Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,314 times

Advertisements

I've always gone for the Italian types.

Not to be confused with the Greek types, who do absolutely nothing for me.

Bizarre...it's not racism, its something I've realised over the years of living in a heavily European city. I just don't fancy them for some weird reason, even if I have no clue of their ethnicity. It's almost like my DNA doesn't like them.

Anyway almost always dark men. Dark eyes dark hair dark skin, or green or blue eyes dark hair dark skin *yum*

Fortunately European men love me, my ex (Croatian...gorgeous) told me that I have the "ideal beauty" having fair skin, black hair and green eyes and being smallish and feminine. Yay me. So I can almost guarantee if I get chatted up at the club, it will be a guy with Italian parentage. Right now my squeeze is half Australian (mum) half Italian (dad) which is a delicious combination.

Blond men generally leave me cold but I am madly in lust with Charlie Hunnam so there's always the exception to the rule.

I can assure you that Asians love blonde children. Just love them. I took my kids to Disneyland Hong Kong and we were photographing Mickey and Minnie, the locals were photographing my kids! So funny, kinda creepy if you're a 14 year old girl though like my daughter at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:08 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Women are often attracted to men that remind them of someone from their youth they liked or loved. It can be hair color, cologne, a smile, attitude, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:35 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
In my experience, most women really could care less about the color of hair, eyes, etc. Mostly, they only care about green.........as in the inside of a man's wallet.

Case in point........Hugh Hefner.......nuff said. I'm sure if Hugh were a greeter at WalMart he would still have all those young girlfriends hanging around him.

Don

Old 08-01-2013, 07:43 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've always gone for dark hair and eyes, but that might just be because that seems to be more common where I live. I married a guy with black hair and dark brown eyes and we ended up with very pretty kids
I live in the same area as you and I've wondered if that's why I have similar attractions....? I was never into blondes.

As for pretty kids; it does make a great combo huh? I just posted on another similar thread but my firstborn son's father is Hispanic, light to medium brown skin, green eyes, dark black hair. I am white, fair skinned, was a blonde kid, but also with green eyes. My eldest son hit the freakin' genetic jackpot with thick, chestnut brown hair yet lighter skin, long and thick black eyelashes and pale green-grey eyes. And dimples! Not fair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Women are often attracted to men that remind them of someone from their youth they liked or loved. It can be hair color, cologne, a smile, attitude, etc.
I don't know, never applied to me. I guess I tend to be attracted to people more closely matching my father's physical characteristics (darker, more 'rugged') but I didn't like him or have much fondness there; he was an ass. I adored my older brother though, and he was definitely a father figure to me and instrumental in my upbringing, but he is blonde/blue eyed and I have never been attracted to that "type".

As I said elsewhere though, all bets are off if someone has an awesome personality, charm, charisma, then they can be ginger and we're good.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:18 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
In my experience, most women really could care less about the color of hair, eyes, etc. Mostly, they only care about green.........as in the inside of a man's wallet.

Case in point........Hugh Hefner.......nuff said. I'm sure if Hugh were a greeter at WalMart he would still have all those young girlfriends hanging around him.
Oh, now... not all of us are shallow & run towards the smell of money alone. I don't find Hugh Heffner attractive in any way... don't know many women who do. Many of us have goals, cultivate dreams, fall in love, have self-respect, earn our own money, place importance on what's inside ours & a man's heart & brain, etc.

I'm guessing unlike Hugh, your wallet's always on the light side, your greeter job at WalMart is in jeopardy & there haven't been many girlfriends, but you blame the 1st 2 reasons as to why, yes? If not, then look beyond the women to whom you choose to empty your wallet.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There does seem to be somewhat of a "bandwagon" of people who seem to only prefer dark men - Mediterranean types. Has anyone else noticed this?
Hiya Sheena...

Agreed, I've noticed it's become more trendy, but, I've also always noticed that opposites attract.

Truth be told, I prefer men who are natural blondes & tall like me (eye color never meant anything to me), but they've all seemed to be attracted to short, dark women... & throughout my life, I've always been approached by dark men on the shorter side & felt the need to wear flats when with them. <big sigh>

Now, the SO is blonde/blue/6' & we get a lot of attention when out together because we're one of those couples who looks alike. I also love finally being able to wear 3" heels & he's still a touch taller.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Does anyone have any guesses as to why the Mediterranean look is so popular now?

Not only for men, but for women?

I've never found that look to be attractive at all.

It's not a case of opposites attract - I was "born blonde" and still am with some help,have green eyes and fair skin.

My father was blond and blue eyed but tanned easily. As another poster said, I do not think he would have anything to do with my taste in men.

For the most part he did only in one way and it didn't have a thing to do with coloring - he has a very athletic and muscular build and he's 5'10.
Very jocky and macho. Objectively, good looking. But not my type.

I always wend for taller, skinny guys with a more Rock n Roll slim body. Little buts that look good in jeans and long legs.

I really don't like the "Guido" look - gold chains ultra jet black hair. Since I grew up outside of NYC, there were quite a few people who had the Italian look - or tried to
have it. I was never attracted to John Travolta, for example; is the late 70s the way a lot of women my age were.

I still would say no extremes on either end, and while I have a cute ginger nephew who is twelve - and red hair runs in my family - it's not my thing.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Does anyone have any guesses as to why the Mediterranean look is so popular now? Not only for men, but for women?
Hiya Sheena...

I'm guessing any trend is similar to fashion or music trends or even furniture... one goes out for awhile, another comes around, then we recycle back to the 1st. Look at the most popular actresses in earlier decades... the 30s showcased women with darker hair, the 50s were more blondes, the 60s were brunettes again, 70s were more blonde, etc. That's not a hard & fast rule, but there are traceable trends.

Even body type trends come & go... 20s with the thin, tall flapper look a la Harlow, 50s with a more curvy Marilyn figure, 60s back to thin Twiggy types, now we're into fuller figures being in the forefront again.

The recent trend you mentioned seems to have begun with the Latin explosion a few years ago in the music & film community. But, that's just my observation. Before that, there were a handful of Asian actresses & models who were popular for a moment, but that seems to have passed quickly. I'm beginning to see very young male actors who are blonde/blue surfacing... maybe that's the next trend cycling back in a few years' time?

Quote:
I've never found that look to be attractive at all.
And, that's probably the power of genetics & a good thing. If all men/women were attracted to the same type, there would only be desire for that type alone & a lot of lonely people home on Fri/Sat nights because there wouldn't be enough of Type A to go around.

Quote:
I was never attracted to John Travolta, for example; is the late 70s the way a lot of women my age were... and while I have a cute ginger nephew who is twelve - and red hair runs in my family - it's not my thing.
I experience the same. What most mainstream women find attractive isn't my cup of tea & vice versa... Travolta, Cruise, Hugh Jackman, Ben Afleck, Matt Damon, Richard Gere... they all do nothing for me. I always liked pretty boys... Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Zac Efron, Jared Leto.

Orange is an aversion to me, as well. I think that's from childhood. I had a few very unattractive, not very nice cousins, built like over-sized refrigerators with curly, wiry orange hair & matching orange eyelashes/freckles... they always scared me as a very small kid because they were big, mean, orange giants who couldn't be trusted & cussed up a storm. Many people like redheads. I'm not one of them.

Nothing wrong with preferences. We can't all like the same thing. To each her/his own.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,375 times
I dont care what color of eyes or skin, just cant be skinny as a rail

Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Oh, now... not all of us are shallow & run towards the smell of money alone. I don't find Hugh Heffner attractive in any way... don't know many women who do. Many of us have goals, cultivate dreams, fall in love, have self-respect, earn our own money, place importance on what's inside ours & a man's heart & brain, etc.

I'm guessing unlike Hugh, your wallet's always on the light side, your greeter job at WalMart is in jeopardy & there haven't been many girlfriends, but you blame the 1st 2 reasons as to why, yes? If not, then look beyond the women to whom you choose to empty your wallet.

I cannot agree more with this ^^^^^^ TY .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty