Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:54 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times

Advertisements

If like me you dont trust hairdressers to cut your hair, I wondered about how many actually cut their own hair.... I have had so many bad cuts that left me disheartened and angry , its as if they dont listen and just chop away taking far too much off and not the style I asked for... I know I have strange wavy hair but I explain this to the hairdresser and that it curls very easily and has to be cut at a longer length than with straight hair........do they listen? not a bit... I would love to find just one hairdresser who I could trust..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
At one time, I cut my own hair, but it was NOT because I had trust issues. I just did not want to take the time and money to go to a salon.

I go to a wonderful lady who knows me and my wavy hair, and I love the cuts she gives me.

You should not have to explain your hair... they should be able to see that it curls easily!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 AM

Very true , they should know by looking... Im beginning to think they just dont care... luckily my granddaughter is training at the moment in a lovely salon in the centre of town, and starts learning to cut quite soon... so maybe she will understand and listen.. heres hoping..

Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,728 times
I've been cutting my own hair for years. Trust issues, cheapness, convenience, are my reasons. I've got thick wavy hair and I cut it in a medium length layered style.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
I invested in a pair of clippers and just buzz it down every so often. Pays for itself after years of paying barbers.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:07 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
My friend Joe had this to say on the subject:

"I hate going to get my hair cut. I wish I could take my head off and sit it on a table in front of me so I could cut it myself. Of course, I still wouldn't be able to SEE what I was doing."

Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
My friend Joe had this to say on the subject:

"I hate going to get my hair cut. I wish I could take my head off and sit it on a table in front of me so I could cut it myself. Of course, I still wouldn't be able to SEE what I was doing."
thats brillian, you know I said that to my hubby, I wish I could get round the back of my head to cut it.... your idea even better, I think... oh Im sorry for laughing here but check out how he sees the back of his head hahahaha. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...9F2843EF5F4A9A

Old 02-17-2014, 07:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
The reasons I cut my hair instead of going to a salon:

Cost
Poor quality of cut

Having very fine hair, if not cut correctly the results are numerous chop lines. Plus I have a natural v-style nape area and if not properly cut the hair will stick out at odd angles.

Have been to chop shops, medium cost shops, and a so-called master stylist: all gave terrible service/cuts.

I have described my type of hair and it's quirks to all, and they pretend to listen; however, once the cutting commences they start chatting away nonstop and their focus on what they're doing goes out the window.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:05 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Been cutting my own for decades. I have had so many bad haircuts at salons in my younger years that I can't even say! My hair if straight, fine and not very thick. I keep a simple shoulder length style with bangs and it is very easy to cut myself. I get the cut I want and don't have to pay a dime!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
I have thick, wavy hair and in all my years have only found one person would could cut it the way I liked.

We moved away and spent three years and I can't tell you how much money trying to get a decent cut again. Finally, gave up and bought a pair of thinning sheers and do it myself.

I would rather go in, sit down, pay the money, and come out happy. Lot less trouble and effort.

But I've grown weary of explaining that I have thick, wavy hair and I like it cut this way and they agree and then do whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty