Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times

Advertisements

I don't know, but I would never wear those kinds of "bright" colors. I stick with blacks, navys, blues, whites, greys, etc.

Guys who wear bright colors come off as gay and metrosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
So the colors are the issue here? I thought it was the cheap Preppie-wannabe/Brooks-Brothers-look-but-from-Sears/Trad-on-a-shoestring-budget aspect of those outfits that were at issue.

I suppose that if I'd grown up in some East Coast place where most people were immigrants from non-pluralistic/homophobic/woman-hating cultures, then I'd see bright colors on men as different from the norm. But I'm from the Deep South, where most everybody is an Old Stock American. American men wear bright colors, and have been doing so for generations. And the higher their social class, the more American men lean toward pastels for casual hot weather social occasions.

Come to think of it, didn't The Great Gatsby have hundreds of custom shirts, in every color of the rainbow, so beautiful they made Uber-Wasp Daisy Buchannan cry? That was 1920s Long Island: three generations back.

Portland doesn't seem to have as many glossy society rags as my old metro, Jackson, Mississippi. Jackson magazines show one party after another, with totally "normal" upper-middle-class and upper-class men, wearing colors ranging from woodsy olives and russets, to day-glo and pastel...generally depending on the season. Most group shots show not one single man dressed in neutrals, unless it's a 'black tie' or 'white tie' occasion. Even at a 'black tie' ball, you may see silk brocade cummerbunds, vests, and bowties in glorious color... or trousers in the wearer's multicolored family tartan.

But those guys in Mississippi's society mags, even those at mere pool parties, are generally wearing more sophisticated cuts, and quality fabrics. The OP's photos showed really skimpy cuts, cheap fabrics, and a desperate need for starch.... or just a good ironing. The wearers in OP's photos seemed unaccustomed to dressing that way, and seemed to be acting more than a bit 'ironic'.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:23 PM

73 posts, read 161,453 times
My opinion.....which is very strong , would be that rich people dress this way becuase they dont care and i dont blame them. A hot mama will come their way and tell them how great the look so they can get on the gravy train. IMHO I think they look gay...........not that their is anything wrong with that. To qoute Sienfeld!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Depends on the guy. Some can make it look good.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 PM

375 posts, read 800,431 times
To be honest, as a guy when I see guys wearing what was in the OP's pictures, I don't see anything gay. Rather I see typical drunken douchey frat boys who think they are hot stuff because there in a frat paying to make friends and sleep with skanky chicks (not saying all frats or frat guys are like this, though i'm sure a lot are. Even at the one frat at the small state school I went to the one frat had guys who dressed like that and it screamed "douchebag" to me.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Ummm sorry but none of that is attractive to me. It's actually quite scary and they look like total douchebags

Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Guess I look like a douchebag, then....

....and I love that

Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I like the colorful preppy look. The sample images aren't quite as stylish as I'd like. They have the right pieces, but something is off.

These guys are doing it better for me.

From this awesome blog:STREET ETIQUETTE

Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
^ some damn good lookin dippers right there.

Pretty much how I dress.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
It seems like most women my age (I just graduated college, so maybe it's just a younger person thing) seem to really like the super flamboyant preppy look with tons of bright colors and eccentric ties, etc. Examples of what I mean:

Do women really like guys who dress like that? I am by no means a sweatpants and graphic tee kind of person, but I prefer to dress in more muted, traditional colors like navy blue, black, white, beige, etc. I feel as though mens fashion is straightforward: be clean-cut and well put together (i.e. make sure the clothes fit well, don't wear athletic sneakers outside the gym, etc.) but don't be fashion forward or try to impress. I feel that dressing in loud colors isn't very masculine, but girls seem to love it.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts:

Looks like these guys have the good looking women. Women like guys who are confident and can loosen up and have fun. Sometimes the occasion matters in regard to one's dress and the photos you've posted look like fun social occasions.

My thoughts about the reason these people bother you:

Maybe you're envious/jealous, perhaps even in such a way you don't realize it (buried deep, rationalized; rinse, repeat). The way you describe your choice of dress leads me to believe that you may intentionally want to blend in and not stand out. And combined with your worrying about what others do, I'd say your style of dress and reasons behind it stem form insecurity/lack of confidence. Maybe you'd be afraid to step out there and do something bold for the fear of a negative reaction. I should also add part of what bothers you is the sort of good friendships and connection the people in your photos have that allow them to confidently be silly together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty