Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,297,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I have to go big in tops due to my big boobs. I am smaller in bottoms. Example: right now, I'm a size 10 in jeans (working back into an 8, where I am fully comfy because I don't like being too thin as a 46yo... makes my face look older).

But, in some tops, despite being shorter, I have to go for the L or XL... I don't like them too tight... my chest is the first thing a person sees. I had to buy a size 16 in a dress shirt the other day... just for the boobs. I could wear the 12 and the 14 just fine but the buttons were straining ACROSS THE CHEST ONLY.

yeah... I need a tailor.
A tailor might be able to help, but it's very hard to take a garment that's made for a size 16 and adjust it down to a size 10 with a full bust adjustment. It's like a total recut of the garment.

I love sewing, and I'm thinking seriously about getting back into garment sewing because I'm tired of nothing fitting right because of my bust. Not a fan of garment sewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,959,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
On other thread on here and my polo thread got me thinking. My mom had a very large friend. She must have been close to 400lbs and 6'0. This woman hard time getting a date. We lived (still live) in NJ. She said she went someone in the south and a lot of men were hating on her. Would you date a plus size person? Where do you live? Also, does your state "accept" a plus size people?

I live in NJ, and I don't think big people are accepted. I would date a plus size guy if he was nice and we got along.
Your moms friend is morbidly obese. If she let herself get that large, its very likely there are other aspects of her personality that are 'out of control'. There are few cases where severe weight gain is brought on by some ailment, but for the most part its a matter of self discipline and control. (I'm not saying she needs to be 120 lbs, but under 250 isn't unreasonable). Its not just the South. People tend not to be accepting of those who are out of control with their lives. Unless one is attracted (dare I say fetish) to grossly overweight people, they won't want to date them.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
We're getting to a point in America where people are not only obese but morbidly and quite a common site and those people who are obese feels normal because we have businesses that caters to their size. An obese person used to have problems finding clothes but now you got shops that sells Plus sizes and many obese women shop at Maternity clothing shops. It's becoming acceptable to be overweight and have less shame.

In my mind, if I have problems fitting in my current clothing I would start to worry and try to get my weight down. Apparently a lot of people don't seem to care.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,235,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
We're getting to a point in America where people are not only obese but morbidly and quite a common site and those people who are obese feels normal because we have businesses that caters to their size. An obese person used to have problems finding clothes but now you got shops that sells Plus sizes and many obese women shop at Maternity clothing shops. It's becoming acceptable to be overweight and have less shame.

In my mind, if I have problems fitting in my current clothing I would start to worry and try to get my weight down. Apparently a lot of people don't seem to care.
For me, large is where I'm happy at. If I have to buy XL, there definitely is a problem. There is no need for me to be an XL size, although one could argue there's no need to be a L but I prefer to be bigger than the average male as I like to workout.

The fashion industry is fooling a lot of people by making their vanity sizing. On average we are slowing gaining weight beyond the healthy norm. I wouldn't doubt some of the population that is buying these 'vanity' sized clothes are in denial of their weight gain.

Vanity sizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Well, anyone over a size 16 is unhealthy. You can't convince me. Technically (in some stores), a 12 is plus size; which to me isn't true. We shouldn't accept plus sizes (even though I am one) because it promotes that it's okay to be fat, which is not true.

And being morbidly obese is a whole other story. I think once one person reaches class II obesity, then that's where the line should be drawn.
Not exactly. I hover around 14-16, and my health numbers are great...other than my annoying hypothyroidism that impacts weight and energy. There is no "one size is healthy" and one size is not. It is very individual.

Waist size (and waist hip ratio) is a better indicator of health than anything else. If a woman has a waist over 35ish..... it tends to lead to poor health outcomes. If a woman is apple shaped, that leads to poorer health outcomes, than someone who carries their weight in their butt/hips with a smaller waist.
Are You Carrying Dangerous Fat Around Your Midsection?

The most important thing for health outcomes is eating well, staying active, and reducing your belly fat. That can happen at any clothing size.

** I have 90+ relatives that hovered around 16 for much of their adult lives....obviously it wasn't a huge issue.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,913,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

There have been stores that sold plus size clothes for many years, it's nothing new. Even Walmart and Kmart have plus size clothes and have for as long as I can remember. Regular maternity clothes don't usually fit plus-sized women because it's not just the belly that gets bigger, you get bigger boobs, bigger butt, bigger thighs, bigger arms, etc. They do make plus-sized maternity clothes but they are expensive and hard to find.

People who wear sizes bigger than can be found in stores have always ordered from catalogs.

The idea that we shouldn't have plus size stores is laughable...would you really want all of us fatties running around in the buff until we got down to a size that society deemed acceptable?

Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
When I gained significant weight, none of my close friends said anything about my weight. It was all the acquaintances and co-workers who said some really hurtful things, like 'why did I get so fat', 'are you wearing a maternity shirt', 'what happened to you, you got a tummy'. At the moment I didn't appreciate them but in the long run I really needed that push. Sure they went overboard but I rather hear spiteful comments than nothing at all.

Just last December my doctor told me I had high blood sugar and told me to drop some weight/change my diet otherwise i'd be taking meds. I am a very fit guy but all those extra pounds on me is not doing anything beneficial for me, just putting more stress on my joints and making my body work harder than it has too. I don't want to be those people who have to take meds for the rest of my life, nor do I want younger people than me believing all that extra weight/bad diet won't catch up to you.
Well, maybe you needed that push, but you cannot know if another person who is overweight doesn't already know it and isn't trying to change... hearing those sorts of things from friends... coworkers, whatever... that could be hurtful.

I think it's best to keep one's mouth shut, really. Unless that person is a very close friend or family member, it's not not anyone's business.

I'm all for trying to encourage healthy habits by modeling them... but, ridiculing folks isn't helpful in most cases.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
A tailor might be able to help, but it's very hard to take a garment that's made for a size 16 and adjust it down to a size 10 with a full bust adjustment. It's like a total recut of the garment.

I love sewing, and I'm thinking seriously about getting back into garment sewing because I'm tired of nothing fitting right because of my bust. Not a fan of garment sewing.

Same here... I just tend to shy away from fitted tops and stick to stretchy ones... just to avoid sewing or paying tailors.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not exactly. I hover around 14-16, and my health numbers are great...other than my annoying hypothyroidism that impacts weight and energy. There is no "one size is healthy" and one size is not. It is very individual.

Waist size (and waist hip ratio) is a better indicator of health than anything else. If a woman has a waist over 35ish..... it tends to lead to poor health outcomes. If a woman is apple shaped, that leads to poorer health outcomes, than someone who carries their weight in their butt/hips with a smaller waist.
Are You Carrying Dangerous Fat Around Your Midsection?

The most important thing for health outcomes is eating well, staying active, and reducing your belly fat. That can happen at any clothing size.

** I have 90+ relatives that hovered around 16 for much of their adult lives....obviously it wasn't a huge issue.
Quit true about the waist-hip ratio. It's what I was talking about earlier... I only worry about my weight when my ratio gets too far off or I start to weigh more than I feel comfy weighing, of course.

I have wide hip bones, so even if I am a bit over my fighting weight, I usually can keep that ratio good.

Not every woman can do this. It's kinda funny because a woman that "looks" like she's heavy might have a far better ratio than one who is thinner "looking."

Which is why it's not easy to go on appearances alone except in the most dramatic cases.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,755,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
There have been stores that sold plus size clothes for many years, it's nothing new. Even Walmart and Kmart have plus size clothes and have for as long as I can remember. Regular maternity clothes don't usually fit plus-sized women because it's not just the belly that gets bigger, you get bigger boobs, bigger butt, bigger thighs, bigger arms, etc. They do make plus-sized maternity clothes but they are expensive and hard to find.

People who wear sizes bigger than can be found in stores have always ordered from catalogs.

The idea that we shouldn't have plus size stores is laughable...would you really want all of us fatties running around in the buff until we got down to a size that society deemed acceptable?
The point is that plus sizes are now mainstream, it used to be 1-2 stores per mall has plus sizes but now it's basically every store has plus size selection and it is acceptance that there are a lot of big people out there.

It maybe socially acceptable but not a healthy trend.

Imagine sitting in a train or bus next to a plus size person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty