Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Eeew. I like preppy, but only the classic clean-cut preppy, like these:

I always thought preppy meant classic, traditional, clean-cut, and very discrete, ie. in no way ostentatious or loud, no bright/loud colors or designs, nothing obnoxious - the total opposite of the pics above. I guess if it's a common 'uniform' of a certain upper class group, it may attract girls because it reads 'money'. Although I would be inclined to think it screams more 'nouveau riche but trying to pretend otherwise" than true 'old money' preppy look.

That's pretty much what I think when I see the word "preppy" too. I consider myself "preppy-ish" , "Sloane- ranger" ish ( UK) , or BCBG ( French version) which tends to mean in my world understated classical look, muted colours on the whole, natural fabrics and a "clean" smart look but which does not scream money and no bling ,gharish clothes at any costs. Must be discreet.

People should be free to wear what they wish though without people instantly assuming one thing or another. Clothes do not always make the man in my experience. I prefer classical clothes myself and find that style more esthetically pleasing but on the whole unless it is truly ridiculous then I really don't care what people wear and take people as I find them.

I wear a lot of Navy, Beige, Creams and ballet flats, pearls, Alice Band etc... and I do get tired of people assuming I am a conservative, snooty snob just because of my choice of garments. They're just clothes. I find them pleasing to the eye, well cut and comfortable for ME. I don't expect everyone to like them but it seems a big leap to assume certain things simply because of them.

I personally don't wear a lot of colours apart from accessories like Pashminas and Gloves but it really does suit some people and Bohemian style clothes for example which would look a fright on me look fabulous on some people. We all need to find what we are comfortable in ,what we like and hope for the best....

I think the photos in the first post to me look like a 4th of July outing with the boxers presumably a homage to the occasion.

People are people. I am 45 now and have learnt that a shallow outlook on other's appearance is often a sure way to miss out on meeting interesting and lovely people. So I just go with the flow. Some looks irk me like those trousers which kids wear half way down their legs but on the whole clothes are just pieces of fabric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You must not get out much.

The flag pants are a little outrageous, but considering three of the guys are wearing them I would guess it was sort of a joke. But I'm okay with those looks in general. I hate that some men are so afraid of being labelled as gay or metro or ostentatious that they refuse to wear anything beyond the very basic navy, brown, and white.

Admittedly, that look is not typically worn by the kind of guy I prefer. The preppy look is typically preferred by frat boys who just don't do it for me. But it's not about the clothes, it's the personality that typically comes with it.
How can you defend these guys and then go on to say that these clothes are not what you prefer? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think all of the clothes are a joke, but just my opinion. And I wear plenty beyond "navy, brown, and white" Flamboyant bright colors like this I wear sometimes, it's really not even the color that bothers me, but the style of clothing. They are allowed to wear whatever they want, but they will be judged. Just as a girl who wears a low cut shirt and a mini skirt may look slutty, it is what it is.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Eeew. I like preppy, but only the classic clean-cut preppy, like these:

I always thought preppy meant classic, traditional, clean-cut, and very discrete, ie. in no way ostentatious or loud, no bright/loud colors or designs, nothing obnoxious - the total opposite of the pics above. I guess if it's a common 'uniform' of a certain upper class group, it may attract girls because it reads 'money'. Although I would be inclined to think it screams more 'nouveau riche but trying to pretend otherwise" than true 'old money' preppy look.
Wrong! Read The official preppy handbook and learn about real prep culture.

I like some of the stuff in that pic, but it's NOT preppy.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
It seems like most women my age (I just graduated college, so maybe it's just a younger person thing) seem to really like the super flamboyant preppy look with tons of bright colors and eccentric ties, etc. Examples of what I mean:

Do women really like guys who dress like that? I am by no means a sweatpants and graphic tee kind of person, but I prefer to dress in more muted, traditional colors like navy blue, black, white, beige, etc. I feel as though mens fashion is straightforward: be clean-cut and well put together (i.e. make sure the clothes fit well, don't wear athletic sneakers outside the gym, etc.) but don't be fashion forward or try to impress. I feel that dressing in loud colors isn't very masculine, but girls seem to love it.

Any thoughts?
Maybe women on the east coast do. In the Midwest they seem to like guys in plaid jackets (comes in three colors grey, red and blue).

Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
While I don't see anything wrong with how they are dressed....I wouldn't give them a 2nd look. They are too "pretty".

All those bright colors remind me of pretty little rich boys that live off a trust fund.

I like more of a rugged look.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
These young males all look like the kids of rich anglo privilege..They can afford to dress like clowns..and woman like it- it shows that they come from money and they might provide the female with a life time of support...Look at them- good dentistry..they are all robust physically - healthy..strong- the kind of health and looks that only money can buy.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
These young males all look like the kids of rich anglo privilege..They can afford to dress like clowns..and woman like it- it shows that they come from money and they might provide the female with a life time of support...Look at them- good dentistry..they are all robust physically - healthy..strong- the kind of health and looks that only money can buy.
Where I come from, the technical term for such individuals is "the waap"

Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,821 times
Yeah this is primarily an east coast prep look. And they even look a bit exaggerated.

Then there's the nerd prep look, which is more popular here on the west coast.

The guys on the east coast would un-ironically wear top-siders where guys on the west coast would wear Vans.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 PM

567 posts, read 1,012,267 times
You couldn't pay me to dress like that.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
Up until I was 40 I dressed pretty sharp with attention to details, plenty of what some of y'all consider "loud" shirts, ties, socks, whatever and color coordination.
I got laid a lot. I suppose mostly because it looked like I had a lot more money than I really did.

Then I actually started making real money, got married and turned into a slob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty