Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times

Advertisements

No one has said anything because you probably haven't reached that tipping point yet where someone actually realizes that every time they've seen you over the past X amount of time, you're wearing something stained/holey/splattered. That's when someone may take you aside and say "dude, whats up with the grunge look?" or "Hey, you'll get it together when you come to the wedding, right?"

No need to go overboard and look like a magazine ad day-in/day-out, but save the messed up pieces for times when you're actually working on the projects and get out the tidier things to wear when you aren't working on projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
If you are just going outside to work or do something very casual it's fine. If you go out to a nice place or a fancy dinner I'd buy some nice clothes for that.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Are you single? I hope not as if you were and I was single I wouldn't pay you any attention if you can't dress in normal decent clothes. Wearing those to the gym-fine but out in public and to peoples houses is just a no-no.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I don't know, I saw a pair of True Religion jeans on Amazon , ripped, bleached, bleach stain, they were $275.

I guess you are very trendy.

http://www.truereligionbrandjeans.co...01/p/9296.html

Last edited by jasper12; 07-18-2013 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 AM

413 posts, read 877,955 times
Default $275 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know, I saw a pair of True Religion jeans on Amazon , ripped, bleached, bleach stain, they were $275.

I guess you are very trendy.

MENS RICKY STRAIGHT PATCHED & DISTRESSED VINTAGE JEAN - Straight Leg | True Religion Brand Jeans

What a joke! True Religion now sells hole-y jeans.!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
no, not really. but i think many people want others to notice how nice and fashionable they look, because it seems like their appearance takes a lot of effort. i wonder how much people really care about how fashionable others look or is it more of an effort to feel accepted or worthy of a social circle.

i suppose for me it's more of a social experiment. i just don't care if i fit in, so that gives me freedom to dress as i like. a few years back, i almost always bought black shirts. black crew neck t shirts, v neck t shirts, button up shirts, sweaters, etc. i was wondering when someone would say something and eventually someone did. but i bet other people noticed and didn't feel comfortable saying anything.

i think that it takes A LOT before people will make a comment. but many will notice before that.
Yep, some people refuse to say it to your face, but they sure do notice.
Try dressing better. It's not much effort. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Don't break the bank. Stick to basics. It always pays to be well-groomed. You never know who you'll meet, and it could lead to something nice.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
What I wore to dinner, was a newish t and some beige shorts that are a year old, but with some light stains I that haven't washed out.
Please say that you haven't been wearing shorts for a year without washing them.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Please say that you haven't been wearing shorts for a year without washing them.
LOL I thought he meant that the stains won't wash out. I have dark clothes with small grease stains that won't come out, and tops with small dots where the damn bleach got it, but I wear them anyway.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
If you really want to keep your bleached, stained, faded clothes, consider dyeing them a new color. You may need to completely bleach out whatever color remains first, but you'll wind up with better looking garments if you dye them correctly.

But really, if they're that bad, use them for dust cloths or cat beds, and hit the second-hand shops (and summer sales; on now, for bargains on new summer clothes) to spruce up your wardrobe.

The dinner invitation you described seems to have been very spontaneous, so I'll give you a pass - you'd done your neighbor a favor, got invited to dinner on the spot in response, so no need to run home and change. But for anything with more notice - at least make sure your clothes are clean and neat. No stains, nothing in need of washing, no holes. Simple is okay, so is inexpensive.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,241 times
My husband used to get up and put on the crapiest cloths he had. One day I said, what is it? Do you want people to think your taking a break from working? (around the house). I really didn't get what it was about. And over time I realized he didn't know what to wear, so he wore what was most comfortable. Still it wasn't always appropriate.

He is much better now at dressing and will ask is this right? But before that I started saying, is that what your wearing? Then show him what was appropriate to the occasion.

My sister used to wear my clothes all the time growing up, only problem was she was a size or two larger then me, so often I wasn't able to wear that again. It took a while to realize that she didn't trust her judgment when it came to buying clothes...

For myself, I prefer to dress nicely, not showy, I don't do it for others attention, rather my individual taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty