Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

[quote=vision33r;34123166]I have no problem seeing a confident attractive woman in good looking clothing it's the little things they do that bothers me. Such as constantly checking themselves out, non-stop fixing of the hair or using their iphones as a mirror.
quote]

that sounds like the crowd up to 25 years old. That's their insecurity and trying to fit-in-phase speaking IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
This has been very interesting so far, I think women are very complex individuals, far more complex than men in my opinion, that is why I started this thread and a lot of my threads ask questions that require more than just a simple yes or no answer because women can certainly give a complex answer and are very open to express their thoughts especially if it is something that they can relate to. The way their phsycological mechanism operates is incredible. Let's keep going ladies this is getting good.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Women are no different than men. They dress according to the objective and goal. The woman (like the man) who is on the hunt for a partner isn't dressing for other women unless it involves a homosexual.

Woman in general seem to be more cognizant of their appearance and somewhere along the line, someone said they dressed for other women. It was a convenient thing to say and sure accounted for more than a few excuses when women wanted to show off to attract men. The married women who is dressing to the nines ain't dressing for other women and if you believe that you are probably a man who remains clueless to reality.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times
Hmmm...in general,I dress for myself according to what's comfortable and what I think looks good. Having said that, when my hubby and I go out, I like to put on something flirty/sexy and sometimes something a bit more risqué. I won't say that it's just for other women, but I get a charge out of the eyerolls that I sometimes get because I have a figure that can pull off certain looks that most women who aren't fit, can't. So yeah, it's fun to watch them get irritated at their hubby or significant other for gawking a bit more than he should,

Old 04-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Hmmm...in general,I dress for myself according to what's comfortable and what I think looks good. Having said that, when my hubby and I go out, I like to put on something flirty/sexy and sometimes something a bit more risqué. I won't say that it's just for other women, but I get a charge out of the eyerolls that I sometimes get because I have a figure that can pull off certain looks that most women who aren't fit, can't. So yeah, it's fun to watch them get irritated at their hubby or significant other for gawking a bit more than he should,
Aha, we are starting to see some light here. I like this, you sound like a cool lady. I think there is a little devil here

Old 04-02-2014, 02:44 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
The notion that people "don't care about what others think" is laughable. Some care more or less than others, but the fact is that clothes are decorations that we put on our body that protect us from the elements. Caring about what others think doesn't automatically equal "I want to impress a potential mate".

That said, my thoughts on the OP: In my experience, I've found that for the people who will admit to having at least a modicum of concern for how others view them....men dress to impress, women dress to avoid judgment.

A guy may wear a particular set of clothes because he's trying to impress a woman, or to enhance how he's perceived in a particular environment. A woman might dress in such a way to avoid being criticized or made fun of. Since (again, in my experience only) women and gay men do more of the judging/criticizing on clothes, it would lend to the perception that "women dress for other women (and gay men)", because they're dressing to avoid negative critique.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:17 PM

262 posts, read 547,031 times
Honestly, yes.

I, and plenty of other women, have the old "must be prettiest girl in the room" mentality. Is it healthy? No. But dammit it feels good to be in a room and you're dressed better than all the other broads.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:19 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
Honestly, yes.

I, and plenty of other women, have the old "must be prettiest girl in the room" mentality. Is it healthy? No. But dammit it feels good to be in a room and you're dressed better than all the other broads.
This^^

The spirit of competition is and always will be alive in the female species. We thrive on it. LOL

Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
This^^

The spirit of competition is and always will be alive in the female species. We thrive on it. LOL
This is very interesting because, from a man's point of view it is kind of intriguing to see why this happens, I always found it odd because as a man my natural tendecy is to dress well for the ladies and not be concerned at all about my own gender's opinion because if women are what I am interested in then why should I.care about what my own gender thinks but after reading some of these replies if gives me a very unique insight of women's world.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
From my observations, especially observing my daughter growing up, I think women's dress motivations are far more complex than that, and definitely nuanced according to the situation.

A woman going out on a night on the town with hubby may dress differently than she did when he was just her boyfriend. And that may be different from the way she dresses when out with girlfriends. And her dress when she was out with girlfriends while married is probably different from her dress when out with girlfriends while still single.

It may be a matter of the venue and which other women will be there--is it a social setting in which the woman is comfortable of her "position" or worried about it?

A percentage of her motivation might be the reaction of other women. It may also be motivated the reaction of her man, and that motivation might be a factor of how she thinks her man wants to present her as "his" woman.

Sometimes it adds up to a little skanky, sometimes it adds up to very classy. But from what I can see, women are 'way too nuanced in their dress motivations to make a single broad statement like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty