Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 PM

15 posts, read 47,723 times

Advertisements

I am so glad to read everyone's opinions because I am sick and tired of the fashion industry dictating shapeless tents as de riguer for plus size women. I will occasionally find very cute things in plus sizes, but I refuse to hide my relative amount of fat under some jacket or two-piece coordinating pantsuit. GAG!!! I am a relatively young woman and I have style and although I wish I didn't have to, I don't mind shopping 10-12 different stores to find clothes that are cute and fit well.

I have found some cute things at Lane Bryant (very expensive for what it is), Dillard's, Old Navy (not outstanding quality, but cool online shopping), and Belk. I am definitely going to check out the places other people have mentioned in these posts. THanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Here's another one. Junonia. Wonderful great quality athletic/swimming/exercise clothes. Expensive but worth it.

I wore plus sizes for years and now I don't. Yes, plus sizes are unattractive, not stylish, and expensive. The average woman in America is a size 14. It would be nice if clothing manufacturers knew this!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I'm recently out of the plus-sizes - just barely, but I feel your pain sisters!! I've always gotten about 50-75% of my clothing at Lane Bryant (the store, not catalog which is different), since it's really the best selection as far as quality & cute-ness... they aren't cheap, but you can get coupons from their website and mailing list. I also like Avenue, Dress Barn for Women, Target (nicer than you'd expect!), and the major department stores.

Also, try the websites igigi.com, alight.com, and torrid.com... not sure if I can post the direct links, but they're easy to find. I know the owner of that first one, and the clothing is very good quality & cute, but on the expensive side. Alight sells discount clothing from the bigger-name stores (like LB), and torrid is for the funkier and/or younger gals. I know it's frustrating, so best of luck to you!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Go to Nordstrom or Saks and hit the sale racks. Or go to their outlets. Buy a few quality pieces and accessories with the cheap low quality stuff. A nice pair of pants, suit jacket, etc from Nordies will last years. I've seen a good plus sized section there.

If you want quality, plus sized or not, you're going to have to pay for it. I'm not plus sized, but got sick of buying clothes that wear out after one wash, so I now buy quality basic stuff.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
I just find it irritating that men are allowed to come in different height and weight combos and unless they are over 6'4" and over 300 pounds they can shop in the "regular" sections - in addition - alterations are INCLUDED for men's slacks and suit jackets - not women

Why do we tolerate this????

Old 10-09-2007, 07:31 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Hemming is included at Nordstrom, Saks, even The Limited.

I have never gone to a regular store and gotten free alterations for a suit for my husband. They'll hem the pants but not alter the jacket.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I have never gone to a regular store and gotten free alterations for a suit for my husband. They'll hem the pants but not alter the jacket.
I guess it is a regional thing - in the Wash DC area mens suit jacket sleeves will be altered and the pant legs hemmed for the price of the suit.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Well, someone can get rich (fashion designers take note) if they only consistently provided bigger women with NICE (not grandma type) clothing at fair prices.

I guess we have to shop around or lose weight!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
C.J. Banks, which is the plus size store of Christopher Banks has very nice plus size clothes and GREAT sale racks. They tend to be expensive, but I usually shop on the sale racks and have gotten some great bargains for quality clothes.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, someone can get rich (fashion designers take note) if they only consistently provided bigger women with NICE (not grandma type) clothing at fair prices.
I've always dreamed of doing just that, but unfortunately I lack any talent or expertise... guess I'd have to partner with a designer, and act behind the scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty