Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

This thread jumped the shark.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSaySheSay View Post
My whole point is that Black women don't all look alike.
We come in may shades with many hair textures.
I love Lupita because she represents a beauty that is often overlooked in mainstream media.
In my area.. only about 65% of the Black women wear weaves and not even all the time.
I get tired of people "complimenting" me by saying I don't look like or my children don't look like the average Black woman.

But everyone takes issue with Black women wearing weaves but skips the fact that its hard to find a non-black woman with her natural face, skin tone, or body parts. Why is it such a problem when black women alter their hair but not when non-black women permanently alters their body?
So very true.

And the vast majority of non-black women in the entertainment industry also wear weaves (or extensions as they like to say). And never a word is uttered about that fact.

All of the Kardashians, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Pamela Anderson, Blake Lively, Jennifer Lopez, Lindsay Lohan...and practically everyone else you could name. Yet you never see the two or three specific individuals who are on this thread mentioning non-black female celebs and their hair weaves. No, never that. Nope, must maintain the mystique of white beauty while tearing black women down.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:38 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Yes,like you guys tear down overweight black women.

You even called them "mammies" which was OUT of line.

Just because isn't skinny doesn t make them a mammy.

Btw,I'm pretty sure Gabby Sidebe is making more than you and Lupita.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSaySheSay View Post
oh... okay let me rephrase myself and then you can answer the question.

Why isn't it okay for black women to wear STRAIGHT weaves but it's OKAY for you to get major plastic surgery?
I ain't sure,but I just thought kinky curly would look more believable.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes,like you guys tear down overweight black women.

You even called them "mammies" which was OUT of line.

Just because isn't skinny doesn t make them a mammy.

Btw,I'm pretty sure Gabby Sidebe is making more than you and Lupita.
I will believe that you are genuine when you start advocating for Melissa McCarthy and Lena Dunham to be the representatives of white beauty over Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts and Kate Hudson.

I'll wait...

Old 03-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I will believe that you are genuine when you start advocating for Melissa McCarthy and Lena Dunham to be the representatives of white beauty over Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts and Kate Hudson.

I'll wait...
Don't care,I ain't white.

Come on,some thick Bria Myles type girl took your man?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:44 PM

286 posts, read 450,342 times
Quote:
What's wrong with her straight weave?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:45 PM

So,in order for a dark skinned woman to make it in Hollywood,she must be thin.

Gotcha.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
But just exactly who appointed you the hair police for black women? You obviously (and erroneously) believe that your opinion is a factor in how black women decide to style our hair. I mean that is just as ridiculous as telling the majority of white women who bleach their hair blonde that YOU do not like the way that color and style their hair...so they should stay mousy brown.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:48 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
People complain about Halle Berry and how she doesn't represent black women,yet you guys are posting these pics of women with hair that doesn't represent a majority of black women,as if to prove the point that some black women can have "acceptable hair".

Also,great pics of kinky curly weaves!
Could you point out which ones are weaves in the pics and which aren't. I honestly don't think you have a hate for black women, but you do seem to have some anger toward us about how we groom for some reason.

There are so many types of black hair, but for some reason you seem to only be acquainted with what you believe is the only one type of black hair in existence. I can tell you, but, I realize you won't believe it, when I get out of the shower, my natural hair looks very much like the hair shown in those videos and pics and I'm as black as they come, ok black enough. Long ago, I had at least two stylist ask why am I weaving up my hair when it was already long. At various times it was either I didn't want to get another perm or I was going on vacation and just didn't want the hair fuss. As I've said, I hate doing my hair, I'm like the Dina Carols, Diana Ross' Gabors and Dolly Pardon's of the when it comes to wigs, we love our hair pieces and you can't take them away. Period. At my older age, I'm much more content to wig it up or do up braids at this point. texture smexture. Not an obsession as it seems to be with some.

I think the real problem with others may be that they see women getting attention and get a bit jealous, so they look for ways to degrade those women be it about hair, butt size or whatever it is they think they can use to put them in their place make them feel insecure all the while projecting their own insecurities onto that group because they don't feel so great about themself. I mean really, can someone be that upset about how someone else wears their hair for no reason other than they just don't like the person putting some product in their hair. And length, come on almost every non-black woman in entertainment or for whatever reason in general has extensions of some sort in their hair no big deal.

Lupita is lovely, and representative of some black women for sure, I'm not certain what the big deal is that she must or must not be seen as representative of all. There isn't any one black look that I know of as there isn't any one look of any other group of people though people have tried for years to make it so. Remember the all American look, what a joke that has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty