Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

I've gone without taking a shower for several days in a row, back during one particular summer when I went mountainclimbing with 30 other teenagers on a cross-country hiking trip. But we had crystal clear lakes and ponds and other swimming holes, and natural waterfalls when we weren't at a camp that had plumbing.

Other than that, I won't normally go without a shower for more than three days. Usually I shower just every other day except in the summer. Then it's every day, and sometimes twice in the same day just to cool off under cold water.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What do I think? I think you need to do the math again. Monday to Sunday is NOT 5 days. If you don't use product in your hair, you can and actually should, go a few days without washing your hair. My hair is too thick to go more than 2 days without washing it. The fact that you washed your armpits and privates helps but if you're wearing perfume those days, how did you wash the scent off? If you had time to wash yourself down, how didn't you have time to put your hair up and jump in the shower for 10 minutes? You can get away once in a while without showering that long but I wouldn't do that regularly. Old skin cells need to be washed away. You should be approaching winter soon, so I'm guessing you're not sweating much either right now, which helps too.

PS-this thread is probably the first time I've seen the word "wonderful" used a bit too much lol
I actually clarified: i showered monday late at night and sunday early morning, so they were 5 days and a half, an absolute record. The most i ve been with no showering before that were 2 and a half days. I usually shower daily.

And yes, its winter here, cool week last week, didnt sweat at all. And im clean now, showered yesterday and again a little while ago after my running.

Last week i didnt do any sports either.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
I sure read the word "wonderful" one too many times by one man to describe your smell. I'm wondering if it might have been meant sarcastically.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
I sure read the word "wonderful" one too many times by one man to describe your smell. I'm wondering if it might have been meant sarcastically.
He was all over me! I mean kissing my neck and trying to kiss me.

No, he didnt mean it sarcastically, at all.

he was all "omg, you smell so wonderful and look so beautiful i so wanna make out with you right now" but we couldnt much cause we were in his workplace, but he was all over me.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
He was all over me! I mean kissing my neck and trying to kiss me.

No, he didnt mean it sarcastically, at all.

he was all "omg, you smell so wonderful and look so beautiful i so wanna make out with you right now" but we couldnt much cause we were in his workplace, but he was all over me.
It's the pheremones, then. Maybe from now on you should stop showering, regularly at least lol.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I'll take your word for it Sophie ! I must say I feel horrid if I don't have a bath every day ( I don't like showers) but as long as you wash and do thorough ablutions I suppose there is no reason why you should be that smelly unless you have been really physically active.

I used to do a lot of trekking in my younger healthier days and sometimes washing was not really possible apart from a very cursory one and I am pretty sure I stank to the high heavens ! ( difficult to tell in really hot moist environments like the Amazon when everyone else you are trekking with also really stinks and your senses are challenged in other ways but still.... I did have a dry shampoo I used to take everywhere with me though as I could not bear not washing my hair one way or another ( I would also choose a glacial stream over not washing my hair any day despite the "brain freeze" you get from it).

The one thing I could not do without unless it really was a dire emergency is brushing my teeth. I find when you feel tired, every bone and muscle in your body is screaming from walking miles and you don't have access to much water that brushing your teeth somehow makes you feel better and cleaner. Same with cleaning your feet. It is worth using that tiny amount of your water ration simply for the relief and boost you get from it.

To me having a bath every day is more than about just washing anyway, I just find it relaxing and it makes me feel a lot more positive and more "pepped up".

Most people around the world still do not shower every day ( or every week for that matter, water is a rare and precious resource for the majority world lest we forget) and are fine. I think you can stay clean without having to have a full shower, but I just like the feeling of the water and slipping into clean sheets feeling all fresh and fragrant.

We are probably over zealous when it comes to personal hygiene in the Westernised world, and prone to excess with cleaning products so your story is not something which shocks me really. I used to have two baths a day at least ( or one bath and one shower ) and my skin started to really suffer and I was told to stop being so obsessive with cleaning by the dermatologist.

Most of us lead sedate lives and sweat is not that much of an issue and I suspect we could quite easily learn to restrict our water consumption and relearn how to do ablutions without having a shower/bath without harming our personal hygiene too much and without smelling like ripe cheese !

I have been in seriously deprived parts of the world where people had to exist on incredibly small amounts of water and they did not stink, they were not dirty and it does make you think that perhaps we have gone too far the other way.

great post!

I too cant go without washing my teeth! Usually wash them 5 times a day or more, never gone without washing them more than a few hours and carry a tootbrush with me everywhere i go. I want my breath to feel minty and fresh all the time

Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's the pheremones, then. Maybe from now on you should stop showering, regularly at least lol.
Im guessing it had something to do with feromones, no kidding.

But i go running so have to shower daily or at least 5 times a week. The no showering experiment was highly successful though

Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM

19 posts, read 36,211 times
Groce

Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 AM

237 posts, read 392,144 times
I have lived in Europe a lot over the years and most people do not use deoderants or bathe as often as Americans will. Sometimes the smell is overbearing but most times it a very sweet body smell that to be honest is more arousing and attractive then any spray perfume has ever caused for me.

I dont wear any deoderant whatsoever from Friday to Monday. If I didnt live in America I wouldnt wear it at all but would still shower daily.

The body naturally regulates this if given a chance, if someoen who is very active, at first you will stink but give the body a chance and it will adapt. One thing though, if you eat a lot of junk then the body cant fight its toxic nature. Lots of water and as close to the source as possible for food and sure, why not, let your natural smell permeate!

Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Well folks, I had no hot water this morning after wearing the suit yesterday. I may find out first hand what the OP is talking about LOL.

It sucks, Personally. : (
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty