Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:57 PM

265 posts, read 155,653 times

Advertisements

"It keeps me warm"

There are a lot of jackets that serve this purpose.

"you want me to throw away a perfectly good jacket because you say it is out of style"

No. but why did you buy some over-priced trendy thing in the first place? Right I am sure everyone bought theirs 20 yrs ago and it's still in great shape ... yea right. When I make a mistake with a clothing purchase and change my mind -- I return the item and buy something else.

"walk my dogs..."

You really realize you bought a jacket that is marketed for like arctic adventures. Unless you are walking your dogs in Anarctica, I don't see this is a good argument.

These jackets are basically over-priced, Chinese made sweatshirts if we're taking about the fleece ones. 180 dollars for a chinese made sweatshirt. pffft. I guess those down parka things they make are OK for like 10 degree and below days but, most have those stupid fleece ones. the most i paid for a jacket is like 200 dollars and it was a new leather. You're telling me some north but t sweat-shirt looks as good as that? It's like pajama clothing.

But I get it in a way. They are comfortable they have a logo that tells you and everyone you bought the right jacket. they are readily available. But north face is a big rip off. I have EMS stuff which is just as good and much less money. The logo is less conspicuous too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 05:41 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I thought it was ssoooo 2005? Do people still wear North Face jackets where you live?
In my experience, North Face is extremely high quality. My North Face hiking shoes were $110. Not cheap but not stratospheric, either. They've lasted through ten years of solid use of Minnesota weather, which includes a lot of wet/mud. They're almost finished, but I've been amazed at their durability.

My other North Face product is a jacket. My wife picked it up for me at a used clothing chain - it was $30 (retailed for at least $150) but had obviously never been worn. It was probably purchased by some label-obsessed moron who then decided it was 'out of style' because s/he was terrified that some other fashion-obsessed moron would deem it un-cool.

Moron's loss, my gain.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:50 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
They dont wear out and the style is classic, so why would anyone stop wearing one?

Old 03-30-2018, 06:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They dont wear out and the style is classic, so why would anyone stop wearing one?
Exactly!

Old 03-30-2018, 07:43 PM

265 posts, read 155,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
In my experience, North Face is extremely high quality. My North Face hiking shoes were $110. Not cheap but not stratospheric, either. They've lasted through ten years of solid use of Minnesota weather, which includes a lot of wet/mud. They're almost finished, but I've been amazed at their durability.

My other North Face product is a jacket. My wife picked it up for me at a used clothing chain - it was $30 (retailed for at least $150) but had obviously never been worn. It was probably purchased by some label-obsessed moron who then decided it was 'out of style' because s/he was terrified that some other fashion-obsessed moron would deem it un-cool.

Moron's loss, my gain.
I guess I'm a fashion obsessed moron whose jacket that could have been. I remember paying 180 for mine. And while a nice jacket, it felt odd walking down the street with 10 other people wearing the same thing. I was also determined to save and invest 10k so I started selling a lot of my name brand logo clothing on ebay. I remember even used it going for like 130 bucks if not 140 dollars and that must have like 2003

I remember seeing the ski bubble jacket things in the 90s from north face. I don't think you can call fleece a classic since they didn't start long enough ago. Further, you do know you can get a fleece zip from old navy for like 20 bucks or whatever.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:48 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
I have several, and a couple of vests. I purchase mine at the Goodwill. Also like the pants with zip off legs.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
OP and Black_flag would probably have a psychological meltdown if they found out about my Mountain Hardware "Monkey-man" jacket that I found a few years ago at Salvation Army in almost new condition for something like $20.

Oh, the horror! The humanity!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,706 times
Dude, give it a rest. It has no effect on your lifestyle if other people want to buy name-brand clothing secondhand. People do it all the time. It's OK. I have a lightly used Alpinestar riding jacket I found on Craig Lists last year for ~$50 (goes for close to $300 brand-new) that I wear everywhere and I haven't driven a motorbike in probably 15 years, yet it's a great all-purpose spring & fall jacket.

If that's so "offensive" to you, then you probably should consider reevaluating your priorities in life.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I bought my mom a North Face jacket before she died. She and my dad died within six months of each other so we went and got whatever the family wanted from the house and then had a garage sale. The North Face didn't fit any of us, so it was in the garage sale. But I about had a heart attack when someone said "how much for the North Face?" and my sister in law said "a quarter." It had hardly been worn. If I had been thinking I would have sold it on eBay or somewhere besides a garage sale, but I'd been consumed with my parents' health and death and property and wasn't thinking about things like a North Face being sold for 25 cents.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:41 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I bought my mom a North Face jacket before she died. She and my dad died within six months of each other so we went and got whatever the family wanted from the house and then had a garage sale. The North Face didn't fit any of us, so it was in the garage sale. But I about had a heart attack when someone said "how much for the North Face?" and my sister in law said "a quarter." It had hardly been worn. If I had been thinking I would have sold it on eBay or somewhere besides a garage sale, but I'd been consumed with my parents' health and death and property and wasn't thinking about things like a North Face being sold for 25 cents.
I wouldn't have let it go for more than five dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty