Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times

Advertisements

I've told this story on the forum before, but maybe it's time to trot it out again.

In 1998, I was working at a gas station. An elderly man in very short, lemon-yellow shorts (and matching golf shirt) came in to ask for directions. He was tall and our counters were fairly low. I started drawing him a map and then noticed that his nuts (sorry, but the forum will censor the medical term for them) were hanging out the side of his shorts. I wasn't comfortable saying anything to him about it, but my coworker, who never had a shy day in her life, burst out with, "Pardon me, sir, but I think you may have dropped a nut!"

My FIL used to have trouble with same thing. He would be holding my infant, I'd look down, and the boys were hanging out (now he managed this with basketball shorts which is odd and troubling).

And that is why I wholeheartedly believe that mens shorts should be knee-length or not more than a few inches above.

If you need to be a trendsetter and go shorter than that, please wear the appropriate undergarments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
We somehow went back to the bible belt way and now men wear super long so-called shorts to cover up more. It is kind of silly. Glad they wear shorts in Europe at least. They just don't worry so much about showing a little leg. Oh and as far as comfort, shorter shorts are way more comfortable. They don't need to be tight at all, just fit.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
"Why do a majority of women dislike a man wearing above the knee shorts?"

How do you know a majority of women dislike anything? Have you asked a majority or have you just taken it upon yourself to speak for them?
You don't need to go and ask everyone a question if you want to know how a large group feels about an issue. You can do a survey. They work.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Wow, you sure are judgmental. Some of us would rather be comfortable than worry about impressing shallow strangers.
Yes, I am judgmental. I have standards that include dressing very casually in church or in business offices is inappropriate. You're free not to adhere to my standards. I'm free to make the assumption that your desire to be comfortable over showing respect to customers, co-workers, and co-worshipers is rude.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
You mean like this?

<Picture of Reno 911 character here>
LOL, I saw a guy dressed up like this on the Las Vegas Strip recently - he was one of those "pose for pictures for tips" people. He didn't look too happy. (An increasing number of "show girl" picture posers on the strip it would seem...)

And my wise okole answer will be "because his legs look better than her's!"

Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I don't know how many here watch Mad Men, but when Bob Benson showed up in his little fish shorts, my Facebook wall blew up with a bunch of women saying "mmm...look at those legs." So yeah: Mad Men Fashion: Salute Bob Benson's Shorts! | MOD | Portland Mercury

Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've told this story on the forum before, but maybe it's time to trot it out again.

In 1998, I was working at a gas station. An elderly man in very short, lemon-yellow shorts (and matching golf shirt) came in to ask for directions. He was tall and our counters were fairly low. I started drawing him a map and then noticed that his nuts (sorry, but the forum will censor the medical term for them) were hanging out the side of his shorts. I wasn't comfortable saying anything to him about it, but my coworker, who never had a shy day in her life, burst out with, "Pardon me, sir, but I think you may have dropped a nut!"

My FIL used to have trouble with same thing. He would be holding my infant, I'd look down, and the boys were hanging out (now he managed this with basketball shorts which is odd and troubling).

And that is why I wholeheartedly believe that mens shorts should be knee-length or not more than a few inches above.

If you need to be a trendsetter and go shorter than that, please wear the appropriate undergarments.
That's like saying sheer blouses are ugly just because you need to wear undergarments with them.

I have worn many beautiful sheer tops/open weave sweaters that would not have been appropriate without wearing something underneath.

Same goes for many skirts and dresses I have worn.

Just because you needed to wear a slip under them didn't make the style ugly or inappropriate.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
I live in a very integrated city and wear just-above-the-knee shorts constantly during the spring/summer/autumn, except for church services or fancy dinners out on the town. I have never heard any derogatory comments about my choice of dress. I'm not a youngster either at 62. Maybe the view of my chiseled legs due to over a hundred miles of cycling every week mitigate any snide remarks I may get. I don't care what anybody thinks and would rather be comfortable.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:12 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,685 times
Simple answer - there are unfortunately a lot of judgmental people in the world who have nothing better to do or feel compelled to bring themselves up however they can.
I couldn't care less what people think about my appearance; neither should you!

Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 PM

604 posts, read 839,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

That's hilarious. Unintentional flashing happened quite a bit in the late 70's and early 80's. Those 1" or 2" inseam cotton gym shorts that lots of people wore revealed way too much...........on men and women. As my Mom said indignantly, "It's not public hair."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty