Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times

Advertisements

I ran across a couple of interesting blog posts on this topic, and it comes up pretty frequently here (directly or indirectly) so I thought it would be interested to talk about.

Depending on where you fall on the conventionally pretty spectrum (the "right" size, figure type, hair length, hair style, hair color, hair texture, skin tone, height, ethnicity, etc.....) your experience will differ.

And of course if you talk about it, people will decide that discussing the topic opens you up to criticism or dialogue about your own looks and where you fall on the "pretty" scale. It looks something like this:

Quote:
After several years of studying body image and writing/speaking about it publicly, the same brick wall loves to pop up and stifle any productive conversation about what we do: Our looks. Lexie and I will never be pretty enough or thin enough or ugly enough or fat enough (or insert any looks-oriented factor) to be credible spokespeople for positive body image and media literacy. Regardless of how research-backed, profound, truthful or crucially needed our messages are, there are — almost without fail — people who will dismiss us entirely as “just jealous of beautiful women” or “too pretty to know what body shame feels like.”
Source: You’re Not Pretty or Ugly Enough to Talk Body Image. Do It Anyway. | BEAUTY REDEFINED

Quote:
I'll never really know to what degree I've experienced beauty bias, in either direction. Few of us do. It could be that the small perks I've been attributing to being a nice-enough-looking lady—say, getting slipped a free cookie now and then at the deli—are just people being kind, and that they'd do the same if I were homely, or a man. I'm sure that is indeed the case sometimes, but I've been smacked down by my own naivete in this regard enough times to know better than to get all Pollyanna here. (One of the free-cookie men suddenly stopped giving me cookies after I stopped by once with a male friend. It was the illusion of availability that he liked—and once that fell to the wayside, so did my supply of white chocolate-macadamia treats.) We can have our hunches, but for the most part that's all we have.
Source: Beauty, and What It Means: Beauty Privilege: Can We Talk?

So do you think you have experienced any "pretty privilege" either positive or negative due to your perceived attractiveness? Have you ever noticed a big change after you have minor-ly or significantly altered your appearance (lost weight, gained weight, post-plastic surgery or other cosmetic enhancement, new haircut, new clothing style, post-puberty, new makeup style, "aged".....)?

Or is it something you have never considered at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,368,313 times
I really don't think about it too much. What I do think is that you are about to open up another one of those 'cans of worms' with this thread.

It will come out to be racial in nature and how dark skinned women are frowned upon. (I can tell the future) =) Or white or latina women have an advantage..in everything!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
Is this about people who feel they are not pretty enough or ugly enough to be special/likeable? Huh.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,382 times
I think of myself as average. One day I went out in public, dressed in sweat pants, and a baseball cap. Completely covered up. When I was crossing the street, someone nearly ran me over. They stepped on the gas pedal and tried to hit me. If I were dressed a lot better, I doubt that would have happened.

Quote:
I'll never really know to what degree I've experienced beauty bias, in either direction. Few of us do. It could be that the small perks I've been attributing to being a nice-enough-looking lady—say, getting slipped a free cookie now and then at the deli—are just people being kind, and that they'd do the same if I were homely, or a man. I'm sure that is indeed the case sometimes, but I've been smacked down by my own naivete in this regard enough times to know better than to get all Pollyanna here. (One of the free-cookie men suddenly stopped giving me cookies after I stopped by once with a male friend. It was the illusion of availability that he liked—and once that fell to the wayside, so did my supply of white chocolate-macadamia treats.) We can have our hunches, but for the most part that's all we have.
Race has a lot to do with this. I bet the woman in this article is White. I'm always reading these type of tales from white women.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I really don't think about it too much. What I do think is that you are about to open up another one of those 'cans of worms' with this thread.

It will come out to be racial in nature and how dark skinned women are frowned upon. (I can tell the future) =) Or white or latina women have an advantage..in everything!
LOL! I hope not! We can't counteract these things if we don't admit they exist. I would post a thread on "thin privilege" but we all know how that would turn out. "Those lazypots should stop eating McDonalds and exercise. Why do they think they deserve to be treated normally and have lives." And it would turn into a huge "fat bashing" thread.

I thought "pretty privilege" was a little "softer" and more people can relate to it, because I am sure everyone can think of a case where something happened where they were perceived as a "little" prettier than someone else. Even if it was only in the eyes of one beholder.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Is this about people who feel they are not pretty enough or ugly enough to be special/likeable? Huh.
About how being pretty/not pretty has helped/hurt you.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I think of myself as average. One day I went out in public, dressed in sweat pants, and a baseball cap. Completely covered up. When I was crossing the street, someone nearly ran me over. They stepped on the gas pedal and tried to hit me. If I were dressed a lot better, I doubt that would have happened.

Race has a lot to do with this. I bet the woman in this article is White. I'm always reading these type of tales from white women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
LOL! I hope not! We can't counteract these things if we don't admit they exist. I would post a thread on "thin privilege" but we all know how that would turn out. "Those lazypots should stop eating McDonalds and exercise. Why do they think they deserve to be treated normally and have lives." And it would turn into a huge "fat bashing" thread.

I thought "pretty privilege" was a little "softer" and more people can relate to it, because I am sure everyone can think of a case where something happened where they were perceived as a "little" prettier than someone else. Even if it was only in the eyes of one beholder.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
About how being pretty/not pretty has helped/hurt you.
I went to a restaurant, and the servers took way too long with my order. About 5 or 6 people came in after me and walked out with their meal. I was upset and politely demanded in a sweet voice that I get my order for free because of the inconvenience. The manager didn't argue and I got my meal for free of charge If people are treating you like crap because of your race or how you look then you have to demand respect.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I went to a restaurant, and the servers took way too long with my order. About 5 or 6 people came in after me and walked out with their meal. I was upset and politely demanded in a sweet voice that I get my order for free because of the inconvenience. The manager didn't argue and I got my meal for free of charge. If people are treating you like crap because of your race or how you look then you have to demand respect.
Demand and sweet don't really go together.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Demand and sweet don't really go together.
When I do it it does. I firmly let them know in a polite way why I should get my meal for free. And they gave it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty