Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That's actually part of a *thing* that a certain segment of government recipients is into. It goes along with flaunting designer watches, hair weaves, gold jewelry, professional manicures, and certain other luxury items that are supposed to convey status.
This is pretty much ingrained in American culture. Keeping up with the Jones (i.e. getting stuff to impress others), wanting the trappings of the "good life" (fancy car, fancy home, fancy clothing....), and even living beyond your means. It is all part of the american dream, making it and flaunting it. It has very little to do with whether or not you are on welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Nothing ODD about it, it's all about money. I don't DONATE, never have never will. If the bag says $35.00 you either pay me $35 or you don't get it for $2 at goodwill. Cause I for one flat out refuse to take something I can make money off of and hand it to someone for free. I either make money or it goes in the trash. People who shop at goodwill have no business carrying Coach bags or any other designer bag anyways if they are too broke to buy new, or if they refuse to buy brand new because they are too cheap to go purchase these things for themselves so they look at goodwill for bargains.
This makes no sense to me. So people aren't allowed to shop for bargains or buy stuff on sale? Some people shop at goodwill for the hunt and getting something nice for a cheap. Some shop to resell stuff they acquired for cheap. Some people shop there because they want something unique. Some other people shop there to reuse/reduce/be more green. And some people shop there because they have limited options. It is pretty amazing that one store can hit so many different market segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
What about what I suggested earlier? There are programs that help women coming out of abusive relationships get back to working, etc.... Some of these women have nothing but want to try to get out there and work and really have no way to afford to get presentable looking clothing to work in or interview in, etc.
It can be hard to actually get on the right track without the right stuff to get there.

Quote:
You want to give a designer bag to homeless people? 1) It would be snatched up by someone working there. 2) If it made it to a homeless person they would sell it on the street for drugs/booze. People do strange things when given something for nothing, it just produces greed. People literally murder for designer goods. It's better to be purchased by someone who might really want it because they like it. I'm sure the bag could have sold on Ebay for a decent price.
There is a difference between people who choose to be homeless, and people who are homeless and trying to get out. (And people who have mental illness who are homeless).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
You want to give a designer bag to homeless people? 1) It would be snatched up by someone working there. 2) If it made it to a homeless person they would sell it on the street for drugs/booze. People do strange things when given something for nothing, it just produces greed. People literally murder for designer goods. It's better to be purchased by someone who might really want it because they like it. I'm sure the bag could have sold on Ebay for a decent price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

It can be hard to actually get on the right track without the right stuff to get there.

There is a difference between people who choose to be homeless, and people who are homeless and trying to get out. (And people who have mental illness who are homeless).
To tamajane. You are so seriously not understanding what I am saying. There are women who have been in relationships for years with someone who abuses them and they finally get the nerve to leave. A lot of these women have the drive to want to get out there and work and have a real life. Not a life within the confines of an abusive husband.

They need the appropriate clothing, etc, to get out there and interview and look nice so they can be confident and taken seriously.

These people for the most part do not have the means to do that.

Luckily when I left my abusive ex-husband, I had already been working in the medical field and was out there and not a housewife.

When I left, I left with nothing. My kids and I slept on a hard wood floor that first night and it was the most glorious thing not to be under the same roof as him.

My friends and co-workers came together and helped me with furniture and it was hard for me to accept, but I did it, and I did it graciously.

That Thanksgiving we did not have the money to travel to my family and really I had no idea what we were going to eat that would be any different than any other night.

At my work every year, we always came together, us and the doctors and we would choose a patient who we knew could benefit from that Thanksgiving dinner. That year they chose me. I had no idea it was happening, and I am in tears writing it right now and that was back in 07.

You would not believe how the smallest of things can impact a person.

I still don't have a whole lot. My bf is well off and has everything in the world, but I do not want that from him. I do not care terribly for material things.

If I have 4 extra dollars hanging around in my Jeep and I drive past a person who looks like they need it more than me, it is theirs. If I am eating in a restaurant and I see a person having a hard time picking what they are going to get and they pick the cheapest thing on the menu and ordering a water and just look like they need some help, when I leave, I pay their bill as well.

I spend time volunteering and just talking with the elderly. I can see the impact it makes on them.

While some homeless people out there may very well be in it for the booze, and it may be the reason they are where they are, there are probably just as many who do not want to be there. Not any one of us has walked in another persons shoes and can decide what is or is not going on in their lives.

There will not be a day in my life when I will look down on another person and decide I am better than them because they are in a bad place in their life.

When I needed more help than I knew, people were there for me and now that I can help others, even with a smile, I am going to damn sure do it.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
I think it's wrong to draw conclusions about people who carry Logo handbags. Both of my LV handbags were gifts. For me, they were free and they are extremely durable - so heck yea! I'm going to continue to use them on a daily basis until they get worn out. I use them because they get the job done and for now they are the strongest bags I own. I'm not a purse person. I haven't bought a bag in almost 7 years. I usually use my grandmothers vintage bags, a Longchamp tote I purchased myself in 2007, or these two LV bags that were gifted to me.

I'd really like to get a Lotuff leather bag when I have the money to do so. They're very classic and conservative. I was first introduced to them by Muffy Aldrich and her Daily Prep website.

Luxury Leather Handbags & Purses for Women | Lotuff Leather

Old 05-29-2013, 03:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Nothing ODD about it, it's all about money. I don't DONATE, never have never will. If the bag says $35.00 you either pay me $35 or you don't get it for $2 at goodwill. Cause I for one flat out refuse to take something I can make money off of and hand it to someone for free. I either make money or it goes in the trash. People who shop at goodwill have no business carrying Coach bags or any other designer bag anyways if they are too broke to buy new, or if they refuse to buy brand new because they are too cheap to go purchase these things for themselves so they look at goodwill for bargains.
That's cool. Because a lot of people feel like you do.

And your janitorial people who have to go through your trash anyway will take those goodies, and sell them on EBay...

Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
Donations can be a tax deduction, so it wouldn't actually be free (unless you didn't claim it naturally).
Yes, using the charitable contributions guide on Turbo Tax, I can make more money by donating to a thrift store and taking the tax deductions than I would have made by selling them at a garage sale. If I donate to Amvets, they even come and pick up my bags of stuff right off my porch.

It is ridiculously wasteful to throw away a practically new leather handbag, or anything still nice and usable, into the trash when those items could be of great benefit to someone in need.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
To tamajane. You are so seriously not understanding what I am saying. There are women who have been in relationships for years with someone who abuses them and they finally get the nerve to leave. A lot of these women have the drive to want to get out there and work and have a real life. Not a life within the confines of an abusive husband.

They need the appropriate clothing, etc, to get out there and interview and look nice so they can be confident and taken seriously.

These people for the most part do not have the means to do that.

Luckily when I left my abusive ex-husband, I had already been working in the medical field and was out there and not a housewife.

When I left, I left with nothing. My kids and I slept on a hard wood floor that first night and it was the most glorious thing not to be under the same roof as him.

My friends and co-workers came together and helped me with furniture and it was hard for me to accept, but I did it, and I did it graciously.

That Thanksgiving we did not have the money to travel to my family and really I had no idea what we were going to eat that would be any different than any other night.

At my work every year, we always came together, us and the doctors and we would choose a patient who we knew could benefit from that Thanksgiving dinner. That year they chose me. I had no idea it was happening, and I am in tears writing it right now and that was back in 07.

You would not believe how the smallest of things can impact a person.

I still don't have a whole lot. My bf is well off and has everything in the world, but I do not want that from him. I do not care terribly for material things.

If I have 4 extra dollars hanging around in my Jeep and I drive past a person who looks like they need it more than me, it is theirs. If I am eating in a restaurant and I see a person having a hard time picking what they are going to get and they pick the cheapest thing on the menu and ordering a water and just look like they need some help, when I leave, I pay their bill as well.

I spend time volunteering and just talking with the elderly. I can see the impact it makes on them.

While some homeless people out there may very well be in it for the booze, and it may be the reason they are where they are, there are probably just as many who do not want to be there. Not any one of us has walked in another persons shoes and can decide what is or is not going on in their lives.

There will not be a day in my life when I will look down on another person and decide I am better than them because they are in a bad place in their life.

When I needed more help than I knew, people were there for me and now that I can help others, even with a smile, I am going to damn sure do it.
This is one of the most beautiful, impressive posts I have ever read on CD. You are a kind and generous person, with strength and love and compassion. Thank you for sharing your story.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 AM

149 posts, read 256,840 times
I don't like the whole bag with the monogram on it either, I use to be a huge coach bag person back in the 90's then I switched to Michael Kor's (which I still carry but his high end bags) then I took a huge leap and moved to Chanel (I own 9 Chanel bags) My Chanel's are not my everyday bags.

To me I wanted something different that not everyone carries, and with LV everyone seems to own them. I do have one full mono bag (I just remembered I bought a Gucci Boston bag in December) and I do love my Gucci.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,003 times
I like the Louis Vuitton trunks and carry alls but not the handbags. Coach bags are gateway bags lol, I started with Coach 20 years ago and throughout the years moved to Chanel then to Hermes, ending up with 2 35cm birkins that I don't carry because frankly they are not easy to carry.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I like the Louis Vuitton trunks and carry alls but not the handbags. Coach bags are gateway bags lol, I started with Coach 20 years ago and throughout the years moved to Chanel then to Hermes, ending up with 2 35cm birkins that I don't carry because frankly they are not easy to carry.
I think the smaller sized Birkins are very classy looking but they seem a little impractical or those of us who don't have assistants to carry all of our stuff and a car and driver.

When that happens to me, I'll be running out to get a Kelly bag. Otherwise it is cross body or shoulder strap all the way.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think the smaller sized Birkins are very classy looking but they seem a little impractical or those of us who don't have assistants to carry all of our stuff and a car and driver.

When that happens to me, I'll be running out to get a Kelly bag. Otherwise it is cross body or shoulder strap all the way.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
The 32 cm are a nice size in a Kelly, the 35 is a bit big IMHO. If you like a cross body how about the Jypsieres? It's darling and practical. A few of my friends who have kids use them.
The Kelly can come with a shoulder strap too of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty