Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Have you had cancer or had a loved one die of cancer? There are less painful ways to die, but, hey, your call.
Yes to both. The point is, at some point in our lives we will get cancer of some sort, or get hurt in a car accident, or any other number of things that can happen, and you might as well enjoy life while you are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:08 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes to both. The point is, at some point in our lives we will get cancer of some sort, or get hurt in a car accident, or any other number of things that can happen, and you might as well enjoy life while you are here.
What's interesting- and a little weird- is the idea that "enjoying life" necessarily denotes doing things that greatly increase your risk of harm, and that people who take sensible precautions against the larger risks have eschewed enjoyment of their lives.

In my case, I manage to enjoy life a lot while not baking myself in the sun for hours without protection.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:42 AM

41 posts, read 51,758 times
I say, let them tan! They can be all leathery and wrinkled and the people of darkness and excessive sunscreen will be the beautiful ones!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Or, alternately, you could just make the choice to avoid exposure to carcinogens as much as possible. I'm sorry, I just don't get the "Well, ya gotta die sometime, so bring on the cancer, by all means!" mentality. I also don't pretend to understand people for whom not getting a tan = "not enjoying life," either, though.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:24 PM

338 posts, read 421,283 times
This thread really belongs in the "Health and Wellness" forum, not "Fashion and Beauty".

Quote:
"make the choice to avoid exposure to carcinogens as much as possible."
Living in a vacuum, in other words.

These days, even stepping out of your house and saying "hello" to your neighbour is considered highly carcinogenic. Just the very act of existing in the universe is bound to give you cancer. Proven fact. Why bother worrying about it?

Statistic: Independent studies have shown that 10 out of every 10 live organisms on Earth are likely to die at some point in time.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Here, we have to worry about getting enough sun. Vitamin D levels are hard to maintain with our weak/sporadic/easily hidden sun. And even then, most people are stuck in their offices for all the sunlight hours.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:38 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I like to get just enough sun to keep my skin a light golden color, which seems the most flattering and healthy looking. Even though when I was younger I used to love to go to the beach or be outside with the specific purpose of "tanning", at 65, I have almost no wrinkles and a glow to my skin. I quit the "tanning" for hours on end decades ago, now my sun is limited to the amount I get during my bike rides.

I think a little sun for most people is healthy and looks good. It is the long hours of tanning that is damaging and also unnatural looking. And yeah, blondes with dark brown skin look weird to me now, even though I bleached my hair blond and got really dark tan as a teen... LOL Tastes change.....

Tanning is definitely not so "in" anymore.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:17 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I think that natural skin tones are visually appealing. I have seen extremely pale people that I don't think look unattractive. In fact as I'm a person who likes (good) tattoos, they look best on very pale skin. Some looks, from that to the classic movie star brunette beauty, you know those lovely classy women of the early days of Hollywood...being tan was not sought after and being pale was lovely.

I don't like people whose tan screams "I'm trying really hard to give you the impression that I live on the beach." Especially when they don't.

But when I lived in Washington state, people literally got sun starved, and it is thought that tanning in a tanning bed actually helps with that state, the depression that comes with the gloom and rain.

EDIT: So I'm clear, naturally tan people for whom it is an obvious part of their ethnicity--that is different. There are many kinds of beautiful.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:11 PM

254 posts, read 464,613 times
As a black male who decided to have a funny youth, I used to walk into tanning salons and ask about their specials. It was more than awesome! I could only imagine walking into a boutique looking for spray tan.

Anyways, I enjoy leathery mates. It's like eating a piece of jerky or some dried apricots. Or maybe like perfect rotisserie chicken. It makes me feel warm inside.

I think we can do what we please to our own bodies as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Although just looking at walking raisins does make my stomach hurt from time to time... Meh.

Man, how I'm hungry. Where's that fried turkey...?

Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
You can enjoy the sun but use SPF50 to protect yourself. I don't consider spending time on a tanning bed to be enjoyable - nicer to warm up in front of a fireplace in the winter.

While I'd rather not be ghost white, tanned people are starting to stand out more and more as being extreme...that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty