Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:26 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Because not many males are teaching boys to be men because Times are changing. Can't teach whatca don't know. Just listen to the music of today and the way people dance. Today it's grinding when dancing close when it used to be slow and romantic for generations.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=7wRHBLwpASw
That video is cool because the chicks are young and hot starlets. Promise me babes will dress like that when out and about on a regular basis and I guarantee you will see more young men in suits. It costs a lot of money to adhere to that dress code and there is no call for it in these times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
To go out in a well made suit one gets better tables, more courtesy, and gets asked for directions or the time more often. Women perceive you as having a salaried job, your own place to live, maintaining basic body hygiene, and being straight.

Certain body flaws (i.e. narrow shoulders, short torso, big behind) can be much better camouflaged by a well tailored suit than jeans or shorts. A man appears taller, more important in a suit. A face that may appear creepy in casual wear, has 'character' in a well done suit ( think Christopher Walken, John Malkovich, 'Reservoir Dogs' ). It takes a lot of social energy to fight uphill when dressed too casual. It is much easier to talk yourself down to a casual level when dressed authoritative.

Good ( not cheap, ill fitting) suits mean easier sex. More power. Faster results. It doesn't guarantee it though.
So a suit is simply to fool women into sleeping with a man? Oh and I hate to break it to you but gay men wear suits too.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:44 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
also wearing a suit,, makes you look like someone that would rather look neater than get his hands dirty-depending on the job/environment- you can actually lose respect wearing a suit
Unless you're the person whose hands should not get dirty. That's why Duluth Trading makes their "Presentation Jacket" for the contractor who goes from the job site to the board room every day.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
I also believe that you have to have a certain type of body to look good in a suit---tall and slim. If you're short, very athletic and muscular, or have some extra pounds on you, you're never going to look like those dudes in the fashion magazines. I don't think that most men care about that look either...unless you're a suit fetishist or a Mad Men fan. A simple dinner jacket works in more upscale restaurants. That formal 'suited' look seems most appropriate for big shot Wall Streeters.
Is the discussion between wearing a full suit or merely wearing a blazer/sports coat?

Throwing on a blazer or sports coat immensely improves the appearance of a man who is less than ideal in shape.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
For the same reason women don't wear FOR gowns mostly;not practical for most very day situations.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
When I was working for IBM, field service techs had a business formal dress code. This means you did indeed see a man (I never saw a female FST) in a suit (usually he took off the jacket at least) stripping down a nasty dusty server under a desk.
i

I worked for a compan where we had IBm service reps. you could always tell since there was such a strict dress code. The company was a bank and the rules were that a woman in programming or management wore a suit. A keypuncer or secreatary didn't. Men in management or programmin always wore suts, as did those on OPerations. The ones who scheped printouts didn't. It was a uniform to tell people who you were.

I have to admit that even though it was the only time in my life I wore a suit all the time it did give a certain feeling. And when I gave them away I knew that time period was over.

The one group who did not like the rule were the operations people. They had to tear down tape drives, (yeah, 80's) and it was dirty work. often the ops manager wouls schedule that for after closing or weekends when bank people who cared would not be around.

But remember, for over a century the respectable man wore a suit, not just to work or church or out to dinner but in trips to town, taking walks, and just 'relaxing at home'. Men labored in suits too, worn out ones saved for that use. But they were expensive and worn until they were cut down to fit a son or give for work wear. That is why houses of that time have small closets. People had a few of the things they needed and used them until they were worn.

Even in the fifties, i remember dad wore a suit when we did anytning offical, even family dinner at the bbq place.

Wbat's changed is the style, for suits still stand for something specific, but aside from that we now diversify. I don't see many men switching to suits for daily wear anymore. nor any women.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:11 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
A suit got me the job when everyone else showed up in jeans,
even though the company provided uniforms.

I find people, particularly ladies, treat me a lot different in a suit that fits my style.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Interesting thread so far. It was pretty much a no-brainer that the anti-authority types would make an appearance. What an absurdity to judge a person as LESS trustworthy because he is dressed well.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,052 times
Some places in the Pacific Northwest will get you negative reactions for dressing nicely.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Because they're expensive, hot, and wearing a tie is uncomfortable. I own one suit, and that's reserved for funerals and job interviews. Otherwise, I avoid wearing a suit at all costs. I hate them and don't find men in suits to be attractive.

and I second that.

I too have the wedding - funeral suit.

I hate them also, I see nothing comfortable about them what so ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty