Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
New born babies and children before pubertry are hairless. Adults aren't. Hair does not preculde grooming or we'd all be shaving our heads.

Guys that shave it all off just look plastic. If I was going to date, that would be a total no no. Those who need it all shaved away would make me wonder about them. Women who save their *arms* need some body image therapy. Give me a furry chest. Certainly other places.

I like hairy chins too.

Men that waste time turning themselves into 'babies' are not real men in my book.
Fanned and faved! and yes I'm a baby boomer (born 1955) and yes I believe all in all we have a more healthy relation to our bodies than the Y generation which has it seems a big body image problem (for which reason I actally have no clue)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Gen X here (borderline millennial), and I don't understand the preoccupation with full body hair removal either. AND I am half Italian. I never shaved my arms, though a cousin of mine does, and I get icked whenever I feel her arm stubble, ugh. Mine is practically white blond, doesn't bother me or my husband.

I will say, nothing wrong with a little maintenance, but trimming is different from shaving/waxing, IMO.

As for my husband, I'd be quite upset if he shaved his chest hair.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Why are most Boomers opposed to trimming or even shaving body hair. My MIL was horrified when she found out that her daughter shaved her arms (I could only imagine her opinion if she knew what else). It seems that most Boomers feel this way. Generation X seems to be on board with overall body hair control while the Gen Y seem to just be shaving everything away. But back to the initial point, why are Boomers so opposed to at least basic grooming. I swear whenever I use the mens room I see hair in the urinal that is longer than my head hair. Pretty gross if you ask me.
Where do you live, rural Romania?! Cheap plastic razors were pretty much invented for the boomer generation, weren't they?
wtf??

Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I thought it looked weird, to have smoothe hair-free legs from the knees down, but hairy legs from the knees up.
Who has hair on their legs above their knees? I've only known 1 girl in HS who did. It's pretty rare.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm Gen X, but I'm a bit of a throwback when it comes to body hair. I think some body hair removal is ok (the armpits and legs for women), but other than that ... nah. Body hair is natural and looks good.
This is a sensible approach. What I don't get is guys who shave their heads. Young guys, with a healthy head of hair. I think it's a new Puritanism. A good head of hair for men is too sensual, or something. Do women really find shaved heads attractive? Naturally bald is ok, but the shaved look reminds me of skinheads and Russian mafia.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

This was a fashionable look in the 70s.

This was a generation that let it 'all hang out.' I kind of like the natural aesthetic of the 60s btw. I do think it's taken a bit too far these days, not that I find a smooth body unaesthetic.
Personally, I'm very well groomed and keep manscaped, but I would trade places with that guy in a second. That is a good looking man!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a sensible approach. What I don't get is guys who shave their heads. Young guys, with a healthy head of hair. I think it's a new Puritanism. A good head of hair for men is too sensual, or something. Do women really find shaved heads attractive? Naturally bald is ok, but the shaved look reminds me of skinheads and Russian mafia.
Me too. LOL

IMO.......very, very few men look better with shaved heads than they do with a nice, full head of hair.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Here is a good example: Mark Ballas from DWTS.....with hair....he looks good....... without the hair....... he is all nose and ears and looks goofy.

IMO

Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Here is a good example: Mark Ballas from DWTS.....with hair....he looks good....... without the hair....... he is all nose and ears and looks goofy.

IMO

Some people do look better with hair.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,862 times
I believe that Sam Elliot picture is from "The Lifeguard". I saw that movie when I was 17 and have been in love with Sam ever since. That's my idea of a manly bod!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty