Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:59 PM

225 posts, read 395,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Do you wrap and tie scarves or buy "pre-styled" tied scarves/turbans, etc.? Cheaper than wigs. I recently bought some long, cotton voile scarves in multi colors ($2.00 each)--can wear around my head--or around my neck, too.
I wrap with all types of scarves only. I do not use pre-styled. That to my way of thinking is much like wearing a wig. Wrapping scarves allows me to dictate the style and accessories I use.

Since my hair has thinned I now keep my hair cut short, think Army Boot camp buzz cut. Quite honestly I like that look but it is a challenge in the winter and in the sun. I do use the velvet head band and I use volumizers in order to help shape the scarves so that I can get the look I want since I have very little hair of my own.

I pick up scarves all over and usually keep the price under $15. Pashminas shawls are my favorite but I will use just about any piece of fabric so long as it flexible enough to tie. If it is slippery I will use hajib pins and straight pins to keep it in place.

I do not wrap for cultural or religious reasons thus I do not limit my self to one particular style. So long as it is flattering to me it is fair game as far as I am concerned and I have a lot of fun doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pics? Or catalogue link?
You can find scarves in thrift stores at that price easily. Amazon has loads of scarves also.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
I dont now but i use to cover my head every day for religious reasons. Id wear a scarf or even a Snood.

Now I just wear it up because its long but if i got called to cover again id likely switch to a Cowl, seen here:
https://www.garlandsofgrace.com/prod.../classic-cowl/

Old 01-17-2015, 07:36 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
You can find scarves in thrift stores at that price easily. Amazon has loads of scarves also.
Are you sure she's talking about used items? If they're all priced the same, it sounds like she has a source for a certain type of scarf that sells at that price.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,214,087 times
Don't misuse the holy turban. Its a sign of respect, and Sardar Ji's might get offended because of it. Here is information.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dastar

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-17-2015 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 08:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,771,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
i have short curly hair so hats have never been a good look for me. When you say "scarf" I think of the wispy square ones my mom (and grandma) would put on when it was windy....I might wear something like that around my neck but never on my hair/head. My hair's too short to tie back or put up so basically I'm stuck with whatever my hair does that day!

BTW -anyone remember those clear plastic fold-up rain hats women used to wear that tied under the chin? OMG - now THAT'S a bad look - thank goodness for umbrellas!
YES I remember both of those.....<shudder>.

The absolute worst thing was if it was raining when I was in elementary school was that my mom tried to make me wear one of those clear rain hats to school. I wanted an umbrella, like everyone else. Nope...did not get an umbrella. So...I learned to keep my hair wet (not blow drying it) so I'd have wet hair anyway, so it did not matter if it got rained on.

I still, to this day, keep my hair wet in the morning...have NEVER blow dried my hair.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:19 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
I often wear caps/hats to cover my thinning hair during the cooler months.

Turbans. One year for Halloween I died a white sarong around the towering bun piled on my head to look like a voodoo priestess, and my husband loved the look on me.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,156,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Pics? Or catalogue link?
My source of inexpensive scarves is eBay. Usually I purchase scarves from sellers in China because the prices are often better but shipping can take 2 weeks to 2 months, averaging 3 weeks. You can do a search for "cotton voile scarf" (if you like this material) I like it because it's lightweight, breathable, and ties easily. I look for the smaller size rectangular scarves (160 x 50 cm which are about 6 feet long). There are lots of sellers but maybe not too many selling this size scarf. I'd include the seller name here but don't know if that's permitted. Often the sellers selling this type of scarf have their main photo as I've copied here.
Attached Thumbnails
Any ladies here wear scarves/turbans/hats to cover their hair?-190757744236_3-1-.jpg  

Old 01-18-2015, 12:54 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,156,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
YES I remember both of those.....<shudder>.

The absolute worst thing was if it was raining when I was in elementary school was that my mom tried to make me wear one of those clear rain hats to school. I wanted an umbrella, like everyone else. Nope...did not get an umbrella. So...I learned to keep my hair wet (not blow drying it) so I'd have wet hair anyway, so it did not matter if it got rained on.

I still, to this day, keep my hair wet in the morning...have NEVER blow dried my hair.

Thanks for posting the photos--come on, don't you love the "retro look"

Old 01-18-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
My source of inexpensive scarves is eBay. Usually I purchase scarves from sellers in China because the prices are often better but shipping can take 2 weeks to 2 months, averaging 3 weeks. You can do a search for "cotton voile scarf" (if you like this material) I like it because it's lightweight, breathable, and ties easily. I look for the smaller size rectangular scarves (160 x 50 cm which are about 6 feet long). There are lots of sellers but maybe not too many selling this size scarf. I'd include the seller name here but don't know if that's permitted. Often the sellers selling this type of scarf have their main photo as I've copied here.
Thanks for the tip. I am going to check that out. I am in the market for light weight breathable scarves for use during hot weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty