Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:47 PM

108 posts, read 114,714 times

Advertisements

Extremities are always harmful. Though sun is important for producing vitamin D but the long term exposure to the white skin is harmful. Because there is very low amount of melanin in the white skin. Melanin is brown pigment in our skin.

A little tan is alright but over exposure is never good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Just look at the ads. They use to always have tans. Now they have no more than a little bit, and its probably sprayed on. When advertising starts forgoing suntans, then you know its not the current fashion.

I was lucky after a teen hood of deep tans and a creative assortment of means to get my darker blond hair pale, I got sick and getting out in the sun made me very sick. I got unused to it and no longer try for a tan. I'm sure this is part of the reason I've had lots of people say I look much younger. I gave up on blond and let my hair be red like most of it tried and love my henna red hair. Goes well with paler skin.

My bil works in construction and didn't worry about the sun until he got a red patch on his neck. When they removed it they said it was precancerous. My sil doesn't have to argue him into using sunscreen any more. And with all the meds people take, a lot of medications have as a side effect making you very sensitive to sun.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,334,315 times
You don't have to convince me. I have very light sensitive eyes, so I've never been comfortable out in the bright sun, even with shades. As a result, I've never tanned. And, lo and behold, now that I'm almost of retirement age, everyone tells me how young I look. I have two younger siblings and every one of their kids has, at one time or other, asked why I look so much younger than Mom and Dad when I'm older than all of them. I tell them it's because I never smoked and never tanned. No other reasons I can think of.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 AM

6,399 posts, read 6,292,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post
Tanning is a sign that the skin has been damaged. Embrace your paleness! I am extremely sun conscious (it's a big deal here- high rates of skin cancer) so I take all necessary precautions. I recently visited my dermatologist who told me to keep doing whatever it is that I am doing now. Mid thirties and no ugly sun damage. I am normally mistaken for being in my mid twenties.........that's all I need to keep looking after my skin!! I really don't think that sun damage on a woman's face or chest is attractive at all. I'd rather be pale, thanks.

The amount of vitamin D that your body needs should be provided by normal amounts of time in the sun doing ordinary tasks. Unless you live in a cave 24/7 then this shouldn't be an issue. I am by no means a "sun-worshipper" but I do spend time outside......it's important for mood too. I have a thyroid condition, which means that I am Vitamin D deficient anyway. i take extra vitamins for this.

Funny that we see a tan as a sign of health when it's really quite the opposite.
"Aussie Gold!" That is a name of a popular tanning bed lotion here.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 AM

4,063 posts, read 2,148,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulmeena View Post
Extremities are always harmful.
I don't agree---my arms and legs have served me well----I think I will keep them! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Old 12-02-2014, 05:47 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,553,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I hate it when people tan all the time. It makes them look leathery, freckly, and fake. I like natural skin tones of all colors, from black to brown to very white, but I don't like skin that looks UV toasted.

And its so unhealthy.

Has the tanning industry slowed down or is it still in full swing?
Do you mean being out in the sun or a tanning salon? I know the salons are very unhealthy . I personally like trying to stay pale but it is not easy for me because I tan quickly and easily. Being outside just a few minutes, driving in my car, can cause me to tan.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:32 AM

3,304 posts, read 3,036,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I hate it when people tan all the time. It makes them look leathery, freckly, and fake. I like natural skin tones of all colors, from black to brown to very white, but I don't like skin that looks UV toasted.

And its so unhealthy.
When I was a teenager in the 1970s, I tanned like everyone else my age. We went out in the sun not only unprotected, but we put on suntan lotion to enhance the sun's effect. Now I am sorry I did that, because my skin has a lot of unsightly brown spots.

What really made me aware of the damage I did to my skin was when I met up for the first time with a woman my age who said she had always avoided the sun. We were similar in appearance and could have been mistaken for sisters, but her skin was like a baby's, and compared to mine, we looked like some kind of weird "before and after" ad for a really effective wrinkle cream.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 AM

5,366 posts, read 5,153,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Just look at the ads. They use to always have tans. Now they have no more than a little bit, and its probably sprayed on. When advertising starts forgoing suntans, then you know its not the current fashion.

I was lucky after a teen hood of deep tans and a creative assortment of means to get my darker blond hair pale, I got sick and getting out in the sun made me very sick. I got unused to it and no longer try for a tan. I'm sure this is part of the reason I've had lots of people say I look much younger. I gave up on blond and let my hair be red like most of it tried and love my henna red hair. Goes well with paler skin.

My bil works in construction and didn't worry about the sun until he got a red patch on his neck. When they removed it they said it was precancerous. My sil doesn't have to argue him into using sunscreen any more. And with all the meds people take, a lot of medications have as a side effect making you very sensitive to sun.
That is interesting that you don't see it in advertising much anymore. I don't usually pay attention to ads, so I don't really notice, but I think that is a leading indicator for fashion.

I'm pretty sure people now are aware of UV dangers (although not everyone is), I'm just trying to get the message out that overtanning isn't attractive.

Its interesting though how some people just tan right away and others burn. I'm a little more on the burn end, which means it's probably more unhealthy for me to have extended UV exposure than the people who tan.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 AM

983 posts, read 996,956 times
A good way to make tanning unpopular? Leave some brochures about melanoma on the bed when you leave. I've never been to a taning place and never will. Getting some sun exposure is vital for vitamin D, but I limit it and wear a wide brim hat all year round, and a white long sleeve shirt in the summer months.

I used to brag how I tanned so well until I met a woman in California who was telling me, "Well, I had this growth dug out last year, and this one two years ago, and this one is pre cancerous..."

That hit home. That's the moment I started covering up.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,990,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
Artificial tanning is unhealthy, but getting real sunshine, I believe, is immensely beneficial to one's health.
^^^this^^^

I'm a guy who honestly feels great being in the sun during the summer (just a few minutes each day).. there's something about it that a) makes me feel happier, b) I like the way my skin looks with a slight tan, and c) although I haven't measured anything I would argue that my body looks better after getting some sun... as if it does something regarding fat composition or something like that which just makes my body look healthier.

Tanning salons, been there done that... I don't care for any of the experience - seems gross and I feel like I have an odd smell on me afterward. I also don't believe the science behind making the bulbs is up to snuff replicating sun energy. Someday they will get it right, but for now, I think the evidence is really apparent that going to a tanning salon is a fast track to aged skin and potentially some skin cancer.

Writing this post in the winter time in an area not getting much sun each day is reminding me how much I love tropical climates. Sun is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty