Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,372,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
How in the creation of the world is not wearing briefs not hygienic or unsanitary?

Are you aware the cleanest thing in a public restroom is yourself? If you touch nothing but yourself you are better off not washing your hands.
People seem to overestimate how clean they actually are, especially when they're not fresh out of the shower. I read somewhere that many men don't wash their hands after number 1 because they insist that they haven't touched anything "dirty." When we're talking about the area underwear covers, you've got normal skin bacteria, dead skin cells, musky sweat, urine traces, fecal bacteria, women will have normal vaginal discharge, etc. You just have to decide if you want that all directly on your clothes (especially if you're going to wear those pants more than once.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,792,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
For those who don't know ... "going commando" is a slang term for not wearing any underwear under your clothes.

Here at C-D there are folks of every opinion, pursuasion, and lifestyle; therefore I will ask the question: do you ever "go commando"? What is your reason? What are the benefits? Perhaps you tried it and you'll never do it again? Do you consider it sexy?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Do I go commando? Sometimes, but only at home. Why? Because sometimes I can't find any clean underwear. (I know, TMI.)

I don't know if there are any benefits, other than perhaps less fiction between one's skin and one's clothes.

I don't think that I consider it to be that sexy. That said, let me think this question over more.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
My other opinion? If you are going to wear a pair of pants once, going commando doesn't matter as much. But if you're going to wear those pants, hang them up and wear again.... wear underwear. It allows you to wear the same pants for a few wears.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:44 PM

12,842 posts, read 867,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People seem to overestimate how clean they actually are, especially when they're not fresh out of the shower. I read somewhere that many men don't wash their hands after number 1 because they insist that they haven't touched anything "dirty." When we're talking about the area underwear covers, you've got normal skin bacteria, dead skin cells, musky sweat, urine traces, fecal bacteria, women will have normal vaginal discharge, etc. You just have to decide if you want that all directly on your clothes (especially if you're going to wear those pants more than once.)
You provided the best answer!! I often wondered what makes some women think they DON'T have normal vaginal discharge. Once they learn more about their bodies, where do they think is goes when they go without underpants?? I can figure that one out...duh.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I know where the term originated. While I agree that the term is stupid in modern society, the original purpose isn't.

When on extended military operations in jungle environments such as Southeast Asia, wearing underwear or socks generally causes raging fungus infections and other serious disorders in the covered areas. The hot, wet & humid climate combined with the extra layer -- almost always cotton, which retains moisture like crazy -- in constant, direct contact with the skin creates ideal growth conditions.

Therefore the special forces, aka "Commandoes", of the US, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, and etc. (e.g. Army Green Berets & Rangers, Navy SEALs, Marine Force Recon and Scout-Snipers, and others), generally wear neither underwear nor socks while on their missions in hot/wet/humid environments. They aren't 'being cool' -- they're just trying to stay reasonably healthy.
Thank you for the explanation. I agree with you.

Believe it or not, some misinformed people believe the term has something to do with defecating in your pants ... which is not the case at all.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Anyone who think underwear provides some sort of hygienic function should be forced to go back to health class.

Bio 101, bacteria prefer damp warm places, underwear promote a bacteria favoring environment.

Now, underwear is frequently more comfortable, especially in jeans but it is certainly not MORE HYGIENIC.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:39 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Anyone who think underwear provides some sort of hygienic function should be forced to go back to health class.

Bio 101, bacteria prefer damp warm places, underwear promote a bacteria favoring environment.

Now, underwear is frequently more comfortable, especially in jeans but it is certainly not MORE HYGIENIC.
True, and thats perhaps why the doctor requested me to avoid wearing undergarments during my measles period as a young child. But unless there is a health or major skin issue with my body, I will continue to wear undergarments, and just remember to wash them regularly to minimize the possibility of infection sites .

Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

I think that when a person is using the word "hygienic" my guess is that they are not referring to an actual health benefit but rather an issue of cleanliness. One of the functions of underwear (at least with us guys) is to prevent any traces of body fluids or soiling to mar our outer clothes.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think that when a person is using the word "hygienic" my guess is that they are not referring to an actual health benefit but rather an issue of cleanliness. One of the functions of underwear (at least with us guys) is to prevent any traces of body fluids or soiling to mar our outer clothes.
You are likely correct with regard to women as well but the reality is the dirtiest clothing in the world is underwear, it literally has millions of e.coli bacteria on it. Additionally, many people, especially women, have very delicate underwear that they do not like to wash in hot water, which means that the bacteria are not being killed. Meanwhile, jeans, shorts, and other "sturdier" clothes can stand up to being put in hot water, and frequently are washed on hot.

So really, even going commando is "cleaner" for many people.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,203,785 times
OK, this thread is little deja vu for me . In Kerala and Tamil Nadu, we would call people who dont wear proper underpants as "Komanam". Back in the traditional days, it was the accepted way of dressing up for steamy tropical conditions. But the same thing in South India today is used as a word of insult and public mockery .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty