Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times

Advertisements

Any other men out there with a real mean neck shave? I've had it with my razor bumps and itching. This has never been a problem till now (I'm 29). I've always used the same razor (mach 3) and the same shaving cream (barbasol with aloe) and always showered then shaved.

What advice can you give? I think it is time for a change to the razor because for whatever reason my skin has gotten more sensitive and I've read the mach 3 razors pull the skin too much and close shaves increases chances of ingrown hairs, which mean razor bumps.

Also, any advice on how to help the current razor bumps heal?

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Acne face wash and leave on treatments. When you age your skin does not get rid of the dead layer as fast and it starts to happen somewhere after 25. Exfoliate your neck really well in shower with an acne face wash and rougher wash cloth, or scrubby gloves daily. The soft washcloths just don't get the dead skin off. To help it clear up you can swab it clean with an oxy pad in the middle of the day. You won't have to do that after you get it cleared up probably, but it helps during the breakout.

Sometimes those scrubby gloves are a little small for men's hands so you may have better luck with the mitten shaped type.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:42 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
In theory, if you get your skin all heated up with a hot towel wrap like they do in an old fashioned barber shop you won't get as close a shave and you may not have as bad a problem with ingrown hairs as otherwise. I don't see that myself. But I do know that the bad bumps come from minor skin infection. So making sure your face is free of bacteria BEFORE and AFTER you shave, and keeping your hands clean and off your face and neck will help a lot.

Before you shave, wash with a good antibacterial soap. Then after you shave use an alcohol based after shave or, like I do, just pour a little rubbing alcohol on a clean wet wash cloth and wipe things down.

Never re-use a wash cloth. Straight to the dirty laundry after any use. Even drying your clean hands. You can buy 50 of them for $15 and not make one load of laundry. Trust me on this one.

Neck and face touching is pretty hard to control especially if you have had itching for 15 years, so start with using hand sanitizer (Purell or equivalent) like it was free. Get a little bottle and disinfect your hands every time you get a chance. Refill the little bottle from one of those mongo quart versions. If you sweat after shaving, rub some of the hand sanitizer on your neck.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Are the bumps from ingrown hairs or from infections?

You could certainly try a different razor, make sure you are shaving "with" the direction your beard is growing.

If you have the near vision, dexterity, and patience, you can get a small hand-held electrolysis tool, Google it, I think it's American Medical Products. This can be used to apply "capital punishment" to hairs that are "repeat offenders". For whatever reason I find that about 1/3 of treated hairs grow back full size, 1/3 smaller and lighter, and 1/3 not at all, for a given "round" of treatment. Or you can get this done professionally, more practical for an area treatment. It's expensive, painful, and time-consuming, but as Arnie says "that which does not kill us makes us better looking". (He said something like that, no?)

Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 50,196 times
Thank you for your useful information!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Any other men out there with a real mean neck shave? I've had it with my razor bumps and itching. This has never been a problem till now (I'm 29). I've always used the same razor (mach 3) and the same shaving cream (barbasol with aloe) and always showered then shaved.

What advice can you give? I think it is time for a change to the razor because for whatever reason my skin has gotten more sensitive and I've read the mach 3 razors pull the skin too much and close shaves increases chances of ingrown hairs, which mean razor bumps.

thanks in advance.
see my post in this thread.........

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...-electric.html

Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 17,011 times
You need a good sharp razor and when you shave you must lift your neck slightly upwards and stretch the skin with a finger to keep your skin tight as the razor glides over. Also using disposable razors with the little tab on that stays moist and helps reduce friction against your skin will help alot

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
I have thought about using a electrolysis pen for certain parts of my neck. Are they worth investing in?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Learn How to Shave Like Your Grandpa | The Art of Manliness

Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

thanks in advance.
I know this comment is coming a little late but...Toss out you disposable razors! Buy a classic safety razor and don't look back. The problem with disposables is the multi blades, the first blade cuts the hair, the second lifts it and the third cuts it even shorter. Now the follicle is left to do damage below the surface of your skin. A double edge classic safety razor will give you the closest shave with out lift the hair. Plus the replacement blades cost pennies. Also use a kokum butter shaving puck and a shaving brush to apply it. The brush stimulates the skin and gives a more thorough coverage of soap. Throw out the gel and arisol shaving soap too, they don't coat the skin properly and you end up pushing the soap around with the razor. When you are done with the shave rinse with hot water then cold to close the pores. Then apply a moisturizer rather than an astringent which tends to agitate the skin. Hope this helps! For more tips and trick I encourage you to check out [url=http://howtogrowamoustache.com]How To Grow A Moustache - A Guide To Facial Awareness[/url]
Good luck!
Douglas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty