibles, Liz Claiborne and Tommy Hilfinger. All of those brands have very good quality plus sized clothing. They can be found at stores such as Macy's and Carson's...mid range department stores. They are good quality and stylish. I think suff at Kohl's and Walmart is lame. I just bough a great suit at Carson's (JH Collectibles) for work with a great blouse for $175. It's a nice fabric and cut well. The Macy's ad Carson's house brands are good too.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:19 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
I get frustrated, becuase I would love to go out and buy a cute outfit for my Mom and I cant because most of the stuff looks bad, so I end up getting her jewlery or something,

Old 10-12-2007, 02:51 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,887 times
Default ladies have no fear

Plus Size Clothing For Curves! (http://www.venusdivamag.com/Pages/plus-size-clothing.asp - broken link)

Old 10-13-2007, 06:48 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Your question is "Plus size clothes--why is the quality SO bad?"

My answer is

Because I haven't come out with my line yet

Don't get me wrong, I want to be able design for every size, but when I hear things like this, it keeps me focused one of the reasons I went into fashion to begin with. Sure it will cost more to produce clothes simply because it will take more fabric, but there is a need for them. I guess the industry thinks that if they produce poorer quality, more-expensive, fashionably impaired clothing Americans will get skinnier !

Have you guys checked out Monifc.com? She is a designer I haven't seen her selection lately but she seems to understand the need for women of a "certain size" to feel good and look good for a decent price. Also skorch.com is geared towards plus size women and has a list of places to go for cute clothes as well.

Hearing the frustrations make me so mad but then I channel into something positive.

Monifc.com.....I personally thought everything was BEYOND hideous..I guess to each his own!
The lin skorch.com...it is some music web-site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty