Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More annoying: Formal clothing in Winter Vs. Summer
Winter 6 22.22%
Summer 21 77.78%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:40 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

I don't find formal wear 'annoying'... no matter what the season or temperature.

IF I am in formal attire, it is for a special and joyous occasion. Not a thing there to be annoyed about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
I would preferably not wear formal clothes because they restrict free motion in addition to feeling uncomfortable. But since I am in my senior year of college and need to go to career fairs and interviews, formals are a must. My favorite thing to wear Calvin Klein jeans with a simple polo.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:03 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
We are talking about different things then.

Career fairs and interviews are not formal... and do not warrant formal clothes.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:23 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I am female - formal is awful in the summer when temps are over 110. Formal wear isn't always bare arms. I am not comfortable in it, it's usually worse in hot temps. I also agree that to me formal can also mean career wear, and perhaps a blazer, long sleeves, or a long dress, dress shoes - awful in the desert temps. Also, restrictive in movement. I'm just not comfortable in formal wear, it's not me.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I also agree that to me formal can also mean career wear, and perhaps a blazer, long sleeves, or a long dress, dress shoes - awful in the desert temps. Also, restrictive in movement. I'm just not comfortable in formal wear, it's not me.
Well, I suppose you can make up any definition that you want for "formalwear" but it is not the accepted definition. Look up formal wear or formalwear on google - on every site I looked at it means this:

for·mal·wear (fôrml-wâr)
n.
Attire, such as evening gowns and tuxedos, for wear on formal occasions.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't find formal wear 'annoying'... no matter what the season or temperature.
So you never heard about the news in Atlanta where people succumbed from heat stroke waiting for a job fair in July of 2011. Several people were miserable in the summer heat wearing formals. Here is the link:

9 treated for heat exhaustion at job fair in southwest Atlanta - CBS Atlanta News

Old 11-01-2013, 03:17 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
I consider formal clothing evening gowns and black tie.

I think it's fun to dress formally. I don't get to wear evening gowns that often--just 2-3 times a year maximum. So when I do it's special and exciting, and like another poster said, it's because I'm going out to celebrate a noteworthy and joyous occasion.

The season doesn't matter to me. I never find it annoying.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:36 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Ok: now that we know what you mean by "Formal", I can actually give advice. My Husband is a huge, hairy Cajun bodybuilder, with descent from Canada's First Nations. In other words, he's absolutely miserable in heat. But he wanted to be a big somebody in the world, and not just another scientist working for others - and that entailed, among other things, PROPER BUSINESS ATTIRE.

Three-piece suits are not necessary, or even desirable, for business. Even here in Oregon, he mostly wears Tropical Weight suits with unlined jackets, and very thin (but high quality) cotton shirts, WITHOUT UNDERSHIRTS. In really bad weather, he wears black loafer socks, and loafers (the right kinds are considered as formal as lace-ups). The loafers, he can kick off in cars, or under conference tables. A lot of body heat can be lost through the feet. And instead of Boxers, he wears designer briefs (which I like...). That one switch eliminates practically a whole 'layer'. His junk is way too big for him to be running around in boxers, anyway (unless he wants to distract opponents from the business at hand - in which case he wears silk boxers and a silk suit - when he catches them looking, he can then subtly - implicitly - 'trade-up' and gain a bit of leverage in the negotiations.). Neckties, he has never considered a problem.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:18 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I would preferably not wear formal clothes because they restrict free motion in addition to feeling uncomfortable. But since I am in my senior year of college and need to go to career fairs and interviews, formals are a must. My favorite thing to wear Calvin Klein jeans with a simple polo.
Please change: Sports coat, chinos, shirt ((summer darks are ok), tie. Unless you are in a technical field such as oil/construction.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Ok: now that we know what you mean by "Formal", I can actually give advice. My Husband is a huge, hairy Cajun bodybuilder, with descent from Canada's First Nations. In other words, he's absolutely miserable in heat. But he wanted to be a big somebody in the world, and not just another scientist working for others - and that entailed, among other things, PROPER BUSINESS ATTIRE.

Three-piece suits are not necessary, or even desirable, for business. Even here in Oregon, he mostly wears Tropical Weight suits with unlined jackets, and very thin (but high quality) cotton shirts, WITHOUT UNDERSHIRTS. In really bad weather, he wears black loafer socks, and loafers (the right kinds are considered as formal as lace-ups). The loafers, he can kick off in cars, or under conference tables. A lot of body heat can be lost through the feet. And instead of Boxers, he wears designer briefs (which I like...). That one switch eliminates practically a whole 'layer'. His junk is way too big for him to be running around in boxers, anyway (unless he wants to distract opponents from the business at hand - in which case he wears silk boxers and a silk suit - when he catches them looking, he can then subtly - implicitly - 'trade-up' and gain a bit of leverage in the negotiations.). Neckties, he has never considered a problem.
What line of work is he in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty