Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 PM

361 posts, read 725,188 times

Advertisements

I loooove Hot water. I mean, I really do. Unfortunately my skin tends to itch during and after showers -that's why nobody can enter the bathroom right after I shower.

The itching usually starts around fall, all the way through early spring. That's why I also use a special kind of soap and body lotion for my skin but sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

Is anyone else having this issue? What product do you use or what do you do to make the itching go away??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
You'll have to stop the hot showers if you really want to help end the itchy skin. The hot showers dry up the natural oils released on the skin. If you won't give up the heat, then make sure you apply a thick oil based cream to the skin, petroleum jelly (Vaseline,) may be helpful to aid in trapping moisture on the skin.

Believe me, I understand, I love my hot showers and get the itchy skin because of lingering it there too long, even in summer, though sometimes if I feel too heated, I'll switch it up. So do as I say, (avoid hot showers) not as I do. But the oil based creams are more helpful.

There's a brand of foot moisturizer that I use, that works miracles on my feet, I wonder if they carry a body ointment. Just thinking out loud.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 AM

361 posts, read 725,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
You'll have to stop the hot showers if you really want to help end the itchy skin. The hot showers dry up the natural oils released on the skin. If you won't give up the heat, then make sure you apply a thick oil based cream to the skin, petroleum jelly (Vaseline,) may be helpful to aid in trapping moisture on the skin.

Believe me, I understand, I love my hot showers and get the itchy skin because of lingering it there too long, even in summer, though sometimes if I feel too heated, I'll switch it up. So do as I say, (avoid hot showers) not as I do. But the oil based creams are more helpful.

There's a brand of foot moisturizer that I use, that works miracles on my feet, I wonder if they carry a body ointment. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks TRosa, but I probably won't stop the hot showers any time soon however, I like your idea of using Vaseline. I've heard that they work wonders on dry skin but wasn't sure about itchy skin.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:12 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I loooove Hot water. I mean, I really do. Unfortunately my skin tends to itch during and after showers -that's why nobody can enter the bathroom right after I shower.

The itching usually starts around fall, all the way through early spring. That's why I also use a special kind of soap and body lotion for my skin but sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

Is anyone else having this issue? What product do you use or what do you do to make the itching go away??
There is a good possibility that you could be having a reaction to any one of the dozens of chemicals that they use to treat water. They are highly caustic and many people have bad reactions to them.

If you live on city water, I don't know what you tell you. You might consider getting a "whole house" water purifier, if possible. Or you might consider moving out to the country where you can have well water.

20yrsiBRanson

Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Try coconut oil too to help with the itchiness and dryness. It is antifungal as well.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Same with me but mine is worst, I develop big lumps on my skin and I believe it's Urticaria. I think it's the pressure from the hot water.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:36 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
I have several customers swear by Alpha Keri bath and shower oil, and local docs seem to recommend it fairly often too. Might be worth a shot.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
I use a shower head filter -- that is, a shower head with a filter inside, and you change it every six months or so. That helps filter and soften the water you use while showering. I ordered mine off Amazon.

You can also make a body oil (olive, coconut, etc.) and keep it in the shower in a color applicator bottle. When you are done showering, squirt some on and then dry off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty