Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

I really do not understand the monogrammed or logo insignia handbags. I will admit to buying some nicer and designer bags. I don't have issues with simple logo hardware or a front plate. But the whole entire bag?

Can anyone explain this too me? I am talking about the Louis Vuitton canvas monogram bags, the Coach signature bags, the Michael Kors MK emblazoned bags, the g-ed up Gucci bags. And I know there are dozens more from Dooney and Bourke, DKNY, Calvin Klein and many other mid-tier and high end brands.

It is almost like it is meant to give of the impression, "since this bag is clearly and obviously designer, it must be classy." And are cheaper than the more understated bags, so people can feel like they have arrived when they get their entry-level piece. But I am confused. What do you think?*

*not long ago the most popular Michael Kors bag I saw walking around was the Birkin-inspired Hamilton one. Now it is the ones covered with MK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
It's just status...they want people to know they can afford such a frivolous item. Of course, you can buy legit designer bags for super cheap now at TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Ross and on ebay/craigslist as well.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:29 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I was with my SO Friday evening taking my cat to the vet and I saw three Coach bags.

The women carrying them all had dogs, all were dressed like $3.00 hookers and carrying Coach bags. Who seriously wears hooker heels to the vet with your dog dragging you through the place?

"Look at me! My clothes are cheap and trashy but I have a coach bag!"

I just sat there kind of perplexed. I sat and wondered if they thought that the bag made them exude class. I didn't think it did but maybe someone did.

There was an episode of What Not to Wear with a girl like that on there.....

Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
I bought my Coach signature bag because it matched a card case that I already had. Plus, it's on the small side (I pack my purse like a bento box and can cram an amazing amount of stuff in it) and it has a pouch in the front where I can put my work badge. It's a black one, so the C's don't really stand out. I just like the darned thing!

Some of the logo bags I've seen out there, I think the design is overkill, but it's not my money and really not my business.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I mainly carry a small fabric double sided bag, Comely Seat Belt Handbags or if we are traveling I have huge bags that I will carry so I can put all my need in the front of the vehicle stuff in it.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
I got a LV briefcase as I just like it. My brother used to work for Saks FA and could get LV luggage at discount. I inherited them and kind of liked having it. I like the quality and the style of it. I really don't care what people think when I carry it, good or bad.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 AM

747 posts, read 1,682,554 times
I have all kinds of logo bags by mainly Coach & LV but I have owned some D&B bags. I love them, I find leather bags to be so boring and plain to look at it. I bought one leather bag from Coach and only carried it once, I was so bored with it. It was just one plain color, nothing pretty to look at. I recently tried to sell 3 of my coach bags in a yard sale (the one leather bag and 2 logo bags) I sold my logo bags right off at a significantly higher price. At the end of the two days that leather bag was still sitting there unsold. I started the selling price at 60, went to 50, then 45 then finally 35 and still no one bought it, even though I had a piece of paper attached to it clearing stating it was a Coach bag. No one asked about it, or even looked at it. (it's a silvery blue zoe bag) I don't think people even like leather bags, shoot I couldn't give my plain leather one away, so it ended up in the trash at the end of the day. I think it's just all in what people like and don't like. I never see leather bags only logo designer bags. I personally like lots of color and fun whimsical items, the siggy bags just are more "me" then leather bags I guess, they have more color and for me are more fun to look at and carry.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
I like well designed bags, but I don't care who made them -- just as long as they don't plaster their logo all over them. And today, with so many knockoffs being sold, I'm sure many genuine designer bags are being mistaken for cheap ones sold on the street!

I bought a beautiful, inexpensive no-name plaid purse years ago, and I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on it!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I have all kinds of logo bags by mainly Coach & LV but I have owned some D&B bags. I love them, I find leather bags to be so boring and plain to look at it. I bought one leather bag from Coach and only carried it once, I was so bored with it. It was just one plain color, nothing pretty to look at. I recently tried to sell 3 of my coach bags in a yard sale (the one leather bag and 2 logo bags) I sold my logo bags right off at a significantly higher price. At the end of the two days that leather bag was still sitting there unsold. I started the selling price at 60, went to 50, then 45 then finally 35 and still no one bought it, even though I had a piece of paper attached to it clearing stating it was a Coach bag. No one asked about it, or even looked at it. (it's a silvery blue zoe bag) I don't think people even like leather bags, shoot I couldn't give my plain leather one away, so it ended up in the trash at the end of the day. I think it's just all in what people like and don't like. I never see leather bags only logo designer bags. I personally like lots of color and fun whimsical items, the siggy bags just are more "me" then leather bags I guess, they have more color and for me are more fun to look at and carry.

Why didn't you make a quick stop at Goodwill or Salvation Army or the Veterans Thift shop, a few minutes out of your day instead of wasting something that is in good shape and could help someone a wee bit at a thift shop.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
On the other hand....I have really liked some of the Jessica Simpson purses, but hesitated because her name was all over the damn thing.
I tend to buy many GUESS bags because of the BIG OLD G on it... (My initials)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty