Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
No, they are not owned by a French company. That is the first time I have heard that said.
Maybe that urban legend comes from Target's own "Tarjet" ads back in the 70s.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 02-01-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 11:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Also, Target has really upped its game lately with regards to trendy clothes, accessories, jewelery, etc., and the result is that it's been picked up by fashion blogs - you have a lot of bloggers actively wearing pieces from Target alongside high-end designers; of course everything always looks great on them, and blog readers go 'omg, that's from TARGET??' and run out to buy one themselves, as everyone can afford it unlike the high-end stuff.
I've been buying clothes at Target since the 80s. They have always had more on trend stuff. Now people are less surprised. It a running joke in my circle. "That's a really cute dress jade, where did you get it?" "Target." "I need to go shopping with you!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Where I am, everyone goes to both, so you see the same people...who range from unkempt to pulled together...in both.
In the Bay Area there are not many Walmarts. And they tend to be at the edge of suburbia, in the places that used to be more farm town (that includes you Mountain View, you used to be the boonies.). Most middle income Bay Area people are stridently anti-Walmart. The newer ones are in poorer neighborhoods. The one in Oleasanton, an affluent suburb, former farm town is a nice one and has different clientele than my "home" Walmarts when I lived in South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
To me when I walk into WalMart it isn't merchandised as nicely. They make their clothes look cheap and packed with too much stuff. Target focuses more on their items looking nicer.
Yup! And Target has better snacks, and now Starbucks. The newer stores even have stylish carts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Target is cleaner. I choose Target over Walmart any day!
Yup. And Target is more likely to have unique architecture to blend into the neighborhood. Check out the one in a Albany, CA. It is a cool warehouse that mixes well with the neighbors. And it has a magical cart escalator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Target store brand snacks are really good. Their fruit snacks are the best!
Lol my sister agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Oh I didn't realize they were ads too. As an 80s kid we just called it tar-jay.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
No, they are not owned by a French company. That is the first time I have heard that said.
I just did some research and discovered a French company named AXA owns 42 million shares of Target but this is less than 5% of total Target shares.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:37 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Even if Target is HQd in Minneapolis aren't they owned by a French company? If so maybe that's one of the reasons their clothes are more fashionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Target Corporation is an American company. Though I'm sure they probably do have a few French stockholders.

I think they are more fashionable just because, they are not Walmart. Walmart pretty much represents everything that is wrong with the world today.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Minnesotan here offering the mini history session (and maybe too much info?)...

Target was started in 1962 by the Dayton Department Store company. I'm not sure if the Dayton Dept. Store company had gone public or not by that point, but that company was started before the turn of the century in downtown Minneapolis by George Draper Dayton and built a solid department store empire from the ground up in Minneapolis. Eventually, the company bought out Hudson's Department stores (primarily in Michigan, I believe) and later Marshall Field's in Illinois/Chicago. They decided they wanted a discount option for their business and founded Target. Target eventually became the far more profitable part of the company and eventually the publicly traded company renamed itself the Target Corporation. Target Corporation eventually sold off the Department Store Division to Macy's. The original Dayton's Department Store in downtown Minneapolis is still standing today, though again as a Macy's Store. Target Corporation may have French stockholders, as mentioned, but was never owned by a French company. Target trades on the New York Stock Exchange (TGT).

Yes, knowing that history tells you a bit on how vested the company is in Minneapolis...

On a side note, another big sponsorship Target does that is fun...at Minnesota Wild (hockey) games in St. Paul the zamboni that comes out between periods to clean/resurface the ice is a big huge Target cart.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
I just did some research and discovered a French company named AXA owns 42 million shares of Target but this is less than 5% of total Target shares.
Thanks for researching. That is still a pretty good "chunk" of shares to own.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:42 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Walmartians think Target is owned by a French company because of the pet name "Tarjay" in spite of the fact if it were French it would be spelled Targe' and not Target.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Now part of this could be connected to Wal-Mart's famously low wages.
Weird as you say this and I think you were the only person to bring this up in the thread.

I actually read that Wal Mart has a higher average wage than Target.

Here is an article regarding wages:

Why Aren't Target Employees Striking Like Their Cousins At Wal-Mart?

Old 02-01-2014, 01:37 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
I am a shopper of just a few places so Nordstroms, REI, Gap Kids, Target. Target has designer lines that are sold exclusively sold at Target. I have Orla Kiely's tumblers, plates and other kitchen pieces she did for Target in 2009. These pieces are coveted by collectors of OK and on eBay I could sell for three times the prices I paid. I love my stuff though and am not selling. I am just saying... Target does great designer collaborations and they design "cute stuff "... things I don't NEED but end up in my cart. I also find great stuff at IKEA down the road in Portland, OR.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Walmartians think Target is owned by a French company because of the pet name "Tarjay" in spite of the fact if it were French it would be spelled Targe' and not Target.
Leave it to you, I was going to say all the ghetto fab people I ever heard talk about the store called it, it Trage', which I was going to spell it Tarje' though. I've always found their clothing to be of sub par quality, but I don't know, seems a lot of people think like the clothing as per this thread.

Walmart nor Target are places I think of shopping for fashionable clothing, but if I'm looking for a deal on paper goods, and grocery, which ever has the best deal works for me. In my area you will same people shop at both places. From the whole food, trader joe customers to the Dillard's customers. Not a big deal around these parts, except for a minute number of people. There was a time, I had no idea what a Walmart was, think I late 30's when I first stepped foot in one, some worse than others, but the ones over here not so bad and not butt crack views.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Weird as you say this and I think you were the only person to bring this up in the thread.

I actually read that Wal Mart has a higher average wage than Target.

Here is an article regarding wages:

Why Aren't Target Employees Striking Like Their Cousins At Wal-Mart?
The wages cited in the article are nominal, I wouldn't jump ship for .50 cents on the hour. However if Wal-Mart were paying Costco wages, that would be a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty