Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Well, maybe you needed that push, but you cannot know if another person who is overweight doesn't already know it and isn't trying to change... hearing those sorts of things from friends... coworkers, whatever... that could be hurtful.

I think it's best to keep one's mouth shut, really. Unless that person is a very close friend or family member, it's not not anyone's business.

I'm all for trying to encourage healthy habits by modeling them... but, ridiculing folks isn't helpful in most cases.
I agree...it's like smoking or alcoholism or any other addiction - I believe that in most cases obesity is caused by food addiction, pure and simple. With a side serving of poor lifestyle choices and ignorance.

Folks who are overweight or obese know all too well how bad it is for them. So being mean or attempting to shame them really doesn't work. Trust me, they know. I was a long-term heavy smoker (now quit, finally) and there wasn't a single risk you could have told me that I didn't already know much better than you non-nicotine addicts.

Even with the obese and disabled couple I know who are probably my closest friends in the world, I've never said a word. I don't have to. They are smart people and very well aware that their lifestyle and choices and addiction to food and nicotine have disabled them and are killing them. Apart from saying "I care about you guys and I'm here to help with whatever" there isn't anything to say, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The point is that plus sizes are now mainstream, it used to be 1-2 stores per mall has plus sizes but now it's basically every store has plus size selection and it is acceptance that there are a lot of big people out there.
So what's your solution? Even if every fat person in America decided to lose weight today, it's not going to be instantaneous, so they're what, supposed to wear garbage bags until they get down to "acceptable" sizes?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,214,087 times
Quote:
We're getting to a point in America where people are not only obese but morbidly and quite a common site and those people who are obese feels normal because we have businesses that caters to their size. An obese person used to have problems finding clothes but now you got shops that sells Plus sizes and many obese women shop at Maternity clothing shops. It's becoming acceptable to be overweight and have less shame.

In my mind, if I have problems fitting in my current clothing I would start to worry and try to get my weight down. Apparently a lot of people don't seem to care.
So by that metric, size L and higher should be phased out for men . Get me down to 150 lb, under 5'9" and I would agree with you. Sorry, there is NO WAY I would fit into a size M shirt without losing another 35 lb and decreasing my height by 3-4". You need to genetically mutilate me to achieve this.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:19 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So by that metric, size L and higher should be phased out for men . Get me down to 150 lb, under 5'9" and I would agree with you. Sorry, there is NO WAY I would fit into a size M shirt without losing another 35 lb and decreasing my height by 3-4". You need to genetically mutilate me to achieve this.
For the record, I've seen the photos you've posted of yourself Adi and you are nowhere NEAR obese.

A little bit overweight perhaps but certainly not "plus-sized" or fat.

As for sizes, they can be wacky and not a reliable metric. I'm skinny and my BMI is about 20% and I wear a size small, or 4-6-8 below the waist. But as others have said, I have big boobs and wide shoulders so I'm a large or 12-14 from the waist up! Sizing alone is not a good measure, and nor is BMI.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

The idea that we shouldn't have plus size stores is laughable...would you really want all of us fatties running around in the buff until we got down to a size that society deemed acceptable?
You know...I think I'd enjoy that!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So what's your solution? Even if every fat person in America decided to lose weight today, it's not going to be instantaneous, so they're what, supposed to wear garbage bags until they get down to "acceptable" sizes?
Oh come on, you know you are just supposed to stay home. Out of sight/out of mind until you are a socially acceptable weight. Heaven forbid the "normal" people have to look at the "fat" people.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I'm someone who's been on both sides of the fence; to me, "acceptance" means being treated like a human being. Don't ignore me, don't snicker at me, don't roll your eyes at me, and don't ASSume anything about me, my health status, or my fitness level.

The only thing one can deduce by looking at an overweight person is that he or she is overweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Fat just may be the last "safe" person to hate.
You got that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I don't think we should welcome fat acceptance or plus size at all.
What would you prefer? Public stoning? Plus size colonies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is an old cliche. No one hates fat people by talking about fat acceptance or dating fat people.
You don't read these forums often, do you?

Quote:
All this talk about fat acceptance, and "normalizing" obesity? It only makes it worse, because it reinforces the idea that people can just choose one day to quit being obese, push away the plate, and let the pounds fall off. For most people, it's not that easy.
If it were, no one would be overweight. And, as you mentioned, you can't quit eating like you can quit smoking or quit drinking.

Quote:
But the people who are obese need to be treated like human beings...being fat doesn't make you stupid or lazy. Medical professionals especially need to learn how to talk to obese patients without treating them like idiots.
Underscore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am fat which automatically makes women assume I am physically unfit. LOL. I just lifted 70 lb suitcases in each hand while moving houses today, and this was while walking on ice BAREFOOT without a jacket on.
That may make you mentally unfit, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Well, anyone over a size 16 is unhealthy.
Prove it.

Quote:
And being morbidly obese is a whole other story. I think once one person reaches class II obesity, then that's where the line should be drawn.
Line? What line? What happens when you cross it? What does it signify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Every person, regardless of their size, is entitled to be treated with kindness and respect and their worth as a person should not be based on their weight.
Quote:
Still, if I were single, I would probably not date an overweight man. I spend lots of time and energy staying in shape because it helps me feel good and keeps me able to do physical things. I want my partner to be able to do the same things.
What if he could? What would you think then? Isn't this a contradiction with your statement above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
DON'T BE MEAN TO OVERWEIGHT AND/OR OBESE PEOPLE FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER. IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A DAMNED HATEFUL JERK.
I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Your moms friend is morbidly obese. If she let herself get that large, its very likely there are other aspects of her personality that are 'out of control'. There are few cases where severe weight gain is brought on by some ailment, but for the most part its a matter of self discipline and control.
Incorrect, unless you believe depression is not an ailment. Whether they've been diagnosed or not, depression plays a big hand in eating and exercise habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not exactly. I hover around 14-16, and my health numbers are great
I wear anything from a 12 to an 18, and while I still could stand to lose another 10 to 15 pounds (I've kept 140 pounds off for the past 11 years), it's probably not going to happen unless I quit eating altogether. My blood pressure and blood chemistry are great, I've walked half-marathons, and I exercise daily. I feel great and probably could kick the butts of half the people who would call me fat.

Quote:
The idea that we shouldn't have plus size stores is laughable...would you really want all of us fatties running around in the buff until we got down to a size that society deemed acceptable?
Seriously. Although that might prompt more and better plus-sized fashions.

Quote:
The point is that plus sizes are now mainstream, it used to be 1-2 stores per mall has plus sizes but now it's basically every store has plus size selection and it is acceptance that there are a lot of big people out there.
What on earth are you talking about? As has been pointed out, many stores always have sold larger sized clothing. It's not acceptance, it's reality.

Quote:
Imagine sitting in a train or bus next to a plus size person?
Better that than an ignorant one.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:

It maybe socially acceptable but not a healthy trend.

Imagine sitting in a train or bus next to a plus size person?
I've done it. Well, it was a flight, actually. And guess what: I lived to tell about it! She didn't fall asleep on my shoulder, crowd me out or eat me for a snack halfway through the flight. She did smell pleasant and made polite conversation. But it doesn't stop there! I've also slept next to plus size women in bed! And guess what? I always live to tell about it, even enjoy it. I'd do it again. In fact, I'm going to do it tonight!

Sorry man, your fat-phobia is irrational. Most people who are legitimately concerned about the health aspect of it are not making arguments about public transportation. I think you're doing yourself a disservice. I think you should come out and say you don't like fat people because of the way they look and be done with it.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
If I were single, no, I wouldn't date a plus size woman. I'm very active. Run quite a bit, and also do a lot, an awful lot, of hiking, backpacking and mountain climbing. Need someone who can keep up with me. I'd assume the lifestyle of such a woman would be nearly a 180 of mine.

There's some plus sized people here, but not a lot. We are one of the more in-shape states. As far as acceptance of them, I can't say. I don't personally know any plus sized people.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm someone who's been on both sides of the fence; to me, "acceptance" means being treated like a human being. Don't ignore me, don't snicker at me, don't roll your eyes at me, and don't ASSume anything about me, my health status, or my fitness level.

The only thing one can deduce by looking at an overweight person is that he or she is overweight.

I wear anything from a 12 to an 18, and while I still could stand to lose another 10 to 15 pounds (I've kept 140 pounds off for the past 11 years), it's probably not going to happen unless I quit eating altogether. My blood pressure and blood chemistry are great, I've walked half-marathons, and I exercise daily. I feel great and probably could kick the butts of half the people who would call me fat.
Apparently "plus-sized" people only sit on the couch eating cheetos all day. No way you can be active and be plus-sized. Or eat healthy and be plus-sized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty