Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

Meaning, they are a suffocating piece of fashion that is outdated.

Anyone agree?

I'm a guy who does like going out, well put together, and just don't like wearing a tie, unless I absolutely have to. It feels like something that is like the equivalent of wearing some traditional costume. You only do it on very traditional occasions.

A girl I was talking to the other day, think guys look so sexy in a tie. I basically said, I don't care. Its like me as a guy, saying that women look sexy in some 19th century, Victorian fashion that made it difficult for them to move around.

Even a button down shirt/dress shirt and a blazer can feel suffocating. Either I will simply wear a really nice button/dress shirt (one that has stripes or some pattern) or a nice blazer with a nice t-shirt underneath, or a nice v-neck sweater with either a t-shirt of dress shirt underneath.

Anyone else agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I started a very similar thread. Yes, I think they're pointless.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I agree.

I hate having to wear one, I have no idea how this became the standard uniform in the business world; everyone hates them (well most), yet there is this unsaid agreement that this trend should continue.

Worse is wearing it in hot climates, like where I am at in Miami; a nice July day and drenching in sweat from the stupid suit and tie, the best part is that my female co-workers get to wear a skirt, open toed shoes, and leave their shirt 1/3 unbuttoned for the same occasion.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Not even close. Ties function more like accessories. Corsets also alter a woman's shape to make her appear more attractive. More analogous would be panty hose.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:52 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I agree.

I hate having to wear one, I have no idea how this became the standard uniform in the business world; everyone hates them (well most), yet there is this unsaid agreement that this trend should continue.

Worse is wearing it in hot climates, like where I am at in Miami; a nice July day and drenching in sweat from the stupid suit and tie, the best part is that my female co-workers get to wear a skirt, open toed shoes, and leave their shirt 1/3 unbuttoned for the same occasion.
Agreed. I feel disgusting when I am in the same situation on a hot day.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Meaning, they are a suffocating piece of fashion that is outdated.

Anyone agree?

I'm a guy who does like going out, well put together, and just don't like wearing a tie, unless I absolutely have to. It feels like something that is like the equivalent of wearing some traditional costume. You only do it on very traditional occasions.

A girl I was talking to the other day, think guys look so sexy in a tie. I basically said, I don't care. Its like me as a guy, saying that women look sexy in some 19th century, Victorian fashion that made it difficult for them to move around.

Even a button down shirt/dress shirt and a blazer can feel suffocating. Either I will simply wear a really nice button/dress shirt (one that has stripes or some pattern) or a nice blazer with a nice t-shirt underneath, or a nice v-neck sweater with either a t-shirt of dress shirt underneath.

Anyone else agree?
Ties are stupid

Corsets are dangerous.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I'm clearly in the minority but I like ties. Just like cuff-links, it polishes the look.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
I like ties, but I don't have to wear them every day for work. (I'm in the military.) If I did, I'm sure I would tire of them quickly. For going out though and dressing up, I like them ... they're ok as evening wear for a few hours.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I don't like ties that much but considering corsets cause not only considerable discomfort, but also alter you posture, and can actually deform your rib cage and cause a host of medical issues including fainting I don't think they are quite in the same league.

Some men look good in suits and ties, on others it looks stupid. A tie is simply an accessory as a scarf is. A corset is meant to alter your physical shape and change the way you stand and walk. A lot of men I know actually like wearing ties because it is one of the few accessories a man can wear. Women have far more choice and ties often are the only thing a man has to make a statement, be bolder or demonstrate a little personality.

I love men who wear crisp shirts with cuff-links. Always looks very smart to me. And a good tie can finish it off perfectly.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
I hate ties. In my opinion it's such a double standard. Women can wear virtually anything and it's considered "proper office attire" but men are expected to wear a tie. Personally, I've always thought they are silly looking and strangulating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty