Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,386 times

Advertisements

I think that low self esteem is the most unattractive feature of a person. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Colorism isn't just a black (American) problem. There are similar issues in much of Asia (especially Indian and South East Asia) and Latin America....

Here is some fairly recent research piece on how the actors and models in India are lighter with light eyes, lighter hair......http://www.aejmc.org/topics/archives/1189

This is an issue in Latin America as well.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
OP: you maybe able to get cheek implants or chin implants to alter your face shape. But before you make permanent modifications, you should find the true source of your unhappiness. Although these changes, to look more "mixed" may appear to be the solutions to all of your problems. You might actually find that once you "fix" your appearance, there is always something else that needs to be fixed and you can never reach true happiness.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayons00 View Post
Don't women get cheekbone implants? Are high cheekbones considered attractive?
Yeah, but an implant is a silicone pad -- not restructuring bone.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM

910 posts, read 2,294,153 times
Regardless of whether the OP is a "troll" or not I want to say that the majority of posters here are rather misinformed.

Plastic surgery to change bone structure is not that uncommon, especially in certain parts of the world, and it's not true that a good plastic surgeon would not do it, post-operative transgender men very often also have radical surgery on their faces and adam's apple so soften their look and become more believable.

And Korea, which has been called "the plastic surgery capital of the world" has lots of plastic surgeons who routinely practice this type of surgery on mostly young people who want to have their much desired "V" face, which is their high standard of beauty. To us here that's kind of wacked but... it's a different culture altogether so...

And while I believe self-esteem and a well-balanced mind is what we should all aim for, I wish to play "devil's advocate" for a change and ask why it is that most people find it OK for themselves or others to change their hair color to very often a complete opposite (and many do it for life), or its texture (straight to curly, or curly to straight...), or to wear contac lenses to change the color of their eyes, or to exercise with heavy weights to radically change the shape of their bodies BUT they find it unacceptable for anyone to want to change their skin tone (unless it's "just" a tan...). Even with plastic surgery, every year thousands of people change the shape of their noses, chins, the size of their breasts, thighs, stomachs, etc., but changing the bone structure is so taboo??? It's not something I would not choose to do (but then I've no complaints about my face!) and I find it a little extreme BUT, could it be that it's the "uncommon" factor what freaks out those who are so deadset against it? Have you all thought that a few decades ago the surgeries that we find common and even boring today were viewed the same way then?

There's people out there who IMO do worse things to themselves like this guy here:

And thankfully that's not what the OP wants. If this person truly has dysmorphia he/she's not going to listen about seeking any kind of help, but perhaps his/her case is not that bad, just an unhappy person with a bigger cosmetic problem than the rest of us, and like everyone else should be able to do whatever he or she prefers.

So OP, as long as you don't go and rob a bank but just save your own money, knock yourself out, you're the one who has to live with the results and not everyone else, but for that very reason please do try to make ultra duper sure that this is what you really want as once you do it there's no turning back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty