Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 PM

275 posts, read 1,283,497 times

Advertisements

My scars:

- I fell on concrete sidewalk while running 3 weeks ago. My wounds on my hand have been healed, but there are too obvious to ignore. I have applied Neosporin on and off since, but I still wonder if there are good scar treatment ways to increase my hope of getting the skin back to normal?

- I also have a small scar from a little biopsy on my thigh 3 years ago.

The above two scars are raised above the surrounding skin, and darken in color.

- I also got some small dented scars on my face from acnes 10 years ago,

I have heard of
- Cimeosil® Scar Gel, which is a medical grade silicone compound. See Cimeosil
- Vitamin E Oil
- Mederma

What would you recommend for my newly scrape scar, my 3 year old biopsy scar, and 10 year old acne dented scars? The newly scrape scar is my biggest concern now.

BTW, I chatted with Rite Aid pharmacist online, who recommended Viamin E Oil and Mederma, and only said Cimeosil® Scar Gel is a medical grade silicone compound and didn't explain what that meant (worse or better).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
I would only use mederma. Vitamin e...I would skip that. You MAY have a reaction to vitamin e that can make the scar not heal as well. Its a commonly used therapy but I personally avoid it because of that possible issue. Plus simple is better. Keep your scars covered from sunlight as it can make them worse.

You can take the vitamin e internally as a vitamin. That would be good for your skin overall. Have some OJ with added calcium and zinc rich foods while healing.
Top 10 Foods Highest in Zinc
(easiest source is a fortified cereal)

Good Luck.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 AM

Thanks! What is OJ?
I will try mederma. Would you think GNC Aloe gel will help with the scar? I have one at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I would only use mederma. Vitamin e...I would skip that. You MAY have a reaction to vitamin e that can make the scar not heal as well. Its a commonly used therapy but I personally avoid it because of that possible issue. Plus simple is better. Keep your scars covered from sunlight as it can make them worse.

You can take the vitamin e internally as a vitamin. That would be good for your skin overall. Have some OJ with added calcium and zinc rich foods while healing.
Top 10 Foods Highest in Zinc
(easiest source is a fortified cereal)

Good Luck.

Last edited by timlee; 10-21-2012 at 07:36 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I actually had good results with Vit E on a surgical scar. My surgeon told me to start using it much sooner than three weeks, however.

I was told to buy Vit E capsules and open them up and put the Vit E on my skin directly from the capsules. My surgery scars are hardly noticeable.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks! Apply VE even before or right after the wound heals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I actually had good results with Vit E on a surgical scar. My surgeon told me to start using it much sooner than three weeks, however.

I was told to buy Vit E capsules and open them up and put the Vit E on my skin directly from the capsules. My surgery scars are hardly noticeable.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks! What is OJ?
Orange juice, I'm thinking.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM

467 posts, read 665,049 times
Try copper peptides:
SKIN BIOLOGY - HOME PAGE: Revitalize and Improve Your Skin's Appearance with Age-Defying Copper Peptides by Loren Pickart PhD

Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 PM

Thanks! Is the company SKIN BIOLOGY - HOME PAGE: Revitalize and Improve Your Skin's Appearance with Age-Defying Copper Peptides by Loren Pickart PhD a good one in producing scar diminishing products?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:38 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,609 times
Peels are pretty good at reducing scars so you might want to look into that.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks! What is OJ?
I will try mederma. Would you think GNC Aloe gel will help with the scar? I have one at hand.
Orange juice. I would only use mederma and not dilute it with any other product. Scars can be funny as they are up to each individual's wound and skin.

But more on why to not use vitamin e:
Vitamin E Is Controversial Treatment for Scars - The People's Pharmacy®

I have seen the mederma in action on wounds like you are talking about and surgical scars. Its actually pretty amazing stuff. I tested vitamin e on scars and have best results with mederma only topically. Vitamin e internally. (vitamin pill)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty